Ouestion time, How to protect your tank and few others? :)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
FrozenAssassin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to FrozenAssassin Send a message via AIM to FrozenAssassin Send a message via MSN to FrozenAssassin Send a message via Yahoo to FrozenAssassin

Quote:
Tank Stats:
+41 Gallon / 157 Litres Tank
+Ammonia: 0
+Nitrite: 0
+Nitrate: 5.0
+Ph: 7.4+
+Hagen AquaClear 200 Filter (750 L/ph)
+Fluval 404 canister (1300L/ph)
+ViaAqua 200watt Heater
+3ft Fluorescent Reflector - Hagen Power-Glo 30watt flourescent bulb
+3ft ViaAqua Florescent twin reflector - twin default tubes 2x30watts
Now I have set up my first co2 in a 2 litre coke bottle. Mixture of 2 cups sugar, 1 and a half teaspoon of yeast.

Right now the tube is going to a glass cup but tomorrow morning my hagen bubble wall should arrive.

Questions
1)Im using a checkvalve also but that only protects water coming down to bottle.. How about if the bottom tips over without you knowing for a while.. I heard a case where a guy lost livestock and had to get rid of plants from another forum.

2)Right now im getting like 2bubbles a second. That be like 120+ bubbles a min. What is better to use..

a) T-Piece, one tube go's out of the tank and other one go's in the tank so it divdes the co2 so only 1 bubble per a second.

or b) airline Tap control but wouldnt it cause the bottom to blow up?

3)Getting my kh gh and whole ph range test kit tomorrow, what kind of kh/gh spec should I aim for?

Old 01-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Many people with tie a strap to secure the bottle, just to be safe.
2 bubbles per second probably won't last for very long. You might be using too much yeast to start off so it is chowing through the sugar and will spend its supply rather quickly. How much yeast did you use?

If you absolutely had to vent some of the pressure, I would use a Tee and a needle valve to bleed off excess CO2, but that nasty Yeast smell would vent to your room. You're better off controlling bubble rate with initial yeast dosage. I use 1/4 tsp w 2 cups sugar in a 1 gallon container.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:04 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Whoa! What do you mean by "Hagen Bubble Wall"?? Do you mean their CO2 diffuser? Or some gigantic bubble wall that's meant to be hooked up to an air pump?

You definitely don't wanna restrict the flow of CO2, or you might have a bottle burst, or the airline might blow loose. 2 bubbles per second on a tank that size won't raise CO2 levels too high to hurt fish. Next batch of sugar/water you make, only add 1/4 teaspoon of yeast.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote