Sad Hygro & hc
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #1
hamato
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sad Hygro & hc

This is what I'm dealing with. I have about 8 stems of various species of hygrophila and every few days I'm fishing leaves out of the tank that look like the below picture. Many of the leaves still attached don't look too much better. Some are filled with brown pinholes, some with large transparent patches, and others edges covered in bba.

Tank specs: 12g co2 injected, dosing EI, lights on 8hrs per day. Substrate is fine eco complete. I've been battling algae outbreaks on my HC & hairgrass, with a lesser extent on the hygro. The battle is not going well Only otos & CPDs in the tank so nothing that would eat the plants.

Just looking for where I am going wrong here! This fun hobby is driving me crazy

Bonus sad hairgrass & hc! It's hard to see, but all the dark green on the HC is algae, with the bright red dead algae from Excel treatment. The hairgrass is mostly bad because a lot of it didn't survive planting and I kept hoping for it to come back to life. In the mean time 3 kinds of algae moved in!

hamato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

If you're already dosing EI, try increasing and maintaining a higher CO2 level
Old 08-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
hamato
Algae Grower

If I increase the CO2 any higher, it starts killing my fish. One thing though is the levels don't get high enough to cause this until about 6-7 hours into injection (I start co2 1.5 hours before lights on). My dropchecker turns yellow at around 5-6 hours into injection. My HC begins to pearl around 2 hours before the lights go out at the end of the day. This doesn't seem optimal to me.

Could this be a circulation problem? The bubble rate is constant and can not be increased due to the overdose issue, and seems to be diffusing ok, but at a very slow rate.

I have a 2217 with inflow and outflow both on one side of the tank. I can see the water make a full loop of the top of the tank via the floaters, but I can see there may be some dead spots closer to the surface. I'd rather not throw in an ugly/noisy powerhead but I will if I need to!

The other issue is light. I have 10 cree XT-E's running at 350ma around 1.5 feet above the tank. Too much light, too little? They can be adjusted up to 700ma if desired.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
hamato
Algae Grower

Well I increased my dosing. Previously I was dosing a weeks worth once a week. Now I'm dosing every second day at roughly 2x EI dosing. I read that the holes in the leaves may be caused by lack of Potassium so I'm hoping this helps.

Not sure if I should just rip out all the hairgrass & HC. It's still growing but algae isn't letting up. Unless I solve the underlying issue I fear it will just make things worse.

Any suggestions on how to get back on track with this tank would be much appreciated!
Old 08-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #5
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Where were you getting your EI dosage from?
EI doses are typically given as a single days dose, this is given 3X per week alternating with micros.

Is all areas of the tank exhibiting the same conditions? If it were a circulation issue I'd expect some areas to do better than others.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

You should inject CO2 at a rate to get saturation in a couple of hours. HC can pearl within a couple of hours. You can adjust your timer to turn off for midday break for levels to normalize so you don't OD. Hmm a 12gal shouldn't have flow issues with the setup you use. Perhaps things are just going through a stabilization phrase if you changed variables recently? Algae can bloom during periods of destabilization and takes a while to die off even when balance returns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.