Oil-based poly curing time
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
JoshBA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Oil-based poly curing time

A little while ago I built an aquarium stand using 2x4s and plywood. I coated it several times with an oil-based polyurethane. I've been leaving it out in the sun EVERY day since then for 25 days and I still can smell the solvents (meaning its still curing)!
Does anyone have any experience with using oil-based polyurethane on stands and how long should I expect to wait? I'm worried that if I bring it in now to use it the solvents gassing off will harm my aquarium.
JoshBA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Jess123
Algae Grower

Was it a pre mix or did you mix it yourself
Jess123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
JoshBA
Algae Grower

It was premix: 'Varnathane fast-dry polyurethane'
Old 08-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Oil polys cure within 24 hours. The solvent is usually some type of a mineral spirit. Did you mix the can before you applied?
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I refinished a stand several weeks ago. I had the same issues using Ben Moore alkaloid paint. In my case I used a primer then three coats of finish with sanding between. I followed the instructions in terms of dry time.

I noted that even though the paint was dry to the touch, it was and still is not fully cured. Three weeks later, if you press hard with your thumb you leave a print and feel the adhesion.
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
JoshBA
Algae Grower

Yeah I've heard oil based takes a few weeks but can be notorious for taking much longer. The thing I'm worrying about is off gasing of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). I'm just confused why I its still curing having been sitting out in the hot sun for nearly a month. I know its still curing because I can still smell the solvents. I didn't mix the polyurethane prior because it creates air bubbles and isn't supposed to be necessary.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I don't think the sun is going to make much difference one way or the other. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't going to hurt anything.
BruceF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

A few weeks of curing should be fine even if the smell is still there. Water based poly for the win, 4 hour curing (can't beat that).
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBA View Post
Yeah I've heard oil based takes a few weeks but can be notorious for taking much longer. The thing I'm worrying about is off gasing of VOCs (volatile organic compounds). I'm just confused why I its still curing having been sitting out in the hot sun for nearly a month. I know its still curing because I can still smell the solvents. I didn't mix the polyurethane prior because it creates air bubbles and isn't supposed to be necessary.
SHAKING the can creates air bubbles. Stirring the can is necessary. Especially if its a semi, matte or a satin finish. Anything but a true gloss has flattening agents added. In order to get them off the bottom of the can you STIR.

There isn't as much a problem with water based however. I've shaken the jug every time I used it (and I used it a lot) and never had a problem with bubbles. BTW even with shaking oil poly correct brushing and a quality brush will get rid of the bubbles.

Mr. Green, water based poly is great but if you want the warming effect of oil water based is just too stark. It dries perfectly clear where oil adds that old school amber tone. Also for the most part water just isn't as durable. Yet.

Oil finishes dry in two ways. First is the evaporation of the solvents. Second is the "curing" That IIRC is a chemical reaction.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
if you want the warming effect of oil water based is just too stark
yeah, true.
Nothing a little light stain and water poly can't fix
Also with water poly, you can do multiple coats within a day.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
yeah, true.
Nothing a little light stain and water poly can't fix
Also with water poly, you can do multiple coats within a day.
Depends on the effect you want. Don't get me wrong. As I've said in a few other posts I am a convert to water base on many projects. But there are some that WB just looks wrong no matter what you do.
Each has its place. I like both.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
JoshBA
Algae Grower

Oh okay I see what you mean. The can I used was only about a quart so hopefully I unintentionally stirred it up through dipping the paint brush in and out of it. Thanks for all of your responses! The oil based does have a nice stained look to it, and I think leaving it out in the sun may be darkening the wood (which is awesome).
Old 08-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #13
Jess123
Algae Grower

Sorry to thread jack, but what better? Oil based or water based? I just built my stand last weekend(link in sig) and I just planned on using Thompson weather seal at the same time I seal my deck. But if there's a better way I would prefer that. I also planned on doing a second coat of rustoleums new "neverwet" superhydrophobic coating
Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
GraphicGr8s
Banned

Jess, don't use the Thomsons on a stand. Or anything else inside. For a stand either the oil or the WB is fine. If you haven't done poly before I'd probably use the WB. Easier to cleanup and you can recoat in 4 hours. I prefer the satin finish over the gloss myself. The gloss is just too stark for my taste and I wind up treating it like an auto finish and then waxing for a better gloss. One thing I've been doing is an oil stain with a WB poly. If you use a WB stain and then a WB poly you need to be careful because they will co-mingle on the first coat and muddy the poly.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Jess123
Algae Grower

That's what I needed to know, thanks. I won't be going gloss, I built the stand to match the knotty pine in my living room that is unfinished so I will be using flat.

Just out of curiosity why shouldn't I use the thompsons?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.