Fallen Tree Branch 60cm - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #106
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thanks!

Last night I ran the new LEDs after the Ray 2 turned off. I ran them very warm red, like a sunset. The Panda Corys suddenly got super playful. It was fun to watch. They probably did this for half an hour.

AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #107
Chronados
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Thanks!

Last night I ran the new LEDs after the Ray 2 turned off. I ran them very warm red, like a sunset. The Panda Corys suddenly got super playful. It was fun to watch. They probably did this for half an hour.

Panda Corys Playing - YouTube
I just tried this on my 7.5g with pygmy cories since I have a Fugeray-R and they did the same thing! Definitely good to know since they've been hiding a lot more recently
Chronados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #108
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Thats awesome!!! This got me to buy a current led+ just so I can play around with the lighting lol Hope it looks as nice as yours.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:12 AM   #109
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

The strip light is very dim and pleasing on it's own at night. I really love it! The first pic is what it looks like right now with just the LED strip light on, and the second pic is with the Ray 2 on. Both taken with the exact same exposure. I exposed correctly for the strip light in manual mode, and then turned on the Ray 2.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #110
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking killer. The whole setup, room and all, exudes taste.
Jack Gilvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #111
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
Looking killer. The whole setup, room and all, exudes taste.
Yep it looks so cozy and relaxing...I would love to sit on that couch and read a book....
Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #112
iano7000
Algae Grower

Nice tank and setup! Love the stand.
iano7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #113
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Update:

The UG is still filling out in the front middle area where the death took over, but it's doing pretty well considering how much the Cory's love uprooting it and digging around in it.

The hydrocotyle japan filled in marvelously where all the s. repens died, and I think I actually prefer it and the way it flows from the middle of the tank out to the far right side. It really makes a beautiful line for the eye to follow.

I finished up my dosing pump and led controller using the arduino. I absolutely love the additional LED strips. On the weekend, when I'm sipping my coffee next to my tank in the morning, it's bugged me that the lights weren't on and I couldn't see it. These low light RGB strips allow me to run lights from 6am to 1am, because they are way to dim to affect plant growth or algae.

I have a sunrise color that I run from 6am until noon. At noon the Ray 2 comes on, and I switch the LED strips to 100% red only, which adds warmth to the Ray 2's otherwise somewhat flat color. At 10pm the Ray 2 shuts off, and I switch the strip lights into a warm sunset color until 11:30pm. At 11:30pm I drop them to moonlight until 1am.

All of the pictures below were taken this morning using the sunrise lighting. These are unedited pictures, taken straight from camera RAW as taken and converted to jpg. I know they look like I pushed color, but I didn't. I did shoot them so they are a little brighter than they appear in real life though. They are a little dimmer than they appear in these pictures.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #114
scotie aquatic
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

What a gr8 mix of plants! I think I would like it even more if some of the red in the back was broken up a bit. Still looks very good!
scotie aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #115
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Woah! I just spotted my Panda Cory's breeding:

Old 08-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #116
Greenz
Algae Grower

Beautiful job on this tank. Im about to start my first one and am now torn between UG and HC as my primary ground cover
Greenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #117
Landmines
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenz View Post
Beautiful job on this tank. Im about to start my first one and am now torn between UG and HC as my primary ground cover

UG all the way, so much easier to plant as it doenst just float up like HC does, and in my opinion it looks much better!
Landmines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #118
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

The reds are beautiful in this tank - it's like an insane kind of red, like if Tarrantino were to put his crazy bloody twist on cherry blossoms or something crazy like that.
PeterN1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #119
Blue Devereaux
Algae Grower

You are such a creative person as evinced by your beautiful tank, stand, and lighting. I'm about to set up a 29g, and I will look to your tank for inspiration. Are you worried that your assassin snail will kill your nerite? Thank you again for sharing your talents. Cheers!

Last edited by Blue Devereaux; 08-31-2013 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: found answer to other question I had about egg crates
Blue Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #120
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmines View Post
UG all the way, so much easier to plant as it doenst just float up like HC does, and in my opinion it looks much better!
I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
The reds are beautiful in this tank - it's like an insane kind of red, like if Tarrantino were to put his crazy bloody twist on cherry blossoms or something crazy like that.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Devereaux View Post
You are such a creative person as evinced by your beautiful tank, stand, and lighting. I'm about to set up a 29g, and I will look to your tank for inspiration. Are you worried that your assassin snail will kill your nerite? Thank you again for sharing your talents. Cheers!
Thank you! I've kept assassins with nerites for about a year and a half, and I've never had an incident. I think the nerites are too big.