LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0 - Page 240
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #3586
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (50/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Haven't posted here in awhile....but I saw something interesting in Chinatown two days ago. I walked past a seafood restaurant on Division Street and they had a huge tankful of Mantis Shrimps (didn't know these things were edible!). Further, the one time that I saw a mantis shrimp at Pacific it was pretty darn pricey and they only had ONE. So if anyone is into salt water tanks...you can get yourself a mantis shrimp (or four or five) for much cheaper here.
lol, I think they put those on the plate not into their SW tank.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #3587
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
PTrader: (171/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,573
Default

Just came back from Petco @ 14st. Horned Nerites for $2.19 ea
Rubber lipped Plecos for $4.99
Rili shrimp $10 one left
3-4 Whiptail cats (couldnt find the price label)

new shipment due tomorrow.

They had a micro rasbora on tomorrow's delivery list. Yes, they actually shared it with me. no pygmae cories though.
__________________
The Aquatic Plant Society Curator of the NY/NJ/CT LFS & CO2 Directory
Namaste ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
acitydweller is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #3588
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
VivaDaWolf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
lol, I think they put those on the plate not into their SW tank.
still works right? They are not colorful though (and called piss shrimp in chinese) .. http://vivadawolf.deviantart.com/art...adawolf&qo=169 my fam gets em sometimes.
ive always wanted to "rescue" a restaurant fish...not entirely feasible though. are they all salt water, those big grey fish in there or are they freshwater too?
VivaDaWolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #3589
Cokers
Planted Member
 
Cokers's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York City
Posts: 287
Default

Went to Pacific yesterday and they have Congo Tetras for sale 3/$20 (Bit expensive if you ask me)

And also this...
__________________
No self respecting aquarist worth his salt is without a bucket -Anon

5.5 Gallon College Tank
Cokers is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #3590
darkoon
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
darkoon's Avatar
 
PTrader: (58/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Haven't posted here in awhile....but I saw something interesting in Chinatown two days ago. I walked past a seafood restaurant on Division Street and they had a huge tankful of Mantis Shrimps (didn't know these things were edible!). Further, the one time that I saw a mantis shrimp at Pacific it was pretty darn pricey and they only had ONE. So if anyone is into salt water tanks...you can get yourself a mantis shrimp (or four or five) for much cheaper here.
Mantis Shrimps are delicious. I did not know people kept them in salt water tanks. lol
darkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #3591
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PeterN1986's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoon View Post
Mantis Shrimps are delicious. I did not know people kept them in salt water tanks. lol
Mantis shrimp? Seriously? People eat mantis shrimp?? Is this the same mantis shrimp:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

The thing is a killing machine! How does it not shred you inside out?? Leave it to the Chinese to eat the weirdest stuff lol
PeterN1986 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #3592
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North NJ
Posts: 655
Default

I can tell you the mantis shrimps they sell are not the colorful cousins found in the reef environments. usually just drab looking giant flat looking shrimps.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #3593
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North NJ
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Just came back from Petco @ 14st. Horned Nerites for $2.19 ea
Rubber lipped Plecos for $4.99
Rili shrimp $10 one left
3-4 Whiptail cats (couldnt find the price label)

new shipment due tomorrow.

They had a micro rasbora on tomorrow's delivery list. Yes, they actually shared it with me. no pygmae cories though.
Not sure if you know but you can have them special order the fish on whatever they have on their list and shouldn't need to pre pay for it.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #3594
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
PTrader: (171/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,573
Default

.That is amazing and I was not aware.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
Not sure if you know but you can have them special order the fish on whatever they have on their list and shouldn't need to pre pay for it.
__________________
The Aquatic Plant Society Curator of the NY/NJ/CT LFS & CO2 Directory
Namaste ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
acitydweller is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #3595
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: North NJ
Posts: 655
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
.That is amazing and I was not aware.
Let me correct myself here, it could be a YmmV, I did not ask at the 14st one just another one by me.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #3596
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
Mantis shrimp? Seriously? People eat mantis shrimp?? Is this the same mantis shrimp:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

The thing is a killing machine! How does it not shred you inside out?? Leave it to the Chinese to eat the weirdest stuff lol
Exactly!...I was shocked to find out that people eat these things too. Better be sure it is deader than dead....wouldn't want to get my teeth knocked out by one of it's super punches!
__________________
Pearling.....it's way overrated.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #3597
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_six View Post
I can tell you the mantis shrimps they sell are not the colorful cousins found in the reef environments. usually just drab looking giant flat looking shrimps.
The ones I saw at the restaurant tank (and i should've snapped a photo of them) are NOT flat nor drab looking. Definitely not as colorful as the ones you see in the saltwater tank magazines but they were just as lively and it was good their tank was made of plexi-glass and not regular restaurant grade glass tank.....they could easily bust a hole with one their punches.
__________________
Pearling.....it's way overrated.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #3598
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (50/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 713
Default

I wonder why people eat lobsters today when lobsters were food for prisoners, isnt this weidest enough? lol
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #3599
Joraa—
"TirŤd~about to RetirŽ "
 
Joraa—'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (328/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At Home!!!
Posts: 4,750
Default

Feeding Molly........Never heard b4.
__________________
Cheers!!!
™J
"The future's uncertain, and the end is always near."
Joraa— is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #3600
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
VivaDaWolf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 833
Default

Feeder fish like guppies
VivaDaWolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012