Superior Branch Dirted 20L - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #76
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Superior Branch Dirted 20L

I took a video of my initial setup so you all can see up close and personal what's going on around here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiTrk...ature=youtu.be
tylergvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #77
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking good!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #78
Fusion2002

How did you sift the potting soil? Like a kitchen sifter for flour?
Fusion2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #79
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion2002 View Post
How did you sift the potting soil? Like a kitchen sifter for flour?
There are many ways to sift MGOCPM but after reading about it more, I wouldn't sift it at all. The larger chuncks act at time release nutrients. =)

I use the top to the tank which is in the first couple pictures. I just placed the reptile top over a bucket and pushed the soil back and forth. The fine gravel falls through and the larger chuncks you keep for potted plants. It's a lot of work though and not really worth the time.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #80
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Default Plants! Plants! Plants!

I planted my other two plant package today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	196762

Name:	002.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	196770

Name:	003.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	196778

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	196786

Dirt Convert, hooked me up with an insane amount a Vals. Way more than I intended which was a good thing because my tank is now officially heavily planted! He also gave me 3 crypt varieties.

PLANTS PLANTS PLANTS!

jkan0228, sent me some Anubias Nana Petite which I cut into smaller sections. I wasn't really sure how to cut them nor was I sure how to plant them. So, I wedged them in between the rocks in the picture. I hope they will do well planted that way... jkan0228 also went me some crypts.

I got everything planted except a hand full of Vals. Might have to ROAK them off or I might grow some in my EBI tank. I haven't decided yet. The moss and dwarf sag came from my EBI tank. I deviated from my original plant layout because I received so much Vals. lol I got Vals coming out of my head! I had no choice but to incorporate more of 'em, but I like the look of a full background. I should also add that I am not satisfied with the rock formation. It's not natural looking enough for me. I'm sure I will be rearranging that soon.

The cost of all 3 plant packaged totals: $65. I was only planning of spending about $50, but it was worth it to get extras!

Now we wait and watch closely!

Last edited by tylergvolk; 05-24-2014 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #81
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Those are some good looking plants! The trade/ROAK section here is awesome.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #82
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nice plants man. The swap here is the best. I have bought plenty and sold plenty. Always great people and deals.

Your anubias looks good. Just make sure the rhizome is not buried and you will be ok. You can tie it to the rock or wood and it will attach itself to it over time. Same with the moss. Or some gel superglue will work too. I prefer the tying method though.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 AM   #83
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys!

I got Val's that were on steroids! lol

The crypts were hard to plant. The roots were all stiff and going every which way. Tomorrow I will make some adjustments.

Ill have to look up the Anubias attaching. I wonder if it bad that I have the rhizomes in between rocks?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #84
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

As long as the rhizomes aren't being damaged from the pressure, I would think it would be ok.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #85
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

I read somewhere that crypts melt when transplanted and will not bounce back in new unstable tanks. Do you think my crypts will make it? Anyone have any experience added crypts to a new tank?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #86
Dirt Convert
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have personally never had crypts melt unless I left them out of the water for a while when I was rescaping the tank. They generally dont like being moved around much as it takes a little while for the roots to get established. It may take a month before you start seeing a lot of growth. If the roots are pretty long I would cut them back to make it easier to plant. If you need you can place some small rocks around the base of the plant while they root them self. I have dealt with trying to get a big unruly root to stay under the sand many times and I finally gave up and cut them. I haven't planted crypts in a new tank so I don't know for sure how that would work. I don't see any reason why they would have trouble in a new tank.
Dirt Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:48 AM   #87
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

I'm going through Crypt melt right now after about of week of planting, but there's already some smaller leaves forming at the base. Time will tell, but I don't see why they wont re-establish in a newer tank.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #88
tylergvolk
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Convert View Post
I have personally never had crypts melt unless I left them out of the water for a while when I was rescaping the tank. They generally dont like being moved around much as it takes a little while for the roots to get established. It may take a month before you start seeing a lot of growth. If the roots are pretty long I would cut them back to make it easier to plant. If you need you can place some small rocks around the base of the plant while they root them self. I have dealt with trying to get a big unruly root to stay under the sand many times and I finally gave up and cut them. I haven't planted crypts in a new tank so I don't know for sure how that would work. I don't see any reason why they would have trouble in a new tank.
I cut some of the roots on these crypts because the roots were snarly and long. I have them all planted now. I plant to just leave them in place and see what happens. I did seed my filter so my cycle time will be next to nothing especially with all these plants; however, I have done any testing. Next week I will start testing and dosing nutrients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
I'm going through Crypt melt right now after about of week of planting, but there's already some smaller leaves forming at the base. Time will tell, but I don't see why they wont re-establish in a newer tank.
sounds like you are in good shape pappy. New leafs are good thing. Hope it turns out for you.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #89
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Convert View Post
I have personally never had crypts melt unless I left them out of the water for a while when I was rescaping the tank.

i just did this, crap

ive moved my wendti around a lot and it hasnt really slowed down its growth but leaving it in the air too long really caused some substantial loss

just trim the dead leaves and wait it out. they will bounce back

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #90
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
I read somewhere that crypts melt when transplanted and will not bounce back in new unstable tanks. Do you think my crypts will make it? Anyone have any experience added crypts to a new tank?
Crypts tend to throw hissy fits when you move them around. They will melt a bit, but should bounce right back. Just plant them and don't worry about them for a while except to remove the melting leaves.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote