My Betta Jar - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #31
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
The 6500K is the best to use for the plants. Also, the browning could be a bit of a nutrient deficiency, just not sure which one. Lol.
The ceiling fan bulbs were different i remember, so i will look and see if theyre 55-6500k... I know all about bulb temps from a different hobby i have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco4Tanks View Post
I 2nd that... You could even have a bent glass straw for the return... Clear glass wouldn't detract from the "clean" look you are after, whatsoever. Not cheap though... But in my old age, I choose quality over economy every time... A pet peeve I have.. I hate buying stuff I already own, because I need to upgrade or because it broke etc etc because I was too cheap to do it right the first time. I want too "add" to my enjoyment of life... Not spend to replace stuff.
Sound sexy? Yes. But i will upgrade my 55g to a eheim before playing with nano stuff . For now my focus is plants, will clean it up down the road when i can buy the good stuff like you said
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
The ceiling fan bulbs were different i remember, so i will look and see if theyre 55-6500k... I know all about bulb temps from a different hobby i have
Got ya.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 PM   #33
Loco4Tanks
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankYouVeryMuch View Post
The ceiling fan bulbs were different i remember, so i will look and see if theyre 55-6500k... I know all about bulb temporary tbefrom a different hobby i have

Sound sexy? Yes. But i will upgrade my 55g to a eheim before playing with nano stuff . For now my focus is plants, will clean it up down the road when i can buy the good stuff like you said
I'm not knocking you at all.. I do like the the look of that jar... Just hit up petco for some cheap low light plants to get you to the next step... I'm about to start work on a 15 gallon column tank, I'm turning into a derimmed riparium betta tank.. I'm in the same boat, not wanting to messy up the clean rimless look. I have a fluval 106 cannister I'll be using... But I need to replace the intake and return hoses with something clear... I will be needing a foam pre-filter though... Hopefully I can hide all that with plants...
You know.. A couple DIY magnetic hanging riparium planters might do that for you as well... Give you the benefit of plants, maximize water volume for the betta and still have the clean look you want
Loco4Tanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #34
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Wow. Because the roots are what sucks up ammonia and such right? I didnt think of that
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #35
kimboden
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I like your jar! It looks like a fun project. If you're doing water changes then there's your mechanical filtration. I use sponge filters and have several tanks that it is the only filter on the tank. Plus what the plants do for me. And I do twice weekly water changes vacumming mulm. Both of these tanks have a clean up crew of snails and shrimp. I see nothing wrong with how you are doing things! Keep it up!

Kim
kimboden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #36
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3644897

Mine
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3721737

v2
Old 08-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #37
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Did that idiot plant anubias in the ground covering the rhyzome? Bwa hahHa

Will have a nice plant package soon, will take Bob out and totally replant #jungle
Old 08-26-2013, 04:10 AM   #38
cableguy69846
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

That is a good lookin fish man. And did you bury the rhizome? Lol.
The Fraternity of Dirt #39
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Cable's Madness
Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
cableguy69846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #39
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Just for a second
Old 08-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #40
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

This looks good. Yours and OVT's naturally filterless tanks give me hope. I intended to do something just like this with a small tank lying around but I didn't want to mess with a filter/air tubes, etc.
ipkiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #41
peachii
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have betta's in the house ranging from 1 gallon tanks up to 46 gallons. 2 of the boys could not and would not adjust to a bigger tank - they hated it so they got put into 1.5 gallon heavily planted tanks. So long as you take care of water quality and keep it clean, your betta will be perfectly happy in this jar, filter or not. Winter you may want to put a heater in because that's not a myth, betta's prefer heated water but I have no doubt you will take care of what your fish needs when he needs it. Don't let anyone make you feel bad!

Should you need more plants to make your tank a successful running filterless walsted type just shoot me a PM, i've given away all my plants already from the latest trim but in one or two weeks I'll have more. I mostly have beginner, low light, fast growing plants like Wisteria, various types of hygro and easy stem plants. Could throw some in a box to get you started. Nothing beats putting together packages to get people started on first beginner projects.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #42
TonyK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I first got into Bettas (not very long ago) 2.5 gallons was the minimum, then 5 gallons now 10 gallons. This minimum changes by the year. I've had veil tails that did horrible in a 10 gallon filtered switched to a 2.5 with plants and it did better.

Once your tank vase fills in with plants and maintained correctly the Betta will be just fine. The vase looks great keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco4Tanks View Post
Five gallons is bare bones minimum.. Ten is is actually recommended as a minimum... Just because wild bettas are found clinging to life in small puddles during the dry season, which is where the idea they only need a small bowl with no filtration came from, doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated better... I agree, more plants ASAP.. Hyacinth would be nice as a natural filter... I'm in the process of turning an aqueon 15 gallon column into a riparium.. It'll hold 10 gallons of water, be somewhat heavily planted and have a small fluval 106 and house a single high quality betta and maybe a couple corys or something else to help keep it clean. For lighting, I'm using a 35 watt 6500k compact fluorescent in a black clip lamp... I'm going to derim it first... I didn't have to buy anything though,, already had everything sitting in a closet... I'll probably do liquid carbon supplementation and root tabs...
I admit, what you've done looks cool... But my opinion is it is inefficient... Good luck
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #43
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Thanks for the kind words everyone... I took out the heater and added an under gravel heater... I didnt like i couldnt plant plants on top of it (without redoing everything) so i have taken that out too. Made a mess and needs a water change then will look nice again.

Thanks peachii i will keep that in mind if someone else falls through
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #44
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

More plants for Bob!!! . I also have a plant pack coming

Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #45
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Oh man, is there such a thing as over planted? Lol.

Ill take a pic here in a minute... Whered bob go lol