ua hua's 90 gal. High Tech NEW SCAPE started8-31-13(new pics) - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #61
ua hua
Suspended

PTrader: (49/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snausage View Post
That's going to be a really stunning tank once it grows in a bit!!!
Thank you. I'm hoping it will fill in with the plants I want and not what plants my fish decide they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydaz View Post
Rotala mexicana sp. Araguaia =??? Is it gone or still there? Add a few more lights and make that the carpet for the tank!!!

Is it possible that the rummies/Roselines are simply going through a "phase" similar to what my Rainbow cichlids when through? They ate and destroyed particular plants for about 2-3 months, and then were fine. No additional supplementation was provided, and i was even able to add in the exact same plants again without any nibbling and such. My guess would be "no," but it might be worth researching a little bit.
The rotala mexicana sp. Araguaia is gone. Another expensive meal for my fish. It really sucks because I love the look of that plant. They really like fine leaf plants and Ludwigia sp. I really hope this is a phase but I doubt it because they have been doing this for awhile. I placed a rock completely covered in mini pellia late Saturday night and today at lunch it looked fine but when I got home from work tonight it was gone except for a few little pieces and after watching at a distance I saw the roselines picking at the rock. It is really not making me too happy. The wife asked me why I keep putting plants in if I know they are going to eat them. My response.. "because I want those kind of plants"... Her response... "Isn't that the definition of insanity, doing the same thing and expecting a different result". Yes it is but sometimes this hobby has a way of making you insane. But if they keep it up I will have the last laugh as they will lose their beautiful home and be making a trip to the LFS to live out the rest of their life in a clown puke gravel tank with a bubbling clam.

The wife actually really loves my fish as I do as I have had them for awhile now so I will see how it goes in the weeks to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Looking Nice!

Have you tried offering Seaweed Sheets to you fish.

http://www.sfbb.com/Seaweed-Salad™-Green_46.php

I cut a 2" x4" pc. and place a vinyl coated paper clip on one end then stick the paper clip into the substrate. In seconds my Cherry Bartbs and SAE are on it with the Amano shrimp going at the scraps.

And my Orandas love the stuff
I used to feed something very similar to my tangs when I had a reef tank but may try to get some and see if that helps any. I have been feeding them a good size chunk of zucchini, yellow squash, and spinach every night and they eat the entire thing in less than 24hrs. You would think they would be full especially since they get fed flake, pellets, and frozen food also. But apparently they just love the taste of my plants so much they can't resist. It must be like fish crack. The funny thing is in a book I have from TFH called "Culturing live foods" they list Hygrophilia angustifolia as a good plant to culture to feed fish. This stuff grows so fast in my tank that they could eat all of that they want and I wouldn't care one bit but they have never touched it.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #62
sumer
Hates love!

PTrader: (23/96%)

Loved the scape. Colors are looking wonderful.
sumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #63
trailsnale
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

hope you still have the roselines. imo, they get better the bigger they get.

beautiful tank!
trailsnale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #64
ua hua
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumer View Post
Loved the scape. Colors are looking wonderful.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailsnale View Post
hope you still have the roselines. imo, they get better the bigger they get.

beautiful tank!
Yes I still have the roselines and they are all now between 5-6" and still eating some of my plants. I'm trying a new thing with some dwarf hair grass I planted. Everytime I have planted it in the past they pull it all up within 24hrs. and munch away on it. This time I put a small piece of eggcrate over it hoping that would deter them from pulling it up. Needless to say they are figuring out how to put their mouths between the squares and pull pieces out. I don't know if any will make it past them but a few more days and I will know.

The elatine triandra is getting to be a pain in the butt to maintain as I have to trim it hard almost every week or it piles on top of itself and starts to look bad. I have some Monte Carlo coming in the first part of next week and will be trying this out and will more than likely phase out the elatine triandra but may keep a little patch of it because I really like the light lime green color of it. I also will be planting a few crypt affins metallic red next week. I can't wait for those as I have been wanting to get some of them for awhile now.

For an experiment for myself I made some root tabs with natural clay similar to the ones in this thread :

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187077

but decided to add a little something different to see what the results would be. After asking around and searching the web for anyone that has tried using kelp meal in their substrate and finding very little info I thought I would give it a shot and it would either work or I would have a disaster on my hands. 2 months in and I have noticed that the heavy root feeders such as the crypts have went crazy and have sent out several daughter plants all over the place including places I don't want them to be. You can see in this picture where one has even started sprouting up in the middle of a big piece of lava rock.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 AM   #65
ua hua
Suspended

Default New co2 reactor/bubble collector

I have been wanting to do this project for the last 6 months or so and finally found time to build it. I have been running an Aqua medic 1000 post needle wheel pump for some time now and while it has worked okay I really haven't cared for the Aqua medic reactor. The flow is really restricted by the bio balls especially after they get dirty and it's a pain to clean out so I decided to build a cerges reactor using a whole house filter. I don't really like the term reactor since the only reaction going on is the contact time co2 has with the water so I would rather refer to it as a bubble collector since that is the goal is to keep the micro bubbles out of my tank since running a needle wheel can make your tank look like seltzer water.

