13 Stones PT2 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #31
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

GL bro and good lookin hardscape btw. *thumbs up*
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 02:39 AM   #32
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
GL bro and good lookin hardscape btw. *thumbs up*
Thank you sir. It took me a long time to make something that looks decent so I am pretty proud, even though it could be much better. This is my first rock inspired scape lol- http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=103106

Pretty hideous IMO. I did grow HC OK with no CO2 though. At some point I need to buy some shrimp from you as well, want another low tech nano once I redo my kitchen. Who knows when that will happen, hopefully sooner than later though.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 07-16-2013 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: Wrong link
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #33
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Thank you sir. It took me a long time to make something that looks decent so I am pretty proud, even though it could be much better. This is my first rock inspired scape lol- http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=103106

Pretty hideous IMO. I did grow HC OK with no CO2 though. At some point I need to buy some shrimp from you as well, want another low tech nano once I redo my kitchen. Who knows when that will happen, hopefully sooner than later though.
Looks good .

I guess you haven't seen this: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...449&highlight=
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #34
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Looks good .

I guess you haven't seen this: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...449&highlight=
That's wack, you were the first member on the board to get some rare stuff and are semi-local to me. I totally understand, have had to refocus a lot lately. Totally respectable, and more so, I totally understand.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #35
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I am not exactly an expert on high tech tanks, but that glosso seems to definitely be saying it needs more light. If your bulbs are 1.5 years old and you typically leave them on 10 or 11 hours per day, I am going to guess you need new bulbs. I could be wrong, but it is the only explanation that makes sense and it is what I would try next if I were in your shoes. Lowering the fixture would have a similar effect temporarily I suppose....
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #36
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfromstlouis View Post
I am not exactly an expert on high tech tanks, but that glosso seems to definitely be saying it needs more light. If your bulbs are 1.5 years old and you typically leave them on 10 or 11 hours per day, I am going to guess you need new bulbs. I could be wrong, but it is the only explanation that makes sense and it is what I would try next if I were in your shoes. Lowering the fixture would have a similar effect temporarily I suppose....
I decided to buy 2 new bulbs and replaced a 3rd bulb since I took a rosette bulb out in the first few days so I had a replacement on hand. With 2 bulbs, it is a fair amount brighter to the eye. With all 4 bulbs, pretty significant to the eye. Furthermore, the Aquaticlife bulbs looked a fair amount dimmer than the replacements of the similar spectrum. The one 10k bulb I replaced (Hamilton Technology) seemed to look the same as the new one of the same brand. My LFS just happens to carry that brand and I have had bad luck with Coralife and Aqueon so I choose this brand only because it's what's available.

I know that is not the best way to gauge but it does make me think that the Aquaticlife bulbs may have not been up to par (pun intended I guess) and just don't last as long. With a quick search, it seems that others may feel the same way, the fixture is decent but the bulbs are not. Who knows.

Anyway, I just did for housekeeping reasons and it seems to be an improvement. Time will tell.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #37
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Finally back from LA. I have now added 5 Rummynose. These can actually be somewhat challenging to buy locally so even after a long time in the hobby, this is the first time I have had them. Plan to only stock these guys for fish, not sure if I will add shrimp or not (probably will). They haven't colored up yet but I actually find them to be pretty colorful which is a good surprise for me. I was going to do Cardinals but decided on these last minute.

I have been dosing Excel everyday I have been home and a lot of algae is clearing up. I am still getting algae on the glass and the rocks. One is a lime green, one is a much darker green but not BGA. Not really sure what the second one is. Both are slimy but easy to get rid of. I do have a tiny bit of lingering BGA which doesn't seem to be getting better or worse.

The Glosso is still growing upwards but isn't as leggy as it used to be. I am only running 2 bulbs with a 2 hour noon burst. The new bulbs seem to be making a difference because I had my light lower in height and had a longer noon burst. I will add light by lowering it or extending my noon burst once I have propagated the Glosso a bit more.

