Quality of your mischlings
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
nycfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quality of your mischlings

I haven't find this topic covered in any sticky or archives so hoping everyone can help me better understand what I've been reading about on mischling shrimp.

Basically, I want to know what questions I need to ask sellers when buying mischlings. Does it all at matter if the shrimp are male vs female in order to improve one's chances of producing TB offspring? Does it matter if the mischling is F1 or F2? According to what I've read on Mendel's Law and if that holds true , there's no mention whether the hybrid shrimp mixed with a TB needs to be either male or female...

I've found that since it's very difficult sex TB so I'm just apprehensive to put any male mischlings into my tank.

Thanks all for your comments !
nycfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (107/100%)

Does not matter M or F, just depends on how you are trying to breed them back. Most try for females because they carry babies better than TB. But in all resluts they seem to be the same in off spring. F1-F4 I see no real difference in. Some say F4 and above give off better chance of Tb when breed back to TB. I have yet to see it gett better.

Mendels law in this does not hold true because it looks like the TB gene is linked to not one gene but several closelly linked ones.

It is hard to get someone to just sell Female mischlings. I tried it when I first started breeding them, got one person to do it for 10 and I paid 14$ each. At that point now might as well just buy mixed grade TB.

best bet is buy 20 mischlings and use the males to mix with your CBS or CRS if they look to have good color. or sell them off cheap as is.
Finnex Pimp #8

Last edited by sbarbee54; 08-28-2013 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: ...
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Mendel's law in this does not hold true because it looks like the TB gene is linked to not one gene but several closely linked ones.
That's what I thought.
People keep referring to Mendel's Law but I was pretty sure it didn't follow it. I haven't heard of anyone have observable Mendel's Law show up in the mischling offspring.
It sure as hell hasn't showed up in mine.

There's a chart floating around the interwebs that I feel is misleading and just untrue with progeny yields......

I feel like this needs to be stated: when you breed mischlings.....expect a low yield of TB's.........like very low.........like lower than an individual would hope for lol.....
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (107/100%)

I agree I was fooled at first. But hey if I can get a low yield of tb out of mishclings I am cool because they do carry better and some is better than none right.

Plus I take back the good colored ones and throw them un My crs or cbs breeding tanks and let them breed back to crs or cbs, and I have seen them end up having deep black and red
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Plus I take back the good colored ones and throw them un My crs or cbs breeding tanks and let them breed back to crs or cbs, and I have seen them end up having deep black and red
That is true some of my later 2nd gen CRS show some wicked WR coloring
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
nycfish
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)

It is hard to get someone to just sell Female mischlings. I tried it when I first started breeding them, got one person to do it for 10 and I paid 14$ each. At that point now might as well just buy mixed grade TB.

best bet is buy 20 mischlings and use the males to mix with your CBS or CRS if they look to have good color. or sell them off cheap as is.[/QUOTE]

You're right - if I can get a large group of juvies, hopefully that would improve my chances of getting some more females .
nycfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Higher generations produce more TB ONLY if you always only breed them with male TB x female mischling. If you have the product of mischling x mischling, the bet is off as the gene is uncertain.

Think about a 5 x 5 Bingo sheet as the TB gene, if you get a Bingo line you get a TB. Every time a TB cross with a mischling you get more stamps, every time you cross mischling with a regular bee shrimp or another misching you may lost some stamps (may add more too, even get a Bingo). So a F5 will come with more stamps than F4 on average, but there's no guarantee that a F5 does have more.
randyl is offline   Reply With Quote