For the most part the Aquamedic has kept most of the bubbles out but I feel I can get the co2 to dissolve better with this new set-up and the maintenance should be a million times easier, I guess only time will tell though. Another thing about the Aqua medic that was really annoying was the gas build up that I would get in the top of the reactor about halfway through the lighting period. I ended up opening up the false gas bleed valve slighty and letting it run into my sump right by the return filter but as the gas would purge out I would get burst of bubbles in my tank. All in all I have about $40 in this new setup and I'm hoping it works as I planned. Here are a few pictures of the pieces used and it all assembled.

Dupont whole house filter and mounting bracket

2 3/4" mnpt elbows and 3/4"mnpt 18" flex riser

1/2" pvc inserted into top of filter housing

If you were going to use this as a reactor and injecting co2 into the filter it would need to be inserted were the red pressure relief button is.

And after all of about 10 minutes of assembly:

I will add a prefilter sponge on the strainer to help slow down the bubbles but might try running it without it as that is just one more thing that will need cleaned constantly. I have a ball valve on the outlet side to control the flow if need be. The return to this goes back into my sump and points directly at the main return pump for my tank.

On another note I will be adding some new plants tomorrow and doing some major trimming. The elatine triandra will be getting a major hacking and I'm not sure where I will be using it yet but it won't be allowed to take over the entire foreground like it has been. I will be adding some monte carlo from Tom to the foreground and I'm hoping it will be a little easier to maintain and stays closer to the substrate. I got it today and it looks great.

I will also be putting in a good amount of crypt affins 'metallic red' from Don on one side of the foreground. It should be here tomorrow so it will be a busy night tomorrow. I will try to post some new pictures after all this maintenance and planting is done
Old 08-27-2013, 04:36 AM   #66
ua hua
Suspended

A non picture update>

This tank will be getting a complete rescape sometime in the next week. I'm not quite sure on the direction I will be going with the new hardscape but I have a few ideas that I have been thinking about but I have a tendency to just go with the flow when it comes to putting the hardscape in place.

I have 7 bags of Aquasoil that should be here sometime tomorrow. I just want to add that there was a mixup on my end when I placed the order and my payment never went through even though I received an order confirmation 2 weeks ago. I called ADG and spoke with Jeff and I must say that he is a great guy and not only did he get everything figured out and fixed but we actually had a nice conversation and he made some nice suggestions to me about some questions I had. I will definitely be a repeat customer with them and I think ADA made a mistake terminating them as a ADA distributor as I would think they would want to be associated with a company that has top notch customer service, especially in this day in age when that is hard to come by.

I also added a 2x54w TEK retrofit so I can play around with some different bulb combinations. I ordered a UVL red sun and some new Geismann Aquaflora and midday bulbs. I really like the look of the UVL red sun bulb although it takes some getting used to as it not normal seeing a red bulb. I have a quite a few new plants that I have been just sticking anywhere and everywhere in the tank for the moment as I knew that this would be getting redone fairly soon.

I still haven't decided 100% on the fauna yet but I do know that the roselines have ate their last plant in my tank. While I do love them I actually would like to see the plants not getting chewed up constantly. There is 8 of them and they are all around 5-6" and quite large. The 40+ rummynose will be going into a quarantine tank until the cycle runs it course since I will be using Aquasoil, so it may be a month or two before there's any fish in the tank. I will be trying to acquire some Apisto panduro or Apisto nijsseni. The only other fish that I plan on getting is some bushynose plecos and maybe cory adolfoi or orange lazer cories. I would like to add another type of tetra but I'm not sure what would be a good choice so any suggestions would be taken into consideration. I thought about ember tetras or von rio flame tetras.

I may or may not start a completely new journal thread but if not this will be updated in the next few weeks with some more of my crappy photo taking skills.

Last edited by ua hua; 08-27-2013 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: ....
Old 08-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #67
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Will be looking forward to the new layout. I always found it enjoyable to redo the tank (though I hated trying to get the fish out of the tank).
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 AM   #68
ua hua
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Will be looking forward to the new layout. I always found it enjoyable to redo the tank (though I hated trying to get the fish out of the tank).
Yes Mark I know exactly the feeling. Part of the enjoyment for me is trying new things and tinkering with the system. I'm not looking forward to catching the fish either but more than anything I'm dreading scooping out 150+ lbs. of old substrate. I have only rescaped this tank once in the last 5 years and I didn't have to remove any substrate that time, I just removed the plants and hardscape to start anew.

