Desktop Nano Planted Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-19-2002, 04:14 PM   #1
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I'll take some pictures of my 55g planted tank at home today, but I while I was settup up my USB port for my digital camera, I snapped a few pictures of my grungy looking nano planted tank here at work.

It's a 2.5 gallon with a swing-arm 13W compact flourescent light. Whisper mini filter, non-thermostatic heater, mixed kitty litter/standard gravel.
Living contents are just a few small Amazons, a dwarf sword and a piece of my Anubias Nana from my 55g tank. Three Glowlight Tetras, three Ottos and three Amano Shrimp round out the living contents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2002, 08:53 PM   #2
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

May I offer a few suggestion?? Just a thought, but, with that much lighting, co2, would really give the plants a nice head start. You also might want to look into some sort of liquid fertilizer. I use leaf zone with great results, for such a small tank, you could also try Florish Excel. It's more expensive, but it'll go a long way in such a small tank. As for the otos, you might have a bit of an over kill, but, if you really have that bad of an algae problem, maybe it's not such a bad thing. Anyway, all around, I think your tank an tons of potential. Good luck!
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:59 AM   #3
Backdraft_Bagel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to Backdraft_Bagel

yup. co2 AND flourish excel + your massive wattage will do it good. i have a similar 2.5 gallon aquarium.

Old 08-20-2002, 09:13 PM   #4
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to rdracer66 Send a message via Yahoo to rdracer66

Did you say kitty littter ??
rdracer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 01:17 AM   #5
jerseyjay
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
co2 AND flourish excel + your massive wattage will do it good
There is no need to use both products. Both are source of carbon and give the same result.
jerseyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 02:59 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

The suggestions are well taken. I've seen the effects of CO2 on my planted tank at home and Flourish Excel would be a fantastic addition to this tank. None of my local shops carry it and I don't want to pay shipping that costs more than the product so I'm waiting to put together a bigger order from www.petwarehouse.com

Kitty Litter? Yep - it's crushed clay that is effective as a plant substrate. Just make sure to get a no name brand plain kitty litter without fragrance or any other additives.

I think three Ottos is definitely overkill. I'm taking one home to my 55g tank. I might add a guppy, though. I've always liked them, but they tend to get dwarfed in a community tank. Looks good in your tank, Backdraft!
Old 08-21-2002, 03:04 PM   #7
rdracer66
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to rdracer66 Send a message via Yahoo to rdracer66

so you'd use kitty liter instead of flourite ?
rdracer66 is offline   Reply With Quote