Need to dial in my CO2 again as I have yet to have fish in the tank. Hopefully algae will not gain ground in the process.

Anyway, nothing to exciting but chugging along. Still don't have a real camera so phone pic only (again).

Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #38
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quick update....I am starting to find the sweet spot between light and algae. It is hard to see in the pictures but the glosso that has been trimmed is starting to carpet. Everything I cut and replanted is growing upwards. The fact it is finally starting to carpet is great because I can now understand a bit better with how much light I am really going to need.

That said, I will likely extend the noon burst and/or drop down the fixture. I still think it could use a bit more light. Reason being is growth is still slower than it should be and I have some R. Butterfly in back that is not coloring up. I feel I am only about 1/4 planted right now compared to a dense, lush carpet I think more light doable. I will likely wait until after I trim, propagate, and wait for everything to recover.

Quick shots

Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 AM   #39
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

This update is just for me to keep tabs on things. Every time I trim my glosso, I realize how great the HC is carpeting and how I just want to do HC. Being noncommittal, I am testing a very small area to see if I am correct. I took all glosso out in that area and planted HC in it's place. I probably used 1/4 of a pot so we will see in a week or two where that gets me.

Picture is cloudy as I stirred up the substrate.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #40
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
5 days later, think I made the right choice on the HC....compare the Glosso on the left as well, not a lot of change
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #41
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

I don't know if this is an update or a progress report. The HC in the middle is doing very well, spreading way faster than the glosso ever did. I know there is not such a thing but I feel like I had faulty glosso. Well, it does fine in my nano, not sure what the deal is in this tank.

The HC in the middle is doing very well. The first picture is a progression of the last 9 days.

On the sides, I didn't start with as much but it is also not taking off as quickly. I think it's a combination of me having a 24 in fixture and floating plants, especially on the left side, that was totally shaded. I can raise the light for better spread and extend my noon burst for more intensity during the day, will wait and see.

Pics are not so good, I keep planning on buying a digital camera but I am having a wedding in less than a month, budget is ultra tight right now.

New HC growth:

Other Shots

Old 08-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #42
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

Nice stones. Was quite intrigued that you initially had high light algae issues without the consequent plant growth effects. Even odder that HC is progressing well but the glosso grows upwards. Maybe it was a odd batch of glosso or something. I wonder whether its a stability issue as well, or method of planting.

HC seems to be spreading well though, so things are looking up~
Old 08-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #43
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
Nice stones. Was quite intrigued that you initially had high light algae issues without the consequent plant growth effects. Even odder that HC is progressing well but the glosso grows upwards. Maybe it was a odd batch of glosso or something. I wonder whether its a stability issue as well, or method of planting.

HC seems to be spreading well though, so things are looking up~
It's odd because the glosso does fine in my other tank. I think my initial algae was caused by lack of plant mass but I am still not sure about growth issues. The only thing I can think of was my UV was on for awhile. However, I have never had growth issues doing that, I usually keep my UV sterilizer on for a few weeks on a new tank. Have no idea but the HC seems to be doing a lot better.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:47 AM   #44
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Blurry update. Finally did a trim on the tank. The DHG is really dense now so I trimmed that down and pulled out quite a bit. Trimmed a bit of HC at the same time.

It doesn't look like much but the middle is filling out well. The left side was planted about 2 weeks later than the middle so it's only starting to catch up. The right side was planted about 3 weeks later so it's pretty far behind. I am guessing it will look pretty decent in about 2-3 weeks and carpet fully in about 1.5 months.

I am getting BGA and algae on the glass. Not sure why I tend to get it on this tank, nuking the BGA and then I will try to figure this out. I am trying to buy a real camera but money is a bit tight, getting married in 2.5 weeks so money is going elsewhere.

Sorry for the bad pic
Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 AM   #45
jwh0818
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)

What is HC? I used to know but its been awhile since I last heard it

Sent from my dogs crate
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.