Turtle Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 07-31-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Turtle Tank

My wife has 2 5 inch turtle in a 20gl long turtle tank . I've told her many times that they need a big tank like a 40g or more but does not want to listen , so I thinking a good canister filter like Eheim Ecco 2236 Canister Filter or Eheim 2222 Canister Filter and also been looking at the Hydor Pro 250 Canister Filter , some thing that will hold at least 3 basket of good grade activated carbon ammonia remover chips. Any thing better than the little hang on filter that she has on the tank now.

what do you think , I could always use a good filter after her turtles die like I tell her.
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Any canister filter that is rated for 2-3 times that tank would be more than sufficient I think. I'd skip the carbon though. Its only good for a week or so. Drop some purigen in there and it'll last longer.
thelub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

they will outgrow that tank in months. i gave away a turtle once i realized how much better he'd be without me. he's in a friends backyard pond now.

a better filter would be nice, but you'll still need to address small tank issue.
even a 40 is pretty small. i had 1 turtle in a 75 gallon and i thought it was pretty small for him.
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

If the turt is a female she will need at least 90gal I have two full grown males and 5 young ins the ended up being 4 girls and 1 male, 1 of my big boys are in a 90 I built custom from acrylic with a custom filter and the other in a 50gal with 2 duetto 100 filters and believe it or not their water is much better than the water in my planted tanks. I have the little ones in a 10 gal but now they've outgrown it so I have a custom 25-35 gal Iade for them just need some space to put it tho. As for the water in the big boys tanks it's clear and in balance and I change it every 2 weeks sometimes 1 time a week but it never stinks and is always clear I don't have anything for a substrate besides gravel in one so I have to vac that one thoroughly but it's no big deal as the room it's in ( the tank) is next to the bath room and I use a aqueon water changer with extra long hose mainly to reach the other tank in my attic. So as far as filters go for turts it experience either make one out of PVC pipe or the duetto 50-100 works very well and are very easy to clean with one turt.
newbieplanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #5
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

She bought the Marineland C-220 Canister Filter , I told her I would have gone with a Fluval 306 Canister Filter myself , But she did mention about a bigger tank down later ounce she read a few report's about turtles .
Old 08-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
She bought the Marineland C-220 Canister Filter , I told her I would have gone with a Fluval 306 Canister Filter myself , But she did mention about a bigger tank down later ounce she read a few report's about turtles .
That will be cool cuz u don't fill their tanks all the way an those do I think 50gals. The turtle don't need that much water. A friend of mine has a 13" dia one Female in a 120gal and the water is filled to about a little more than a 1/4 of the way but he has a 3" substrate of rocks and a few pieces of lighting grid made into a cave in the middle of the tank an it fits his turtle in there ( cave ) so I would say about 60gals but look at that tank size. Mine is in 25-30 gals in a 55gal tank and the 90gal I got is only filled about 30-40gals an they seem happy floating all day besides when they get out on the rocks to dry off. Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

What kind of turtle? Some turtles stay small. I have two razorback musks in a 40b and they're happy. A red eared slider would be a different story.
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

If she insisrs on wanting a turtle inside, in a tank, research musk and map turtles. Some of those stay really small. 4"-6"
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

will what she has is 2 red eared slider turtles about 4-5 inches , we had them since they were about a 1/2inch or lest size , both males I think .
But new question we just got our new filter system , what would be the best way to set up the filter system to keep it clean , I came with coarse filter pads first basket,the second has 2x pouches of charcoal {i have a large jar of unused charcoal would it be best to just fill the basket or get filter bags} the filter also came with bio balls and ceramic rigs , witch I don't think would work for a turtle tank.
What is the best replacement . I taught of just charcoal and ammo chip's? I know the first basket has to be the coarse pads to catch any heavy trash but what about the other 2 basket , it also a thin filter white pad at the end before the exit {will need that}

any thought's thank's
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
newbieplanter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It will be easier to change the charcoal with it in a bag but that's up to u if u can try n get another fine pad (white) in my exp the balls don't work for some reason only with fish so u can replace them or leave em just to use the space they only need the coarse, medium,fine filter pads with some charcoal in there some where for the smell. They will be ok in that tank for a bit tho. Look at the claws to see if male or female longer nails its a male shorter female. That's just a quick way to tell the other is the tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
will what she has is 2 red eared slider turtles about 4-5 inches , we had them since they were about a 1/2inch or lest size , both males I think .
But new question we just got our new filter system , what would be the best way to set up the filter system to keep it clean , I came with coarse filter pads first basket,the second has 2x pouches of charcoal {i have a large jar of unused charcoal would it be best to just fill the basket or get filter bags} the filter also came with bio balls and ceramic rigs , witch I don't think would work for a turtle tank.
What is the best replacement . I taught of just charcoal and ammo chip's? I know the first basket has to be the coarse pads to catch any heavy trash but what about the other 2 basket , it also a thin filter white pad at the end before the exit {will need that}

any thought's thank's
Old 08-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #11
inkslinger
Wannabe Guru

I didn't know if the ceramic rings would be any help with the fine filter pad that sits on top of the basket for turtle tanks, {it came with 4 baskets} I didn't think the bio balls would be any good for turtles, had my doubts on the ceramic rings also.
I fig if I poured the charcoal in I would have more and even in the basket with out any by-pass and thought that 1 basket of zeolite Ammonia Reducer the last basket is up for grabs with the fine filter pad?