Johnson18's 20L Riparium w/Planted HOB ~ New Substrate and layout - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #166
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

Nice job blooming that 'Katie'. You must be feeding it really well. I only ever get random blooms on mine. Yours looks like it is getting plenty of light, too. I usually grow that plant along with taller stuff and it gets more shade that way.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #167
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

read first to last. fantastic tank! If I had more room / time, I'd love to set up a riparium and use the water portion for a shrimp tank as you did.
jargonchipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #168
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargonchipmunk View Post
read first to last. fantastic tank! If I had more room / time, I'd love to set up a riparium and use the water portion for a shrimp tank as you did.
Thanks for checking out my journey with this tank! It's been a lot of fun watching & helping it grow along the way!
johnson18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #169
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So I'm not sure what's up with this tank. It just seems like my shrimp have slowly disappeared. Maybe they just are able to hide better since the plants have been growing well. It doesn't seem like it though. I never see dead shrimp. There has definitely been a decline in the shrimp population. I rarely see shrimp anymore.
I use remineralized RO water for water changes(try for 5gal/week, though often it's ever other week.) I do top-offs of pure RO. Every time I test my water everything looks great. I use O+ root tabs, sparingly. Rarely dose excel & flourish, don't dose any other fertz. No co2. The tank has two filters so that shouldn't be an issue.
The plants are all doing pretty well. I've been quite pleased with their growth!

Any thoughts, ideas, questions, concerns?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #170
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Is there a feeding frenzy when you feed them?
Old 08-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #171
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Is there a feeding frenzy when you feed them?
I've never gotten much of a feeding frenzy response, but these days it's mostly just snails. :/
Old 08-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #172
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Well hopefully it's just bc it's nicely planted and they are hiding
Old 08-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #173
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Johnson, I just purchased and de-rimmed a 20L today and found this thread. Your tank is one of my big inspirations for my soon-to-be 20L riparium!

Btw, I want to plant Bacopa Carolina but will the lack of humidity not work?
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #174
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooberfish View Post
Johnson, I just purchased and de-rimmed a 20L today and found this thread. Your tank is one of my big inspirations for my soon-to-be 20L riparium!

Btw, I want to plant Bacopa Carolina but will the lack of humidity not work?
It's nice to know I can provide inspiration for others! Thanks! You should definitely start a journal for your tank if you haven't already! They are a great way to be able to track your progress! I don't see why you couldn't use B. caroliniana in a riparium set up. You would probably want to make its transition from a high humidity emersed set up to a lower humidity gradual.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 AM   #175
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So the Katie has started producing seed pods! It had two a few days back that popped open so I pulled them off and stuck them in a container. There are now two more developing that I noticed today!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #176
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

So as much as I hate to say it.... I don't think I've got any shrimp left. I've looked high and low with no success. . Idk what happened, they were doing well and then just seemed to fall out. I never found any dead shrimp either. Not sure where this tank will go from here. I'm going to concentrate on getting all of the plants flourishing. I'm going to go back to regular fertz dosing. Also going to consider adding some co2.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #177
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

I've been rather bummed out by this tank lately. As some might have noticed, or might not, I've been mostly absent from the forum the last few weeks. Part of this has been due to feeling totally dejected by my failed attempt(again) to keep shrimp and the total melt down of many of the crypts in this tank. A large part has been because I've been really focused on my dogs during my few weeks of down time between my summer and fall semesters. I'm the sole organizer of a local bully walk, the Columbia Bully Walk. Check it out on Facebook if you want to know more! http://www.facebook.com/ColumbiaBullyWalk Yup, that was definitely a shameless plug! Hahaha... I actually spend quite a bit of time trying to come up(& implement) with better ways to promote and grow this group. With all of the college students returning to Carolina over the last few weeks, it has given me an opportunity to gain the a lot of new people. Our most recent walk(last Sunday) had 22 dogs and close to 30 people! Woo... Haha...just getting started, this was month 7, so that's way better then the 4-8 we averaged for a few months this spring!
Well, here is a shot of my happy dogs after playing off leash, running, swimming and getting muddy for about two hours earlier this week!

Alright back to planted tank related stuff! The crypt melt I mentioned was mostly due to me yanking out some wendtii & beckettii to share with a fellow member to help get his emersed crypt collection off the ground. I expected a little melt, what I got was almost a total, and complete meltdown of all wendtii and beckettii that was in the tank, mostly behind where I planted the parva foreground. Oh well, good thing is that it will grow back. I've got plenty of time to wait, as the tank only has snails in it at this point. Haha. I took the opportunity during the worst of the melting to pull the Fluval underwater filter out of the tank and do an extra throughough cleaning of it. The riparium plants have been doing well for the most part. The ones in the planted hob more so then others. The 'Katie' has started dropping its lower leaves, though it is still producing new leaves and a few flowers. Several of the seeds that I wasn't able to capture have started sprouting, a few in the planter and a couple are other places in the tank.

So I am open to suggestions on what to stock this tank with.... As much as I love PFR shrimp, I can't say I've ever been successful with shrimp in this tank. Not to mention having to go pick up ten gallons of RO water every week was kind of a pain. If I try shrimp again, it will be some time, as I've got the money nor the temperatures required to get shrimp at the moment.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #178
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Dang man. I feel bad. Keep your head up. You and your tank are an inspiration and have given me personally lots and lots of info and ideas. Did your filters have ore filters on them?
Old 08-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #179
johnson18
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Dang man. I feel bad. Keep your head up. You and your tank are an inspiration and have given me personally lots and lots of info and ideas. Did your filters have ore filters on them?
Thanks man! No worries, this tank will be back to growing in no time. I'm just not sure about shrimp again. I keep trying to figure out how to make this tank, or any of mine for that matter, look more like OVT's tanks... Hahaha. Those are a huge source of inspiration for me! Yup, filter have pre filters so they're shrimp safe.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #180
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Beautiful tank and doggies! I have two pitties myself.
Hope your crypts come back quickly for you. Sorry to hear about your shrimp.
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
buildmyled, hydrophyte, riparium, ripariums, shrimp tanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.