Filterless Riparium Style Mini Bowl---The Return
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default Filterless Riparium Style Mini Bowl---The Return

Welcome to my Filterless Riparium Style Mini Bowl.

I actually had this all setup nicely about 3-4 years ago, before all the cool kids started doing it. I had this AreoGarden thing that needed to be on for like 18 hours a day and it started to bug me (but worked really well). I then found a cable that allowed me to just use the light on a timer, found this little bowl thing and took a piece of driftwood and threw it in. I then took clippings, made something cool, and never took one picture. I even had some shrimp in it.

I got bored of it and just left it outside for a few years, watering it with my other plants. It used to have crazy emmersed growth but that died every winter. I started to use terrestrial moss instead of aquatic. I still have some DHG growing on it but that is about it.

My purpose of this "tank"....I saw OVT's vase a few weeks ago when he made me take a break from my wedding planning. After some long conversation, a giant dog and a few too many beers, he finally reveal his gem of low tech. I later found a thread on it, felt left out, and now am doing my own. I feel it is my obligation to at least try to compete with him, if not out do him, we will see.

My other reasoning is that I have a small recording studio, purposely dimly lit and need some life in here. I am thinking about doing something that is real sized but this will do for now. I need to paint, finish up my acoustics and other studio stuff before I commit to a bigger tank.

My hope is that the tank is pretty set and forget. It's a place for my clippings, some extra life to inspire music and that is about it. I also plan to ditch the lighting and try LED's for the first time.

Basics:
20 oz Bowl (more or less)
AreoGarden 24 watt PC light (will go at some point)
Random clippings from plants

Here is how the startup went:

Cleaned bowl...Harder than I would have thought as it has been outside for 3-4 years. Dig out light/stand from garage, not so hard since I spent many hours cleaning a few weeks ago:

Place driftwood...Simple enough, stick it in bowl:

Add Petco Sand. The stuff looks cool but likes to float. Hard to plant in. I may swap out later if it becomes problematic.

Added some clippings for tank. Didn't feel like planting, just added sand to bury them. It's a bit too deep but it's fine for now.:

Filled:

Last edited by talontsiawd; 09-25-2013 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Update
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.