First planted tank questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
computerdave200

PTrader: (0/0%)

First planted tank questions

I just started my first planted tank and have some questions. I have already purchased some stuff so I hope I did ok.

I have a simple 10 gallon setup with a 2 bulb fixture that I got for free. This is going to be a new home for my 2 mickey mouse platys which are currently in a 6.5G.

I purchased aqueon colormax bulbs (http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...scent-lamp.htm) and am wondering is these are ok for plants.

I also got Carib Sea Supernaturals Tahitian Moon Sand.

I currently have it set up with a 10 gallon filter (looking at maybee an aqua clear 30, thoughts?)
Super Naturals Tahitian Moon

The plants I used to start were anubias congenisis which I picked up at petsmart.

I have put api root tabs in and the plants but my fish are still in the old tank. Going to move in some old tank water tomorrow when I do a pwc on the old tank.

I am also interested/looking for some shorter plant ideas to put in the foreground that would work.
computerdave200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Hi Dave,

Yeah those Aqueon CFL bulbs will do just fine for plants, but it's a bit on the heavy high light side since each bulb is 10 watts, and since your fixture is for 2 bulbs, so if you used two bulbs, it would be 20 watts for a 6.5 gallon is quite a high number and you could grow some high light plants. So I think you might have to really adjust the lighting time to short periods and etc so it can work well with your anubias. Anubias are easy to get algae especially if the lighting is very strong, and there isn't a balance. By the way, I think the 10 gallon filter is enough, the bigger the filter, the more water flow.. which isn't that good because if it's too strong, it will likely mess up your substrate, cause stress for your fish, and everything else unless you can find a way to decrease the water flow the filter is producing. Some good plants for the foreground would be Dwarf sag, Marsilea Minuta, HG.

Are you planning to set up a low-tech planted tank? If you are, you should get some low light plants to start off like Java ferns, crypts, anacharis, anubias, etc.

Good luck, Dave. And welcome to ThePlantedTank.

-William
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank

Last edited by NeonFlux; 09-02-2013 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: More to say..
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
computerdave200

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that those bulbs will work. I sorry if I was unclear but the new tank is a 10G the old one that currently is running is a 6.5.

Thanks again
computerdave200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Cool

Your welcome!

And oops! I misread your first post lol! Your holding the platies in the previous 6.5 gallon tank currently, and will be putting them in the new 10 gallon eventually. I see. The platies will love ya for the bigger space!

Well anyway, yeah, then the two bulbs, 20 watts total will work pretty nicely for the 10 gallon. So your tank will be a low to medium tech planted tank. And your anubias will do fine. After having the plants in, you need to make sure you dose your NPK and trace fertilizers (I use Seachem Flourish) once or twice every week (only if your doing low-tech. You need to dose pretty much everyday if you go the high-tech route with co2, higher lighting) and you have to find the right balance. Have a good one. Glad I'm able to help out.
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Just an FYI, you can get standard daylight CFLs cheaper than the Aqueon brand that would work just as well. Just find a size that will fit into your fixture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.