Question for those who use Hagen Nutrafin CO2 system...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Question for those who use Hagen Nutrafin CO2 system...

I'm using Hagen's CO2 system in my 20 gallon tank, and I was wondering what kind of output you were getting and how often you changed your DIY batches. My DIY recipe is sugar up to the first line, 1/4 teaspoon of wine yeast, and water to the second line. This batch will initially produce CO2 at a rate of about 20 bpm (one bubble every 3 seconds). However, this output is cut in half a week later.

Overall, I think I'm OK with the initial output, but I'm wondering if it's necessary to whip up a new batch every week to keep the CO2 more or less stable. For those of you who own the Hagen system, you know that the container is small in relation to the 2L bottles that most DIY CO2 people use. I'd like to know how often you change out your DIY CO2 solution and what kind of output you try to maintain. Thanks.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

When I have DIY a shot I bought one of these systems and I switched to a two 2L bottle setup very shortly afterwards for that exact reason. You will get much more stability (as much as you can with DIY) using a configuration with larger batches.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
When I have DIY a shot I bought one of these systems and I switched to a two 2L bottle setup very shortly afterwards for that exact reason. You will get much more stability (as much as you can with DIY) using a configuration with larger batches.
Guess I might actually have to mix up a new batch on a weekly basis if I decide to stick with the Hagen bottle. If that gets too annoying, I'll just switch over to a larger bottle.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Ziggy
Algae Grower

So if I can get my hands on one of the rare 4l pop bottles, I can more or less double the recipe and get a longer yield?
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

You could, but I think it's generally better to do multiple bottles and rotate batches. That way you're at least getting more consistent CO2 rather than a huge burst after making a new one and having that trail off until you create another.