South Florida Meeting??? - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 08-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #76
Ibisae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgetata View Post
Well did you try Exotic Aquarium and neighborhood fish farm on bird road?
In South Miami i think they are the most "freshwater friendly".
i have gone to neighborhood fish farm it was nice the select is kind of sparing and i don't really like how some days / certain people charge me more than others. i bought 4 angelfish from them and 3 died :/ . i have to try out exotic, i dread bird road though heh

Old 08-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #77
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgetata View Post
I did a few trips to there as well.
But last time I went to their new location after they just moved. Sadly to say I was not impress. All the plants looked sad and not much to select from. They didn't have Amano shrimp & Assassin snail. The 3 clown killifish I bought all refused to eat and die within a week.
They're shaping up better now. Recently, they've been holding these free seminars at night to show you how to setup/scape tanks. The most recent one was how to set up a high light tank and the previous one was how to set up a low light tank. It's pretty cool. I think they're trying to drum up public interest so that people realize impressive fish tanks are not only saltwater. I believe the next seminar will be about fertilizing. I went to the last one and it felt like a mini meet. As far as LFS goes, I think they're practically the only one in town dedicated to planted tanks and seem to have enough expertise to actually do what people here on plantedtank.net preach since they're actually fellow forum members.
ipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #78
Ibisae
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
They're shaping up better now. Recently, they've been holding these free seminars at night to show you how to setup/scape tanks. The most recent one was how to set up a high light tank and the previous one was how to set up a low light tank. It's pretty cool. I think they're trying to drum up public interest so that people realize impressive fish tanks are not only saltwater. I believe the next seminar will be about fertilizing. I went to the last one and it felt like a mini meet. As far as LFS goes, I think they're practically the only one in town dedicated to planted tanks and seem to have enough expertise to actually do what people here on plantedtank.net preach since they're actually fellow forum members.
I wanted to go last wednesday!! I couldn't find a ride and even though I have a low light tank I was curious to see the store/seminar
Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #79
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't think they've posted Wednesday's high light workshop yet but the previous low light one is on youtube.

Planted Aquarium Store workshops
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #80
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't had very good luck with the fish farm with fish as they have died quickly and I had a problem with them. Everything else is great!

I have only gone once to tpas in oakland park. It seemed a bit low maintenance and not that many fish/shrimp/plant selection but it is jicer than any other lfs. I live down the street from beverlys pet center and they have a large fish area and have the usual set up for plants but they are mediocre it's a hit or miss with their staff but what can I ask for.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #81
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

The AllPets by you seemed to have a nice plant section. Equipment .. not so much.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:20 AM   #82
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The AllPets by you seemed to have a nice plant section. Equipment .. not so much.
Sometimes they have a nice plant selection but like you said equipment not so much. Very scarce in fact, the stuff they do have is a bit overpriced.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:53 AM   #83
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

Shockingly, the fluval bubble counter was pretty cheap there If there's not many people, we could probably just invade that place. They have benches and what not. Could chill there for a while. There's decent restaurants around in the vicinity or coffee shops to sit and blabber about stuff. What's the plan to do at such a meet anyway? Just shoot the breeze? Or show off tank pics?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #84
Ibisae
Algae Grower

Quote:
Shockingly, the fluval bubble counter was pretty cheap there If there's not many people, we could probably just invade that place. They have benches and what not. Could chill there for a while. There's decent restaurants around in the vicinity or coffee shops to sit and blabber about stuff. What's the plan to do at such a meet anyway? Just shoot the breeze? Or show off tank pics?
I was thinking yeah shoot the breeze show off tank pics talk some crap get to know each other. We COULD get something really good out of it if we stick to a couple days out of the month to get together and share, show off, and help each other.

But we should become acquainted with each other, mostly what i feel like the meetings will start off as. i figure we just go with the flow and when we all meet shoot some [censored][censored][censored][censored] and figure out where to go from there!
Old 08-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #85
usgetata
Loving Bee Shrimps!

PTrader: (19/100%)

It's cool to just meet up and chat about our tank/plant/fish/shrimp or whatever over coffee😆. We can start the first one and see how it goes.
usgetata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #86
GimmeGills
Algae Grower

I'm in the ft. lauderdale area but would probably make the trip down if this happens
GimmeGills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #87
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heck yea. We can meet at either lfs (fish farm, beverlys, tpas or wherever else you all wanna meet. I would not mind doing any of that.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #88
Bettafins
Algae Grower

I would like to meet up as well. Newer to the hobby but obsessed with planted tanks!
Bettafins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #89
Bradleyv1714
Planted Tank Obsessed

Although I have had this planted tank for a while, I'm definitely still a newbie and do stupid things. Lol
Old 08-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #90
Ibisae
Algae Grower

Yeah, I have a 55 gallon tank I'm much more strict with, and then my 10 gallon has always been my "experimental" tank, though I like to think every new tank is different and has it's own specifics ..

I saw on craigslist there was a fish store in hialeah gardens that was closing up, and was selling plants for 1.50 a pot. I went down there and took most of their swords but they have abunch of bacopa and rotala and hygro still. it's not in the BEST shape but, if anyone wants to get over there they're closing at 8 pm. I also scored a 20g tank for 10 bucks, only thing is... it has a bulkhead on the bottom, I'm thinking of plugging it...