LFS in beckley WV
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > West Virginia

Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

LFS in beckley WV

i don;t know if anyone from wv actually checks this, but i'm moving to beckley in two weeks and was wondering if there are any worthwhile pet stores or if i should just go to specialty pets in nitro haha.
daverock1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

To funny! Headed into Beckley July 4th. Family all over the area but none keep tanks.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #3
ceiji
Planted Member

PTrader: (44/100%)

am from charleston.. the only lfs worthwhile around here is speciality pets in nitro. but do call them and enquire about their stock before stopping by. their stock comes in every thursday.
ceiji is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
dubvstudent
Planted Tank Obsessed

I live in Beckley for 15 years. There isn't much around specific to planted tanks when I left but I knew of a couple pet stores in the area that might be able to help you out.

There is a pet supplies plus near Wal - mart. They use to keep a tank full of aquatic plants. Their stock looks healthy.

There is a place called exotic jungle atop spragg hill. I wouldn't buy any live stock from there. Whenever I went in there it was a wreck and the tanks were filthy.

There was a pet land but the last time I was there they had either closed or moved.

Princeton is about 30 min south of Beckley on interstate 77. I have a buddy that still lives in Beckley and he goes there to get saltwater stuff now. I have never been but if they are into aquariums enough to stock saltwater livestock it is a pretty good bet that they have some stuff for planted tanks too. I unfortunetly cannot remember the name of the place but you can probably get a good idea from google.
dubvstudent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #5
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

exotic jungle is called pets n things now, and i agree. i live on cohen st right off spragg hill. there is a petsmart by the mall also, but it has a small fish section. no plants anywhere except psp. i usually buy mine online in the sns. specialty pets is an hour away, so i may just use them for fish. might have to check out the princeton store also.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
HenryJoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

theres a place called Paradaise Pets in Beckley
HenryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
tattoolew

pets n things is coming around in the saltwater dept. They just got a new guy that really knows his stuff, but there are 2 decent lfs in princeton. 1 in particular is personal touch pet store in glennwood a town near princeton. They have several plants but they put them in gravel and use flourish. So no dirt tanks and they have an awesome amount of freshwater fish and a decent saltwater selection. The aquarium in bluefield, WV is really good but limited in size.

Last edited by tattoolew; 12-29-2011 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: New employee
tattoolew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

pets n things is coming around. they have had plantslately, not just swords and wendtiis like im used to at a lfs lol.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
davidadelp
Algae Grower

yeah there isnt any really good LFS in beckley for planted tanks. PSP can order plants and discus for really good prices. I wouldnt buy FW from Paradise pets and petsmart carries limited stock, and no plants. Specialty pets in Nitro is a good place to shop for planted tanks. Ron is the main man who does the plants and FW planted tanks.
davidadelp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

i actually switched my tank to a reef about a year ago. also set up a frag tank to grow and sell corals out of. it has about 25 different kinds of zoa/palys growing out right now.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
davidadelp
Algae Grower

Nice I just shut my reef down to go planted and will be trading my 65g into specialty pets to get me a 75g
davidadelp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.