Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniePN View Post
I cant find any data on there being a 30 inch Ray2. Is this true that it comes in a 30 inch?
30" is available. I have two. They are available on Amazon for less than the 24". Be warned that the 30" has the exact same LED strip as the 24" (about 22.5" of LEDs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreeme View Post
I appreciate all the work and data put in this thread. I just wish I understood it all
What I am trying to figure out is.....
I have a 6' 125 gallon tank that has an older halide fixture. 300 Watts of halide and 90 of florescent.
it is time to replace that fixture.
I was going to do a 4 bulb 320 watt t5ho fixture.
In looking at these.... I got to thinking about 2 of the 32 inch fixtures.
I have looked at the numbers, but am still confused. I am using co2 and would like to continue.
I was thinking that the ray 2s may be the answer, but don't wasn't to order them and be disappointed.
Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
I'm using two 30" and one 24" on my 72" 125 gallon tank but it is way too soon to determine if the lighting is acceptable for my plants.
Three 24s may have been a better choice but I was impatient and could only find 30s (and at a lower price than the 24s).
They are only 3" in depth so it is easy to stagger/overlap.
The 48" has two of the 22.5" LED strips so I have a difficult time understanding the drastic PAR difference between the 24" and 48" Ray 2 fixtures.

I think you can determine the width of the LED strip by dividing the number of LEDs by 8. Number of LEDs is usually listed, strip width usually isn't.
Strips I have owned: 48" (contains 45" of LED). 24" (contains 22.5" of LED). 30" (contains 22.5" of LED). 16" (contains 10.5" of LED).
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
Hey shadetreeme, I think that, while these are excellent lights for many tanks, your tank is a bit outside of what these lights are designed to be used for. They certainly don't make a six foot model. Perhaps 4 three foot Ray 2s would work but they aren't designed to be mounted partway over a tank, and in the center where the light fixtures would meet, your tank would have a dark area. I recommend T5s or some other LED system.

I do use a Finnex Ray, and I plan on getting another one for my next build. I'm very impressed with it.

Based on the PAR charts, I don't think there will be any dark areas.
The 48" version has two 24" LED strips yet the PAR on the 48" is significantly above the PAR on the 24." Since they use the same LEDs, the only way this is possible is if there is a decent spread of light off the ends of the fixture.
24" has 192 HO LEDs, 20 watts.
48" has 384 HO LEDs, 39 watts.
I've seen both of these fixtures, the 48" has two 22.5" LED strips and the 24" has one 22.5" LED strip.
If the charts are correct then there is significant light off the ends. There isn't any other way to explain the PAR difference between the two fixtures.

Ditto on the 18" (144 LED, 15w) and 36" (384 LED, 29w). 36" contains 2 of the LED strips that come in the 18" version yet the PAR under center is higher for the 36."

FWIW, I use two 30" and one 24" on my 72" wide 125 gallon. They sit nicely on the glass canopy and they are only about 3" in depth so they are easy to stagger. The unlit 3" at each end of the 30" is a perfect spot to attach moon light LEDs.
Finnex recommends that you do not place the fixture flush on the glass canopy (put the mounting clamps on and then rest the fixture on the canopy).
Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 AM   #19
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Finnex RAY II & FugeRAY PAR Data

I have an Aqua Japan -45 cm tank

I am told the bulb is not replaceable which is OK By me since I want a brighter tank. I'm trying to decide which of the finnex light fixtures to go with the 16 inch fuge ray clip light with red boost or the slim LED. my goal is a med light / no C02 on this one. Any opinions or folks that bought for a similar situation? It is about 12 inches tall. Appreciate your opinion especially if you have experience with their clip on fixtures
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
I have an Aqua Japan -45 cm tank

I am told the bulb is not replaceable which is OK By me since I want a brighter tank. I'm trying to decide which of the finnex light fixtures to go with the 16 inch fuge ray clip light with red boost or the slim LED. my goal is a med light / no C02 on this one. Any opinions or folks that bought for a similar situation? It is about 12 inches tall. Appreciate your opinion especially if you have experience with their clip on fixtures
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

well due to overwhelming replies iI went with the fuge ray....to much light
so I am experimenting with some floaters to lessen light
Old 04-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedTankRookie View Post

snopped

Finnex recommends that you do not place the fixture flush on the glass canopy (put the mounting clamps on and then rest the fixture on the canopy).
Did Finnex say why?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #22
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticz View Post
Did Finnex say why?
They cited a potential for over heating due to a lack of airflow between the aquarium glass canopy and the ray2 splash shield, which isn't water proof.

