29 Gallon Forest Scape. Critique welcome! (pic heavy) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #31
bennyjam
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

This tank is one of my favorite 29g scapes. Well done, sir.
bennyjam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah-bop View Post

And finally, some sound-proofing for the filter and air pump. Supposedly the canister filter should be silent but mine is really loud. I think I may have damaged it the first time I turned it on. Boo.
Egg crate foam is not so good for soundproofing. It may work well enough but if it's not working for you, a good alternative would be moving blankets. You could make a little frame for them using floor boards and a staple gun. Or you could go all out an use 703 fiberglass panels as well. You need to frame them and cover them if you don't want to be itchy all the time. If interested, look them up on google "703 absorber" or hit me up, either are really simple to do and could be done for pretty cheap. I only say this because I plan to do the same on my next tank if my stand is big enough to allow me to do so.

Great tank. I almost wish it was a 37 gallon which is ironic because it's my least favorite tank size ever. It would work so well for this though.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
synaethetic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Good job!

The time and effort you put in to the design of this tank has paid off well. You achieved the image you were set on creating, and that is often easier said than done. This scape has depth, it gives off a mood and really takes me somewhere else within my imagination as I look at it..

You may have seen another thread on this board with Mot's Moss Canyon aquascape. Your creation along with his seem to be in another league of aquascaping, both being quite original pieces. Very nicely done!
synaethetic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #34
rah-bop
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Moss loves KNO3. Have you checked your nitrates. Also if you have an abundance of phosphates in your water BBA will grow. That is what happens in my tank. Adding KNO3 kill this algae.
Does the nitrate (NO3-) test kit detect KNO3 as well? I tested my nitrates just now and they are 0. None of the supplements I'm using seem to contain KNO3 so I'm assuming that is 0 as well. I am kind of a noob at plants and I'm doing my best to learn, so I'll try researching KNO3. How much do I need? Is there a test kit for it? I don't know anything about dosing with this.

Also, where do phosphates come from? How do I know if I have too many, and how do I reduce them? Sorry for all the questions. You don't have to answer if it's annoying. I'll try looking it up on my own, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Concerning the canister filter, did you check the propeller in the motor?
I did when I was first setting it up and I didn't see anything weird with it. On the other hand I don't know what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Thats pretty crazy soundproofing you got going. I had similar issues with that same filter and finally gave up and purchased an eheim 2217. Check the white piece of plastic you can seeing looking down into the in port and make sure its positioned correctly.
I have an Eheim 2213 on my other tank and I love the hell out of it. The Fluval 405 has a lot of things I like about it and some things that I don't like. I've heard from others that this filter should be silent, and since mine isn't silent I'm sure I've screwed something up. I've tried taking it apart and reassembling it so many times, I've watched videos about it on youtube and scoured the internet for troubleshooting tips but eventually I just got mad and soundproofed the cabinet. For the most part it reduces the noise to tolerable levels, though I can still hear it. It sounds a lot like the air pump, though mercifully a little softer. It's just a consistent mechanical whirr.

Next time I clean the pump I'll try taking a look in there and seeing if I find anything weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Egg crate foam is not so good for soundproofing. It may work well enough but if it's not working for you, a good alternative would be moving blankets. You could make a little frame for them using floor boards and a staple gun. Or you could go all out an use 703 fiberglass panels as well. You need to frame them and cover them if you don't want to be itchy all the time. If interested, look them up on google "703 absorber" or hit me up, either are really simple to do and could be done for pretty cheap. I only say this because I plan to do the same on my next tank if my stand is big enough to allow me to do so.
This is great advice! Thanks! I may try this out at some point. The soundproofing I did is okay but I can still hear the filter.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #35
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Any updates?

I love the concept and execution. I think the concept has a lot of potential for a angelfish or discus tank with all the broken lines of sight and mild lighting.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #36
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I love your tank! Subscribed
Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Does the nitrate (NO3-) test kit detect KNO3 as well?
I'll try researching KNO3. How much do I need?
Is there a test kit for it? I don't know anything about dosing with this.

Also, where do phosphates come from?
How do I reduce them?

I have an Eheim 2213 on my other tank
There is an individual KNO3 test kit. More info on KNO3 here.

I know the city is treating my water with phosphates. Here more info on phosphates

I am using the Eheim 2213 on my 29G. The eheim's are my favorite.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #38
rah-bop
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info, Hilde! Something is definitely out of whack in here so maybe that will help.

Moving on, I have some pictures! Horray! Most of them are terrible.

Here's what it more or less looks like at the moment. I realize this photo doesn't let you see much so I'll try taking better pictures soon.

Here's what it looks like looking in from the left side.

Some of the plants on top. Pictured is a peace lily, green philodendron, ivy, some kind of dracaena and what I'm guessing is a pothos. I also have a spider plant now (not pictured.) It's getting there! I like all these plants but it makes the back of the tank pretty dark. I'd like to get a second light for the back but it's not in my budget right now.

Since the last update there have been a few new additions: 11 neon green rasboras (Microdevario kubotai) and 8 tiger shrimp.

The rasboras are SO hard to photograph because they tiny, fast, and never stop moving ever. They're really beautiful, though! Metallic green with a flash of blue on the top. These have been some of my favorite fish for years but this is my first time owning any.

