Project: 40Breeder, College Kid - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

This is gorgeous already. What a fantastic hardscape. Wood and rocks is challenging, but yours really looks natural.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepacific View Post
hey thanks for the mention and no problem. your tank looks awesome can't wait to see what it looks like once its grown out.
no, thank you Austin stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
This is gorgeous already. What a fantastic hardscape. Wood and rocks is challenging, but yours really looks natural.
Thank you very much. It was a bit awkward trying to get all the wood to stay in place since its basically composed of all different branches. But from different perspectives it does look like a stump in different ways. I am just waiting for everything to grow in along with the fill. Hopefully then the stump will come to life.

......aaaannnnndddd as of right now. the DSM is going super well. Everything is growing and rooting quite fast. However I am thinking of receding the HC line a little bit, pushing the S repens forward. I would love to fit some hydrocotyle, downoi, and an erio or two in there some, some way. In the end, you always want more and more plants
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just some updated pics. The HC is definitely filling in now, but I am starting to want some hydrocotyle in there maybe. I feel like the contrast between the s.repens, HC and hydro would be a nice carpet; but I never grew the plant before. If i do add the hydro, I would need to recede the HC back, and put the hydro in. Now if I do, do this, should i put the hydro in front or behind the S. Repens?

Also growing some white fuzz on this one piece of wood. It goes away when I spray it with water but comes back by the end of the day. I figured its just bacteria mold? I am sure when I fill the tank, it would be gone

Also thinking of picking up an Erio to jam right in the middle of these three rocks. I think the spikey plant would catch some attention being out in the open of the "field." I tried an erio once but It didnt survive all that well... so I am a little conflicted in this idea.

Still also trying to decide which stem plants to use in the back right.... any suggestions? maybe thinking some different kinds of rotala..
Old 08-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #19
Positron
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking very nice. I'd put the hydro behind the repens and have it grow up the trunk a bit.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #20
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

ahhhh ok. that sounds good. I definitely might have to pull back the HC about an inch or two, move the Repens up that inch or two and put the hydro in the back.

Any idea what I should stick in that little pocket in the middle of the trunk? its a decent about of growing space... maybe a crypt? but what kind.... hmmmm
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Looks like a good spot for Blyxa. I have some + hydrocolyte to spare.

v2
Old 08-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ahhhh you have every plant don't you hahahha any good stem suggestions for the back right Oleg?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 AM   #23
samwoo2go
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

interested to see the fissiden progress
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #24
OVT
Carpe Diem

I was looking at that back right corner...
You don't want to keep the current look?
More s. repens or blyxa for the look.
Otherwise, L. aromatica or Mayaca. A good stand of E. Vesuvius or crypts could work also.

v2
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM   #25
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwoo2go View Post
interested to see the fissiden progress
The fiss is growing nicely on the rocks. But the fiss I placed on the wood seems to dry out rather quickly, so I've been spraying them everyday. I hope it'll pop out more when the tank is filled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I was looking at that back right corner...
You don't want to keep the current look?
More s. repens or blyxa for the look.
Otherwise, L. aromatica or Mayaca. A good stand of E. Vesuvius or crypts could work also.

v2
Ohhhh I thought you meant blyxa for the middle of the trunk in that little pocket! I do want to keep this look, but I'm debating which stems look nice. I feel like the aromatica would be a rather big plant, although it is one of my top fav stems. I was thinking of some crypts too, but there are so many to choose from. I was thinking of skinnier plants like the rotala family that can create a lot of depth. Maybe try some of that macandra again, which was pretty tough the last time you gave me some. The mayaca is a good recommendation but maybe a more purple, or orange color? Tank is pretty green already. Never heard of the Vesuvius until I googled it just now, but that does look pretty awesome as well.

I would love to try some of the reneckii mini, but for how much they are selling, def not worth it.

All in all, uniquely colored, skinny stems... But you're right the aromatica would be a happy, beautiful plant in that corner... May have to keep that plant in consideration...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
OVT
Carpe Diem

Yes, I did mean Blyxa in the middle between the stones. 2 separate subjects.
If you want rotala, Colorata is good one.
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hahaha ok I get you now Oleg. We just aren't communicating well right now. Hahaha

And yeah colorata is really nice, maybe I can do 3 different varieties: colorata, macandra, and something eekse
Old 09-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #28
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

maybe some anubias nana or petite for that hole or around the base as well. but the progress looks nice.
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 AM   #29
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes yes, I actually wanted to put some anubias nana in some of the wood crevices. Thanks for reminding me Austin. Can you DSM those?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #30
inthepacific
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

im not entirely sure about using them for dry start but i mean, you can always just get some once everythings established and plop them in haha. but yea im not sure myself
inthepacific is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.