Book Club Anyone? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
Mojo028
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

The Metro 2033, 2034 books by Dmitry Glukhovsky are excellent.

As well as the video games they spawned, and there is a movie in the works too.

The Book of SITH is INCREDIBLE!

The HALO saga is amazing as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Mojo028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
mosspearl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
And I'm also starting to write a book, I'm on the planning period, but I have no idea what to write about! *frustrated* I try to include lots of fantasy and romance into what I read/write
Don't give up, Brian. Start small. Write a scene. It can be something simple, like two friends at a coffee shop or at the fish store. Try to write something every day, even if it's just a rehash of what you did that day. This helps you get in a routine and work on the basics like sentence structure, dialogue, etc. If, after doing this for awhile, you still can't think what to write about, you can get books on Amazon that will help you get started with story ideas. Look up plot lines. Once you have a basic idea, embellish it with your own ideas. After you've done a couple, your ideas will begin to flow.

Remember that the first draft is never the finished draft. You wouldn't believe how many manuscripts I get that still need to be revised. Read books about writing. Join a writer's group. Take a class. Whatever you feel will help. And NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is coming up in November. Even if you don't finish with 50,000 words by the end of the month, it's great fun and you can learn a lot hanging out on the forums talking to other writers. Who knows? Maybe someday someone will be recommending your book on this thread.
OOO Order of Ornamentaria
Member in good standing

mosspearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 AM   #18
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosspearl View Post
Don't give up, Brian. Start small. Write a scene. It can be something simple, like two friends at a coffee shop or at the fish store. Try to write something every day, even if it's just a rehash of what you did that day. This helps you get in a routine and work on the basics like sentence structure, dialogue, etc. If, after doing this for awhile, you still can't think what to write about, you can get books on Amazon that will help you get started with story ideas. Look up plot lines. Once you have a basic idea, embellish it with your own ideas. After you've done a couple, your ideas will begin to flow.

Remember that the first draft is never the finished draft. You wouldn't believe how many manuscripts I get that still need to be revised. Read books about writing. Join a writer's group. Take a class. Whatever you feel will help. And NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is coming up in November. Even if you don't finish with 50,000 words by the end of the month, it's great fun and you can learn a lot hanging out on the forums talking to other writers. Who knows? Maybe someday someone will be recommending your book on this thread.
Thanks so much! Yeah, I kinda have writer's block right now, things aren't just flowing right in my mind! But I'm reading more books now that it's school time and I know that I'll have at least something by the end of this year!
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #19
Shrimpo_Brian
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anyone read Unwind by Neal Shusterman? I just finished it, and started on Tuesday! I'm obsessed with it...
Shrimpo_Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpo_Brian View Post
Here's to all you bookworms on TPT: Get in here and talk about what books you've read and what books you recommend to me or some other bookworms! We can all obsess over and talk about some books that we've read!
Couple of weeks ago I finished up Stephenson's REAMDE. The first 80 or so pages were a bit tough, then it got better, and by page 120 I was pretty much hooked. Not his best (Snow Crash is crazier, Cryptonomicon funnier, and Diamond Age deeper) but very entertaining nonetheless. Jihadists in RVs... However there are some books of his that I attempted to read repeatedly and have given up repeatedly too... Quicksilver and Anathem come to mind. All of them seem very original.

Then I began reading Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy, with quite some negative bias, but surprisingly I love that thing. Now on page 1005, about half way done, and can't wait to find out what's next. Very recommended if you are into the fantasy genre.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote