The best bio filter media....um...ever - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Southern Oak Aquatics

Old 05-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #31
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't know but looks as some pumice stone to me ... it's sintetic or real light stone?
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #32
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphoqueen View Post
I don't know but looks as some pumice stone to me ... it's sintetic or real light stone?
My understanding is that it is a fired ceramic media.

Probably similar to 'sintered glass' or 'ceramic' bio-media.

The pore structure of this media just appears to be superior compared to other types of ceramic media.

Maybe comparing open pore foam like Poret foam to regular sponge foams is a similar comparison.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #33
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh yes then that explains the price ... thanks for the answer :-)
Old 05-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
darkestsky
Sponsor

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphoqueen View Post
oh yes then that explains the price ... thanks for the answer :-)

It's a ceramic based material that was originally designed for industrial water purification projects and has been adapted to pond and aquarium use.

Poret doesn't even come close in terms of surface area and bio filtration. But, Poret is a better mechanical filter.

The only thing that really even comes close to it in bio filtration would be certain types of live rock for reef tanks.
To view our complete line of shrimp, fish, and planted aquarium goodies, visit our sponsor's forum at:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/so...-oak-aquatics/
Or our website at:
http://www.southernoakaquatics.com
darkestsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #35
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (372/100%)

As a note: 2 quarts is approximately 36 spheres
Recommended minimum usage is approximately 1 quart per 100 gallons of tank water.

This means 18 spheres for 100 gallons, 9 for 50 gallons, so on an so forth. Does this means this is ALL I'll need for bio filtration? So if I have a 18 gallon tank, adding 3-4 spheres is all I'll need for biochemical? Wow!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #36
darkestsky
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNemoShrimp View Post
As a note: 2 quarts is approximately 36 spheres
Recommended minimum usage is approximately 1 quart per 100 gallons of tank water.

This means 18 spheres for 100 gallons, 9 for 50 gallons, so on an so forth. Does this means this is ALL I'll need for bio filtration? So if I have a 18 gallon tank, adding 3-4 spheres is all I'll need for biochemical? Wow!
Bingo. Just make sure you've got them in an area where they receive decent flow, like in your filter. Unless you're using them to reduce nitrates. Then you don't want them getting much flow at all

Another neat thing you can do with them, especially if you're like me and are always starting new tanks, is use them to seed a new tank VERY quickly. I keep a couple of them in a little mesh bag in one of my well established tanks, and just drop one into a new tank when I set it up. It reduces the cycling time dramatically.

For example: I had an old, neglected 30 gallon saltwater tank that I was getting ready to take apart and upgrade to a 72 gallon. I used dry rock to construct the layout, and added 5 MarinePure Spheres that had been sitting in the 30 gallon for a couple of weeks. My cycle time on that tank was just about one week. I'm still going through the algae outbreak fun, but my ammonia/nitrate/nitrite cycle only took a few days.

Seriously, there really isn't a comparison to MarinePure out there. Sure, it's not a flashy, fancy upgrade to your tank like a new light or new filter pipes, but dollar for dollar I don't believe there's anything better you can do for water quality.
To view our complete line of shrimp, fish, and planted aquarium goodies, visit our sponsor's forum at:
Or our website at:
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #37
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Clay -

Can I add 8 spheres to the Ebiken spring scissors pre-order that I have out with you? If so, let me know how much to paypal along with the email address.

I'll be layering these in my Eheim 2215.

Thanks

Last edited by hedge_fund; 07-22-2013 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: asdf
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
jargonchipmunk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

anyone get these on the first shipment that can testify to the media's performance over a month or two? Thinking about getting some of the balls for the bottom tray of the sunsun 302 I got for my upcoming 20L project.
jargonchipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #39
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

I've been running them for several months now in an HOB and have no complaints. I don't really know how you can accurately 'rate' a media's filtering ability. FWIW I haven't had any problems with filtering the whole time I've had them.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #40
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got my 2Qt. box nice and quick. Thanks! My first application for them will be a few in the top chamber of my Finnex PX-360 canister. Since they're relatively large in relation to the basket, is it recommended to cut a couple in half to fill the inevitable gaps? Looks like this is what was done for the Fluval 205 in Cermedia's test linked in the first post.
Jack Gilvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #41
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
Got my 2Qt. box nice and quick. Thanks! My first application for them will be a few in the top chamber of my Finnex PX-360 canister. Since they're relatively large in relation to the basket, is it recommended to cut a couple in half to fill the inevitable gaps? Looks like this is what was done for the Fluval 205 in Cermedia's test linked in the first post.
Cool. I just got mine as well. I plan on running two eheims on my 75 gallon. One eheim will only be filled with this biomedia along with some foam I ordered from him. The second eheim will run the way it came from the factory. For now my filtering needs should be covered.
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #42
darkestsky
Sponsor

Quote:
Yup. Just cut them in half if you want better coverage. They're very easy to cut, but they will make your blade dull QUICK. Use a hacksaw or something similar with small teeth and be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Cool. I just got mine as well. I plan on running two eheims on my 75 gallon. One eheim will only be filled with this biomedia along with some foam I ordered from him. The second eheim will run the way it came from the factory. For now my filtering needs should be covered.
That should definitely do you

If you're looking for some good carbon, try Vertex Rox 0.8 I just started using it and it's pretty serious stuff as far as carbon goes.
Or our website at:
Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #43
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkestsky View Post
Yup. Just cut them in half if you want better coverage. They're very easy to cut, but they will make your blade dull QUICK. Use a hacksaw or something similar with small teeth and be careful
So biting is out of the question? Got it.

What kind of bag are you running the Vertex in?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 AM   #44
darkestsky
Sponsor

Quote:
So biting is out of the question? Got it.

What kind of bag are you running the Vertex in?
I'm just using a generic mesh filter sock. I'd like to get a reactor for it (actually 2 reactors. 1 for fresh and 1 for salt to rotate around my tanks. You're only supposed to use it for 1 week per month.) but I don't have the budget for it right now.

I've been so impressed with it I'm thinking of stocking it for the store.
Or our website at:
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #45
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

Rather than messing about with small bits of them I wound up fitting 6 in the chamber then just filled in the gaps with some spare ehfisubstrate pro.

Less bypass overall and still exorbitant surface area for a 7 gallon tank I'd think. I just fit a 100ml Purigen on top of that as a final stage and the first (lower) chamber has some ceramic rings topped with the stock sponge for mechanical.