Western Mass plant swap - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #91
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

No I didn't see that. I'm not sure how...

I think that could work. I've got a 5-6" stem of alternanthera reineckii that I trimmed and replanted about a week ago that you can have, plus 2 smaller rooted trimmings. I've got a few rooted stems of ludwiga repens you can have..

I'll pull half of the frogbit off a 10 gal for you (may have duck weed, though I've gotten rid of most of it!)

The gudgeons are still young and not eating flake yet, so you'd need to do bbs and/or microworms until they start to take flake. I've been offering a little bit of flake daily before I feed them their live food to try to get them to take it, but they keep spitting it out.

I've got some nice looking rotala nanjeeshan that I can trim back.. Want some anubias? assuming tattooed doesn't take it all you can have some. I recently rooted some nymphoides sp. "Tawain" as well if you want some of that too.

Whats your tank setup? I'll try to put together a package that would work with your light/co2.

I need headcounts on microworm cultures. I need to get them moved over to separate containers. So far I think it's just Qwe.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #92
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

The tank I'm prepping for is a 75 gallon, potting soil capped with sand, shop light with 1 cool white and 1 6500k bulb, no CO2, and a 10 gallon refugium-type sump.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...02#post3957202

The gudgeons would go in their own 20 gallon that has nothing but hundreds of snails in it atm... do they appreciate a strong current? I need to read up a bit more on them...
Qwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #93
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The gudgeons come from slow moving waters, so no on the strong current.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #94
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's too bad, was thinking of making it a hill stream tank...
Old 08-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #95
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay I have one for microworms. Any other takers?

Qwe. Your culture should be usable upon delivery. I'm splitting one of my fading cultures today and it should be harvest-able by Sunday. I'll give you care instruction then (whether you choose to follow them is up to you!)

I'll start pulling and bagging plants on Saturday. Everything should come in a labelled ziplock bag. I'll also note what snails and fish may have eggs on what plants as I have assassin, pond and ramshorn snail populations in different tanks and my threadfins have been spawning on just about anything green. I'll post photos in the thread so you can see what I have to trade for that tank (I talked to Tattooed last night, he's totally okay with toting that tank and stand back so I think that's a go, I just want you to know what you're getting for it.)

Just going to throw it out there: I'm also looking for some Pogostemon erectus

NEW AVAIL: rotala Macrandra - 2 stems available. High light, demanding plant (I got stems last night at a club meeting, but I don't have room for all of it. If you have a tank that can support it, let me know!)

Last edited by 0live; 08-22-2013 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: ETA new wants new avail
Old 08-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #96
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been following this off and on a little bit as I wasn't too sure if I would be able to make it. Apparently I will be able to.
Just for clarification, since there was some back and fourt early on about switching the date, is this still going on this Sunday, the 25th, from 5-6pm? Across from Aqua View?

I don't have much to trade since I just pillaged my tiny tanks to set up one in my girlfriend's classroom. I do have some snail and duckweed free java moss (I can almost certainly say hitchhiker/pest free, 99.876% sure). Same with a few small portions of Anubis Barteri Nana, though some of the older leaves may have some algae (diatoms mostly, the tank is small, has no inhabitants, and mostly neglected). Could probably pull a few dwarf sag. as well. Like I said, small tanks and recently pilfered, so not much to offer.
I do have some Endlers, I could bring a few males and some females or fry if someone wants (few weeks to a few days). They come from a few sources. The begining stock wasn't N-class, but I don't believe that they were crossed with guppies, other than a tiger female that may or may not still be in the tank (I had a few jump at one point). I really don't know the source of the beginning stock, so I can't say for sure. The tiger trait haven't showed up, or and discernible guppy traits. They are mostly black bar pattern, a few of the males had more orange a few generations back, but the black bar pattern is more prevelant. I believe the metallic colors are starting to loose their metallic sheen a little bit. They haven't been selectively breed too much since I really don't have the space for that. Having said that, they do look far better than most of what I have seen on AquaBid in the last few days.