I rest my ray2 fixtures on the glass canopy so I didn't want to bother with the "slide on" fixtures for clamping the light to the tank.
After contacting Finnex, I decided to slide them on to be safe.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:52 AM   #23
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

The Fugeray should be a pretty good option for you...if you can find the correct length. I don't know for sure if a 20" fixture can move the legs in far enough to fit the 18" tank that you have.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #24
aja31
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Done more research, editing this post:

Do you have any PAR data on the Ray-2 30"?

I know it has the same number of LED's as the 24", but spreading them out over an additional 6" probably impacts the PAR a decent amount.

Also do you have any data of the light loss through a standard 1/4" glass cover? The % loss will change greatly depending on the LED spectrum, i'm most interested in the 7000k data though. I'd suspect about a 10% PAR loss through those and probably closer to 20% on the 10000k LED's, but i'd like to confirm that since it is just theoretical right now.

I'm trying to set up a 36g bow front with no CO2, so I want to keep the light levels low, but I don't think the fugray will provide enough light after going through the glass cover, but i'm not sure if the Ray-2 will provide too much light and cause uncontrollable algae blooms.

Last edited by aja31; 05-26-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: More research done, changing question
Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
PlantedTankRookie
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=aja31;3442994]Done more research, editing this post:

Do you have any PAR data on the Ray-2 30"?

I know it has the same number of LED's as the 24", but spreading them out over an additional 6" probably impacts the PAR a decent amount.

The LED's are not spread out over an additional 6."
The LED strips are identical. There is about 3/4" of space at each end of the 24" fixture and about 3 3/4" of space at each end fo the 30" fixture.
The same 22.5" LED strip is centered in each fixture.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
Aquatic_Adam
Algae Grower

Hey Lowe!

Let me start off by saying that I love the Finnex brand LED's. Sooner or later I will get some good pictures of my tanks up for the Facebook page. As an electrical engineer, fish lover, and a big proponent of green living, these fixtures are exactly what I am looking for!

With that, I do have some questions:

I was looking to set up a 40g long in the near future (48 inches long) and was trying to decide on if I wanted a Ray2 this time or to get my 4th FugeRay. The tank would be mostly medium light plants (various Crypts, Flame Swords, etc) so my original thought was FugeRay. My only reasoning for Ray2 was because I have been noticing that even in my 10gs, some of my stems plants (Hygrophila Angustifolia, various Rotala) lower leaves aren't getting sufficient lighting from the 10 inch FugeRay. I don't fully blame the FugeRay as my fert and CO2 regime has always been far from consistent. What are your thoughts?

Also, looking to hire any electrical engineers? *wink wink*

Don't be afraid of predatory fish. Unless you are a small fish. Then be very afraid.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
Chester
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)

Getting a Mr. Aqua 12 long with these dimensions 35.4 x 8.3 x 9.4 Inch... would rather not run CO2 and will dose with Excel. Would the Ray 2 be too much light?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #28
Aquatic_Adam
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
Getting a Mr. Aqua 12 long with these dimensions 35.4 x 8.3 x 9.4 Inch... would rather not run CO2 and will dose with Excel. Would the Ray 2 be too much light?
Yes it will be. On my other forum I have a friend with the same tank and a Ray2. You'll need CO2 and a nutrient regiment to keep from getting algae.

Don't be afraid of predatory fish. Unless you are a small fish. Then be very afraid.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #29
Fishstein
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Monsterray Color-Enhancing LED OK for plants on own?

Lowe or anyone who has tried the Aqua Vibrant Monsterray color-enhancing LED - is it fine on its own for plant growth? How does it compare in terms of light output to the 7000K Daylight or Fugeray LEDs?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
Fishstein
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Default Lowe could you post spectrum charts for other Aqua Vibrant LEDs?

Looking forward. Look like great LED lamps.
Closed Thread