10g planted RCS tank, 55g community Journal (update heavy) - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #121
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

Guppies are in the 55g
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #122
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

That feeling, when you have a 20L in your trunk because Petco's sale started a couple days ago, and you just dont know how to tell your wife about tank #6.

LOL.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #123
norbot
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Tankyou, just read through all 9 pages of your journal, I enjoy your sense of humor, makes me want to read more, and there are some gems in there! haha The planted tank comedy hour all the way!

Sorry I've missed your journal til now, looks like you've had some fun riding that learning curve like I did!

You may be able to tell this is the first and only forum I've really participated in and I've found that I'm very bad at it! It's hard for me to communicate well to begin with. Take away hand gestures and facial expressions, and I've got next to nothing left! It's crazy how a simple innocent comment can sometimes ignite some serious passion! Still trying to figure how to talk without pissing people off! haha Or maybe that's not possible.

Following are some rambling thoughts I thought I'd share with you:

I really miss Oregon, I think you'll like it there. My girl and I will be moving back there in a year or so with any luck.

I feel your pain with the mts, I think it's just enjoying the hobby, but certain better halves strongly disagree! I got a good laugh out of the secret 20 stashed in your trunk!

I think your tank looks great, you are succeeding in growing flourishing moss, this is no small feat! Is it java moss on the dw? I'm no good at id'ing moss but looks nice

I think those green emerald cories are becoming my favorite, they're so jolly about everything!

I couldn't get p. helferi to cooperate with me, might have been because the package I bought was mostly brown mush, but at least I got them to take 50% off. You having any luck with it?

Have you thought about an emersed container setup? (*avoids angry glare from your wife*) This has helped me understand how plants grow, provides me plenty of spare of plants in case I kill everything (extremely likely btw), has helped recoup some money by selling plants locally, and is very easy and cheap to do. Anytime I get a new plant I always put some in the emersed, I put a tiny piece of s. repens in there and it has taken over a square foot without a single objection! All you really need is a container, some dirt water and light, even sunlight can work.

Anyway, there's some rambling thoughts for you, wanted to chime in and say nice work!

20g journal
29g journal
55g journal
norbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #124
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Moss is looking good!!
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #125
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbot View Post
Hey Tankyou, just read through all 9 pages of your journal, I enjoy your sense of humor, makes me want to read more, and there are some gems in there! haha The planted tank comedy hour all the way!

Thanks I try to keep it entertaining. and Welcome aboard!

Sorry I've missed your journal til now, looks like you've had some fun riding that learning curve like I did!

You may be able to tell this is the first and only forum I've really participated in and I've found that I'm very bad at it! It's hard for me to communicate well to begin with. Take away hand gestures and facial expressions, and I've got next to nothing left! It's crazy how a simple innocent comment can sometimes ignite some serious passion! Still trying to figure how to talk without pissing people off! haha Or maybe that's not possible.

There's always going to be young or stupid people, so you will offend someone, but im pretty sure thats what the internet's for so keep it up

Following are some rambling thoughts I thought I'd share with you:

I really miss Oregon, I think you'll like it there. My girl and I will be moving back there in a year or so with any luck.

We've been there for a week before, the wife has family there

I feel your pain with the mts, I think it's just enjoying the hobby, but certain better halves strongly disagree! I got a good laugh out of the secret 20 stashed in your trunk!

I wrote a note, signed it, and put it in the 20L. I sat it in our bedroom where I know she'd see it after she had been home a minute. I heard "HEY! WHATS THIS!?!" from the back room, I didnt say anything and let her read the note that said something like "Babe! I will not fill this tank until..." and listed things I need to do in my life (no you dont get to know, random people on the internet sheeesh) ((@ everyone reading this lol)) and I just walked back and smiled at her. Im still alive, so I guess game on!

I think your tank looks great, you are succeeding in growing flourishing moss, this is no small feat! Is it java moss on the dw? I'm no good at id'ing moss but looks nice

Thanks again! Its Christmas Moss, and I will probably never have a different one, I absolutely love it. its doing REALLY well I will try to get better pics of the growth!

I think those green emerald cories are becoming my favorite, they're so jolly about everything!

I couldn't get p. helferi to cooperate with me, might have been because the package I bought was mostly brown mush, but at least I got them to take 50% off. You having any luck with it?