I have one lone male Vietnamese White Mountain Minnow (Tanichrhys micagammae), not a white cloud. They didn't fare the move so well and he chased the female out of an open top tank. They are endangered in the wild. These came from a C.A.R.E.S. breeder. If you already have some, or are interested in breeding some, I'll give you this guy to diversify the gene pool a little bit. Otherwise I'll hold on to him.

I'd be interested in some Styrogene Repens, maybe some short growing bushy plants (preferably pest free, I work hard to keep my tanks from getting unintentional snails and stuff) maybe some neocardinia species of shrimp. Interested in blue velvets or some PFR's. I'm also looking for some good quality Bettas. Everything I've seen from Philly to Springfield is really poor quality. I'm sure Aqua View has some good stuff, I just haven't been able to swing by when they are open.

Sorry if this got long and wordy, I just want people to know where my stuff is coming from.

And if anybody is interested in carpooling for the auction in a few weeks, I'd be game. But only if you are willing to stick it out to the bitter end. It's a long day, but you get some ridiculous deals by the end of the auction. People end up buying show quality specimens (that went for $35-$60 earlier in the auction) as feeders because they are that cheap.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #97
Kelbrina
Algae Grower

I have a 30g that I am setting up to house fish indigenous to the Orinoco River. I'm not super knowledgeable about plants but if anyone has anything that would indigenous or otherwise appropriate I'd be interested.

20g Hex Community Tank | 5g CRS Tank | 10g Dwarf Puffer Tank | 20g High Community Tank x 2 | 5g Beta Tank
Kelbrina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #98
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Beer (love the name)
I'll add you to the list on the first page when I get home tonight. The meet is indeed still the 25th at 5:00 near Yoyo's.

A couple people have some RCS, but if you didn't want red or anything, I have some natural colored RCS I could bring...

We can talk more about it at the meet, but I may be up for carpooling to the auction.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #99
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
I've been following this off and on a little bit as I wasn't too sure if I would be able to make it. Apparently I will be able to.
Just for clarification, since there was some back and fourt early on about switching the date, is this still going on this Sunday, the 25th, from 5-6pm? Across from Aqua View?

I don't have much to trade since I just pillaged my tiny tanks to set up one in my girlfriend's classroom. I do have some snail and duckweed free java moss (I can almost certainly say hitchhiker/pest free, 99.876% sure). Same with a few small portions of Anubis Barteri Nana, though some of the older leaves may have some algae (diatoms mostly, the tank is small, has no inhabitants, and mostly neglected). Could probably pull a few dwarf sag. as well. Like I said, small tanks and recently pilfered, so not much to offer.
I do have some Endlers, I could bring a few males and some females or fry if someone wants (few weeks to a few days). They come from a few sources. The begining stock wasn't N-class, but I don't believe that they were crossed with guppies, other than a tiger female that may or may not still be in the tank (I had a few jump at one point). I really don't know the source of the beginning stock, so I can't say for sure. The tiger trait haven't showed up, or and discernible guppy traits. They are mostly black bar pattern, a few of the males had more orange a few generations back, but the black bar pattern is more prevelant. I believe the metallic colors are starting to loose their metallic sheen a little bit. They haven't been selectively breed too much since I really don't have the space for that. Having said that, they do look far better than most of what I have seen on AquaBid in the last few days.

I have one lone male Vietnamese White Mountain Minnow (Tanichrhys micagammae), not a white cloud. They didn't fare the move so well and he chased the female out of an open top tank. They are endangered in the wild. These came from a C.A.R.E.S. breeder. If you already have some, or are interested in breeding some, I'll give you this guy to diversify the gene pool a little bit. Otherwise I'll hold on to him.

