120g low tech/light question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-27-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
angelcraze
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

120g low tech/light question

So I recently have added plants to my 120g established tank, low light style. I only have one t8 zoo-med flora sun bulb and an (18 x 1w) LED strip at 6500k. The plants are all doing great, but I have a small outbreak of diatoms, and was wondering if it could be at all light related, and not just silica leaching, since the tank has been going for 3 years with only plants added.

The plants are: Anubias (lots of it), bolbitis, crypt wendtii, brazilian pennywort, spiral vallisneria, elodea densa, amazon sword, and some HUGE (tall) unknown crypt.

I do a weekly w/c of 25-30%, temp is 78 F, ph is 7.2, kh is a weak 3, and n03 is 0ppm. That's all I tested for so far, I'm not sure what else to be concerned with.

The fish are all fine, as always, the tank houses 4 large angelfish and about 16 red and black phantom tetras. And 4 nerite snails.

I was just wondering why I was getting this brown algae. I know it's common with new tanks, but this is not a new tank, just newly planted tank. I read in another thread that someone suggested starting with a 6h photoperiod, then bumping up? I might have gone wrong here, idk, I have them on for 9 hours.

Should I cut the photoperiod to 6 hours?
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
sadchevy
Planted Member

If its diatoms, could be because the substrate was disturbed. If things are going well and you aren't getting algae, leave it be. Only make adjustments when required. I have a semi low tech 125g I'm slowly working on being heavily planted. Good luck and check out the 6 foot plus club link in my sig.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
angelcraze
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply sadchevy, checked out your link, I see you have a lot on your plate too, or a lot of possibilities, however you want to look at it You are lucky to have some support from the other half, Lol, my husband hates my aquarium hobby and mocks me.

I guess the diatoms are dying down a bit, I just hate to wipe off all the anubias leaves. Kinda funny, our tanks are similar, I mean types of plants and size, fish picks. Here's a pic, (complete with TV reflection) don't know if you can see the brown algae, it's on the anubias, some of the brazilian pennywort leaves and glass a bit. I could let it be, just wondering why, I guess.

I syphon the gravel weekly, as I do not have any special substrate yet, and just inert black gravel, and hardly anything 'planted' in it. Those plants on the aquarium floor are in pots filled with miracle gro organic potting soil topped with black gravel. The diatoms were present before I added the big crypts and amazon swords. The wood was just left there, that's how it sunk in place. Wow, never realised before how shaded the amazon sword is on the left, might have to move that.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6233_crop.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	200001  

Last edited by angelcraze; 08-29-2013 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: had to include larger pic
Old 09-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
sadchevy
Planted Member

Your tank looks great. My other half is supportive but not enthusiastic, she likes the tank but don't like the money i spend on it. Pictures really don't do most tanks justice, before you move that sword, look at its growth. It may be getting plenty of light and the camera is just making it look shaded.
Fraternity of dirt #135 The 6 Foot Plus Club

sadchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
londonloco
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have well water, certain times of the year I get a major outbreak of diatoms (on most of my tanks). To clear it up, I add this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=c&cagpspn=pla

Make sure you get the 100mL with mesh bag. I add it directly to a sump chamber, or a filter canister. Also, read up on it, you can regenerate it for continual use.....
londonloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Similar Finding

I had way too much light for years and finally bought a par meter and began lowering the light level. When I finally got my par level down to what is considered low light the plants began growing. And, I got diatoms. I tried increasing the light a bit and started getting algae. So, I reduced to the low level and the algae went away and the diatoms came back. I put 3 small Otos in and they did an amazing job of cleaning the entire tank.
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
angelcraze
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonloco View Post
I have well water, certain times of the year I get a major outbreak of diatoms (on most of my tanks). To clear it up, I add this:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=c&cagpspn=pla

Make sure you get the 100mL with mesh bag. I add it directly to a sump chamber, or a filter canister. Also, read up on it, you can regenerate it for continual use.....
Oh man, I have some of this!!!!! Why didn't I think of this, LOL. Guess I didn't know it works for diatoms.

sadchevy, thanks for the compliment, and I have decided it was just the snap shot

MarkM, I tried to get ottos, but they didn't fare out too well in quarantine. I gave the last one to a friend. But, I did add nerite snails, which I think help a bit, at least the glass and substrate. I agree, I think diatoms, although not technically an algae, is related to algae. I did the same thing in a 24" deep tank. Started with a 15w 6500k spiral and got diatoms. Upgraded to a 23w spiral CFL of the same kelvin, and it changed to green spot algae. The only thing I am confused with is why the plants started growing with lower light in your case.

Thanks all, for all your input, it helps a lot, I feel much better about my tank.