I'd always heard they were a schooling fish but these ones won't school under any circumstances. But that's okay.

The tiger shrimp are also difficult to photograph because I rarely see them. There are only 8 of them in this heavily planted tank so I only see them on occasion. I'd like to get more soon because I love tiger shrimp.

The other inhabitants are all doing well. I didn't expect the shrimp to breed with so many fish in there but the Taiwan Fire Red population exploded everywhere. There are baby shrimp covering every surface. I love it.

The rummy-nose tetras are also doing well and getting fat. They are very interested in me.

Okay so that's the good news. Now the bad.

ALGAE. I've been really busy lately and tank maintenance fell by the wayside for a few days. For a little while it turned into an algae fiesta.

The BBA is actually kind of getting under control, though it's still in there. Now it's hair algae armageddon.

I'm working that.

HYDRAS. I also need to get some fenbendazole next time I'm out. Working on that too.

Finally, a bunch of my plants are suddenly doing pretty badly.

This is my staurogyne repens. It turned yellowish for a while and then one day shed all its lower leaves. A lot of my other plants are turning yellow and splotchy, shedding older leaves and so on.

On the other hand my mosses are growing completely out of control, so at least there's something that's doing okay! The vals are also quite fabulous. Some of the leaves are maybe 4 ft long.

I'm doing my best but I'm still a noob when it comes to the subtler nuances of keeping plants. Despite my (admittedly modest) research into it I don't know what the deficiencies are -- and there clearly are deficiencies! Hopefully I'll get the hang of it soon.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
maximusprime
Algae Grower

I had the exact same problem with my staurogyne repens! It just withered and died all of a sudden. It has since sprouted new leaves but I still have no idea what caused it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
maximusprime is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
Tiptop
Algae Grower

Man! What a beautiful tank! Really love the composition and the added depth from the slope. Definitely gonna do something similar for my next scape
ROAK Club Member #141
Slice of Sri Lanka|~|Tall Tangle|~|Clouded Creek|~|Lampeye Landing
Tiptop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #41
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

That sucks about the algae but this tank is stunning. That is quite an accomplishment because IMO, a 29 gallon is extremely hard to scape in general, much less in a natural style.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #42
pseudomugil
Algae Grower

Subbed!
your tank is awesome! I love the way the moss and ferns are growing on the wood, it looks really natural which is hard to get in a 29 gallon tank
pseudomugil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #43
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your tank inspired me to start a forest scape 12 gallon shrimp tank. I was thinking of using a Fugeray instead of a Ray 2 (which I think you have right?). Do you think plant growth could work with a Fugeray instead?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #44
rah-bop
Algae Grower

Wow, what an honor, LICfish! I'd love to see it when you get it running!

Yes, I have the Ray 2. I chose this one because it's apparently the best bang for your buck for a deep(ish) tank, but it is SO bright. I don't have a CO2 system and even with fairly aggressive dosing of Excel and fewer hours of light my tank is algaemageddon. I am sure that there are other factors contributing to my algae problem but the light certainly is one of them.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about here, but if you are doing something as small as a 12-gallon I would definitely recommend against the Ray 2. It is so stupidly strong. Also, the quality of the light is really washed-out and everything looks a little drab in my opinion. The Finnex Monster Ray has gorgeous light quality and if you have shrimp I think that would make them glow with color. I don't know what kind of plants you're growing, though, and I don't know what kind of PAR you could get with a Monster Ray, but the good news with a 12 gal is that you don't have a huge amount of depth so you can get away with lights that are less intense. I would look into Fugerays or Monster Rays instead of the Ray 2 if I were in your position.

P.S. I'm pretty new to aquascaping and I barely know what I'm talking about so please keep that in mind.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #45
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Wow, what an honor, LICfish! I'd love to see it when you get it running!

Yes, I have the Ray 2. I chose this one because it's apparently the best bang for your buck for a deep(ish) tank, but it is SO bright. I don't have a CO2 system and even with fairly aggressive dosing of Excel and fewer hours of light my tank is algaemageddon. I am sure that there are other factors contributing to my algae problem but the light certainly is one of them.

Not that I really know what I'm talking about here, but if you are doing something as small as a 12-gallon I would definitely recommend against the Ray 2. It is so stupidly strong. Also, the quality of the light is really washed-out and everything looks a little drab in my opinion. The Finnex Monster Ray has gorgeous light quality and if you have shrimp I think that would make them glow with color. I don't know what kind of plants you're growing, though, and I don't know what kind of PAR you could get with a Monster Ray, but the good news with a 12 gal is that you don't have a huge amount of depth so you can get away with lights that are less intense. I would look into Fugerays or Monster Rays instead of the Ray 2 if I were in your position.

P.S. I'm pretty new to aquascaping and I barely know what I'm talking about so please keep that in mind.
Thanks for your input I also think the Ray 2 would be too strong since I'm not planning to dose too much Excel into the tank. I hear shrimp are sensitive so I'll try to keep only low-med light plants in this one.

I have a silly question for you. Where do you get the egg crates? I have no idea where to look and amazon seems expensive. I must be looking at the wrong ones.

Tags
forestscape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.