I'm one step closer as I was pretty excited today when the UPS guy showed up when I wasn't expecting them because when I tracked my Aquasoil this morning it said it was in Oklahoma City. I told the UPS guy their site must be off but after opening up the box I realized that maybe it wasn't because there was only 3 bags of Aquasoil so apparently the other box with the rest of the Aquasoil got seperated from it's friend along the way so hopefully the rest will be here tomorrow. I plan to get started sometime Thursday evening after the kids go to bed and I took off Friday so I can finish it while their at school and daycare. It's not easy redoing a tank with a two year old running around with fish crap everywhere. I'm hoping the two other packages of plants I bought show up by Friday or Saturday at the latest so I can get it all planted by the weekend.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #69
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (426/100%)

I am excited about your re-scape! Hope you post 10,000 photos of the whole process.

You've done great work so far, so I'm sure the new setup will be terrific.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #70
ua hua
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
I am excited about your re-scape! Hope you post 10,000 photos of the whole process.

You've done great work so far, so I'm sure the new setup will be terrific.
I will try to post pictures along the way but if I took 10,000 photos then I might have 50 good ones to use. Did I mention I suck at taking pictures.

The other box of Aquasoil arrived today so sometime tomorrow night the redo will begin. I have 2 huge lava boulders that were in my backyard when I moved in and my wife thought they looked like 70's landscaping (whatever that means), so they were put in the shed as I knew that someday I might want to use them for something. Some of the rock in the tank now is from busting some of them up a little. Tonight I went to town with the chisel and hammer and broke off some pretty cool looking pieces. Two of them are really good sized pieces as the 2 biggest lava boulders that I have been taking pieces off of are about 3'x3' and really heavy considering lava rock is porous.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:31 AM   #71
ua hua
Suspended

2 1/2 hours later.....

Hardscape out, plants out, fish out and in quarantine tank, and a little over half of the old substrate is out. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow morning. Scooping out the substrate with a small cup is taking way too long so the shop vac will be getting used tomorrow to get the final little bit.

One thing I learned tonight is Roselines can fly or at least that can jump from one side of a 4ft. tank to the other even with only about 4" of water.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #72
ua hua
Suspended

Everything is done. I started on it yesterday morning at around 8 and finally finished it about 5. I'm really happy with how it turned out and amazed at how clear it is after only about 14 hours. It was pretty cloudy after filling up yesterday. I ended up only using 4 3/4 bags of Aquasoil and I guess I will have plenty left over to fluff up the substrate if I need to or if/when I ever decide to redo it. I have to say that planting plants in Aquasoil is a night and day difference between planting in Flourite. I always had a hard time getting some stem plants to stay in the substrate. I would plant them and they never felt like they were secure. With Aquasoil no problems whatsoever.

I also added another 2x54w Tek retrofit that I put into an old cf housing that I had. I will not run this light for very long but I really love the look the UVL red sun puts in combination with the other bulbs. So right now for bulb combos I have (2) Geismann midday, ATI purple plus, ATI blue special, Geismann Aquaflora, and UVL red sun.

I have my co2 cranked really high right now since there is no fauna in the tank. I will be doing 50-70% water changes every other day and checking ammonia readings. I'm in no hurry as I'm still undecided on what fish will go back in the tank. I'm still pretty set on some Apisto panduro or nijsseni. I will be taking a few pictures later today after the water clears up a little more
Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #73
ua hua
Suspended

The new scape...

That's all for now. I still have about 2 dozen nice size crypts that I haven't decided if I will use yet or not. It's planted pretty heavy now except for the foreground which will fill up in no time as elatine is a weed.

Last edited by ua hua; 09-01-2013 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: ......
Old 09-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #74
ua hua
Suspended

Everything is doing really good so far I haven't even seen the crypts melt much except for the crypt affins metallic red lost all of it's leaves but all should be good in a week or so. All the stem plants have perked up real nice after a full day of light and co2 blasting. I can't begin to say how much I like the Aquasoil from the looks to the ease of planting in, I should have switched a long time ago.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #75
ua hua
Suspended

Day3 of the new scape and yet another 50% water change. All the plants are looking good except for I started to see some melting in the H. 'Araguaia' and bylxa(which is to be expected). The water is completely clear which is a surprise after reading many say their tank was really cloudy for a few days after using Aquasoil. I will continue to do 50% w/c every other day for the rest of the week and then just start doing the normal 50% w/c every week.

It's nice to see the new growth on the plants without having bites taken out of the new leaves. It became common seeing it with the fish I used to have in the tank. I'm now debating whether I want to put the rummynose back in also. I have 44 rummynose as I was finally able to count them when removing them from the tank. I have decided to get about a dozen Inpaichthys kerri(blue emperor tetras) and a group of 4-5 Apisto panduro. I would like to add some cories also but will wait until the groundcover is really established. I have narrowed it down to gold lazer or adolfoi. I would love some green lazer cories but the cheapest I have found is $130 for 5 or $150 for 6. That's a little more than I'm willing to spend on some cories although they are really cool looking.