I'd be interested in some Styrogene Repens, maybe some short growing bushy plants (preferably pest free, I work hard to keep my tanks from getting unintentional snails and stuff) maybe some neocardinia species of shrimp. Interested in blue velvets or some PFR's. I'm also looking for some good quality Bettas. Everything I've seen from Philly to Springfield is really poor quality. I'm sure Aqua View has some good stuff, I just haven't been able to swing by when they are open.

Sorry if this got long and wordy, I just want people to know where my stuff is coming from.

And if anybody is interested in carpooling for the auction in a few weeks, I'd be game. But only if you are willing to stick it out to the bitter end. It's a long day, but you get some ridiculous deals by the end of the auction. People end up buying show quality specimens (that went for $35-$60 earlier in the auction) as feeders because they are that cheap.

I'd be interest in the Anubias, the algae is of no concern to me as this will be going in an emersed set up.
Old 08-23-2013, 02:13 AM   #100
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

0live
I'm excited you are able to take the tank, I hope you get much enjoyment out of it! Your methods seem very professional and sensible, I will try to do the same with my packages.

Beer
I just realized as I made up your list that you were looking for particular varieties of neocardinias, you can just ignore my silly offer of naturals then, lol ;-P
Old 08-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #101
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm excited for this weekend!

Qwe - do you have a do not want list? I know what you have and what you want...

ETA 101 posts in this thread now!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #102
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm excited as well. Great to meet people with the same obsessions. And I love new stuff!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #103
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice! This one thread probably has more posts than the Mass section has seen in the past year! Go figure that it takes someone from RI to give us a kick in the butt and keep this thing going. Maybe we can get a Western Mass/RI swap list going and regular meet ups.
Thanks Qwe, I earned the nickname a while back with some skydiving friends. Extensive beer knowledge, home brewing, and sharing big crazy beers from all over the world earns respect pretty quickly in the skydiving community (we love our beer at the end of a day of jumping).
Looks like the Styrogene Repenea is pretty popular. I wish I didn't have an issue getting a tank set up a while back. Lost 30+ stems waiting to set up a tank. Had them planted too densely in an immersed setup temporarily. They molded and rotted, lost everything. Sad day.

0live, I'd be interested in the HC. How many dwarf sag would you be looking to trade for a decent portion? I may be willing to strip a few extra sag for some HC. Are you injecting CO2? Possibility of hitch hikers?
I'm thinking of bringing a tank to the auction, but I can't really justify 2hrs each way to drop it off Sat. Do you think there would be an issue only putting it out Sunday? I'm kind of more interested in representing the planted tank/nano tank categories to promote it and hopefully open it up to the overall competition more than anything.

Tatooed, I'll bring the anubis. At least three with 6-9 leaves, rhizomes no bigger than an inch or so. They will easily fit in the palm of your hand. I am interested in some ottos. Between 3-5.

I may still be interested in other varieties of neocardinia. I put pretty much all my shrimp into my girlfriend's classroom tank. A Betta will be going in, so I may have to replenish the cherries on a regular basis. Sometimes they get left alone, other times... not so much. Depends on the temperament of the Betta. They have places to hide and they were there first, so they may be okay. If people aren't okay with the offspring of their shrimp possibly becoming Betta food and don't want to trade/sell, I completely understand.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #104
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Putting it out Sunday means it wouldn't get judged. I'll respond more later.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #105
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The only plants I wouldn't be interested in would be the ones I listed that I have.

Plants I already have a few of but would welcome more include:
banana plant (Nymphoides aquatica)
amazon sword (Echinodorus amazonicus)
four leaf clover (Marsilea quadrifolia)
pygmy chain sword (Echinodorus tenellus)
some kind of dwarf red lily (Nymphaea sp.)
Echinodorus angustifolia 'Vesuvius'
lucky bamboo (Dracaena braunii) - I always wanted this but never had a good spot for it to grow emersed like it should, until I came across some at Stop N Shop in Northampton that are ~22" tall! Now I have one sitting in my 55 gal and sticking out the top, love it!

Tags
meet, northampton, swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.