DIY ADA-Style 60P Stand - Advice Needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

DIY ADA-Style 60P Stand - Advice Needed

I'm considering getting a 60P and I've been contemplating on trying a DIY stand or go cheap/lazy with an Ikea Stand (a la Expedit or Besta).

Anyway... I'm a novice DIY 'er but I'm capable if instructions are very clear. My Dad (retired) has some wood working skills (me, not at all). Anyone care to help me with some detailed instructions and blueprints or something? Or if they exist online and I missed them somewhere, link it here? Also, what's the rough cost estimate for a DIY stand? Is it really hard to make? Or would I be better off looking for a local pro wood worker, give him the blueprints, and let him do it? Lol Trying to determine the cost/benefit for such a venture.

Thanks guys!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
tropicalmackdaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Depending on the tools you have id say a minimum of about $300.
Thats how much it cost me for router bit + glue + hinges + laminate + wood

Aquarium projects has a very detailed walk through. Just google it
Old 08-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Thanks...I'll check it out.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I think we built my stand for about $75 including the conduit to hang the light. As for blue prints you just have to look at threads and draw it out.

Here is my build thread. Just google DIY ADA stand for more threads.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...845&highlight=

And here is project aquarium's detailed instructions
http://www.projectaquarium.com/plant...riumStand.aspx
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
I think we built my stand for about $75 including the conduit to hang the light. As for blue prints you just have to look at threads and draw it out.

Here is my build thread. Just google DIY ADA stand for more threads.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...845&highlight=

And here is project aquarium's detailed instructions
http://www.projectaquarium.com/plant...riumStand.aspx
Oh this is GREAT! Thanks for the input and those links! The 300$ estimate earlier had me looking to the Ikea stands again! LOL But keeping the project under 100$ is way more palatable.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Oh this is GREAT! Thanks for the input and those links! The 300$ estimate earlier had me looking to the Ikea stands again! LOL But keeping the project under 100$ is way more palatable.

Shop around but I personally feel that $100 is still too low.
Around here at least, a quality sheet of furniture grade birch or maple 3/4" ply is at least $60 and you'll need at least one, probably more. A decent quality euro hinge is about $8-10 each. That is already $100. Then a couple of bucks for the hardware & glue to put it all together. And finally if you're going to laminate it, the cost of the laminate & glue and if you don't have the trim bit for the router there's that as well. If you paint it you can cut some cost but there would still be the cost of paint, filler/putty & sandpaper. Euro hinges are best installed using a jig which would be additional cost, if not there is still the cost of the drill bit which is a special size. This is all assuming you have the basic tools - tablesaw, drill(s), and a router.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you're going to paint or laminate it, you don't need furniture grade wood. You just need something that is strong enough to support the tank so the cost of wood shouldn't be that high.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
If you're going to paint or laminate it, you don't need furniture grade wood. You just need something that is strong enough to support the tank so the cost of wood shouldn't be that high.
I guess it's a matter of choice. You are right, surface defects would be hidden so that's not important. The primary reason to use it is due to the higher number of plies which makes it stronger and more dimensionally stable. If building a stand without internal support and relying soely on the panels for support & rigidity I personally wouln't build it with construction grade ply. If I use the panels to cover internal framing then construction grade would be okay. You could also go with MDF which might be cheaper but doesn't always do well around water.

Also take into consideration my location where things are a lot more expensive. Either way, a sheet of ply is at least $40 or so, a sheet of laminate $50 & hinges at least $25 or so for euros.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Not that I have ever made one buy as a few said, it really is going to cost a fair amount in tools. I have contemplated building some new stands (likely ADA style) because I don't use power saws and if I want to learn, now is the time as my father would likely teach me and he is getting old. Though it would be cheap for me to make it off his tools, I would likely invest in my own so I can start doing other things, the stands just being a place of learning. I could see myself spending over $100 on clamps alone, much less a table saw, router, and possibly a miter saw. Those are all things I really am thinking I should learn though. Obviously, that's my story and I don't know how much applies.

One thing to consider is if you are not totally set on an ADA style stand, you can always go out and buy a stand for a 15/20 gallon standard tank.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am going to use modified plans from the net to replace the stand I have for my 50g. It won't be the least expensive that I could have, (The old table I'm using now set me back 15 dollars at a used furniture place.) I am planning to use red oak 2x2, 2x4, and 1x3 lumber for the frame rather than pine 2x4 studs. I found out that I can order 3/8" plywood with one side finished with cherry and will use that for the front and sides. I will have a friend make three raised panel doors out of 1/2" cherry stock. I will have about $400 in lumber and a lot of time but that should fit in with the rest of the furniture around here. All finished in dark cherry stain and poly finish coat.
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.