Out of all my stems, I only have 1 tiny tiny one left, it is growing SUPER slow and looks stunted, but it IS growing. Pics of that too! ((I also am loving the cory cats but dont want to add anymore fish to the 55 until after the move incase I end up donating))

Have you thought about an emersed container setup? (*avoids angry glare from your wife*) This has helped me understand how plants grow, provides me plenty of spare of plants in case I kill everything (extremely likely btw), has helped recoup some money by selling plants locally, and is very easy and cheap to do. Anytime I get a new plant I always put some in the emersed, I put a tiny piece of s. repens in there and it has taken over a square foot without a single objection! All you really need is a container, some dirt water and light, even sunlight can work.

You must want me to get abused and beaten. lol.

Have not thought about it until NOW. lol. Sun you say? Dirt you say? Container? I have these things... I honestly have never even read into it...

Anyway, there's some rambling thoughts for you, wanted to chime in and say nice work!
usually dont reply like that ^^^ but it was a doosy. lol
I will be checking your journals tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Moss is looking good!!
Thanks!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #126
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
Guppies are in the 55g
Good man.

Quote:
That feeling, when you have a 20L in your trunk because Petco's sale started a couple days ago, and you just dont know how to tell your wife about tank #6.

LOL.
I want to partake in that sale. Stupid bills. Ruining all my fun.

On the emersed setup side of things, I had two running for a while. Paid for a lot of the hobby when I had it setup. You can even put it indoors and run it with some cheap dome lamps and CFL bulbs during the winter and it will work great. I saw a great thread on it, if I can find it I will PM it to you.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #127
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Thanks for the link! I will get into it a bit later when i have time . Excited to learn tho

Couple pics to show moss growth and plants...

I still plan on making this a "tree" just letting it go crazy for now, also tons of baby shrimps i dont want to mess with it just yet by trimming

Full shot of moss growth... I think its doing excellent

I dont know why i didnt retake this picture. Looks rough. Sorry. FTS

Last but not least, a jungle section of the tank, showing off the different plants. Notice the p.helferi in the bottom left corner. All sad and alone :/

Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #128
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Wanted to post this again so people can compare easier...

Im i just straight up forgot about this one... My oto's are freakin ninjas. I never see them...

Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #129
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Tank is lookin good. Lots of moss growth.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #130
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Thanks sir

I added some fluval white ceramic ring thingies (yes i have great vocabs skills) to all my tanks... Just because it looks cool lol. Like a canister filter broke and through chunks everywhere...
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #131
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

OFFICIAL. 55g is gone. Let me say WOW lol. im glad I did that now and not when I was moving. The lady wanted to keep a tiny bit of water in there for the shrimp... and lets say carrying it down 3 flights of steps wasnt fun. lol. But she did give me $20 over my asking price for labor cost

Either way... Im debating on whether or not to setup my 20L or if I should just wait (over 6 months) until we move. I really dont want to get it setup and have it right where I want it in 6mo, just to have to tear it down. Im already kicking myself for having 3 other tanks right now... The blue velvets have to stay separate from the rcs and I dont want any of them in the other tank for the betta ((besides the 4 shrimp already in there))

Maybe I will set it up, and have only moss for now? Im really itching for some OEBT from Duke...

I should be getting an eheim 2213 tomorrow, and I also want to order a LED light to go over the 20L, its just, do i set it up or wait...

RIP 55gal. You will be missed (kinda)

I will probably stop posting in this thread and just make the RCS their own thread
Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #132
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Last tiny update before I start new thread... sorry for 2 posts so close in time.

Came home today and had a dead RCS. Adult, of course :/ I still see TONS of babies but figured id check parameters anyway...

Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 0
Nitrite- 0
((Isnt it bad to have all 0 ppm?))
pH- 7.5~
TDS- 433
gh- 24 drops!!
kh- 10 drops

So, GH is higher than ever, even though ive been doing wc's with RO water, am I adding too much Seachem Replenish? I am using less than recommended. I figured not or my kh would be lower right? or wrong? also, tds is kinda high... from what I know, these things can be changed with lots of small water changes, but im already doing it once a week and it seems to be getting worse?

((blue velvet bowl is identical as theyre on same schedule, well, tds was a tad bit lower))
Old 09-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #133
jkpedrita
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:

LOL.
I did the same thing! They had that 5 off 25 coupon so I almost got the 40 I've been dreaming of. Hmmmm...maybe I'll lead with that when bring out the 20. "It could have been worse, it could have been a 40b."

Great posts!
jkpedrita is offline   Reply With Quote