Is this any good ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-17-2003, 10:07 AM   #1
tombsc
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to tombsc

From Website :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interpet Anti Hair Algae

Hair Algae is an unsightly nuisance in the aquarium. It will grow on any surface and quickly prevents plants from flourishing. Hair algae thrives in an aquarium that has excess light and nutrients. Hair algae comes in many colours including green, black and brown.

Interpet Anti Hair Algae helps to control hair algae returning your aquarium to its former glory.

1 Effective new active ingredients

2 Harmless to filters and all species of fish and plants

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could I use this to give me a headstart in the battle to rid my tank of hair algae, or is it best to keep trying with light increases and fert routines to find a balance ?

Thanks
Tom
tombsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2003, 11:23 AM   #2
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

Don't use it if you don't see any.If there is hair algae,buy some algae eater fish and they will do the trick.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2003, 11:26 AM   #3
lanstar
Planted Member

This product may be perfectly safe - it's hard to tell without knowing what's in it. I wonder if it's some kind of barley straw extract? Although I've never tried it, I've read about a couple of other algae control products that use a compound extracted from barley straw that also claim to be safe and effective.

The story (which may be apocryphal) goes: A farmer had a pond in his barley field. He was making hay bales and one of them fell in the pond and he left it there - since it was ruined anyway. Days later he noticed that the algae in the pond was less prolific. Later on, the algae was all gone. The fish and pond plants were not bothered. ...and that's how the idea to use barley straw to control algae was born.

Take all of that with a big grain of salt until you find someone who has really used it.

I think most of us just let Nature take its course and wait out the algae outbreaks. That's what I did.

Take care...

Tim
Old 12-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
Minders
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to Minders Send a message via Yahoo to Minders

I used a barley straw bale in my pond last year and still got string algae. I assumed it didn't work. I didn't use one this year and TONS OF STRING ALGAE. I'm wondering now if it worked, but only in that it kept it from going totally rampant like it did this year. Who knows? I'll have to try another bale next summer and see how it goes...
4ft tank - Keyhole Cichlids, Marbelled Hatchets, Corys (trilineatus, sterbai, albino sterbai), Brochis Splendens, Emporer Tetras, Golden Pencilfish, Glowlights, Rummynoses, Ottocinclus, Endlers Livebearers, Amano Shrimp (4x 30w Aqua-glo & Power-glo, laterite under sand substrate, Eheim Ecco 2236 and Fluval 4 plus filter)

2ft - Apistogramma Panduro, C139 corys

2.5ft - Breeding colony Zebra Plecs
Minders is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2003, 01:39 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Minders, try using a bigger bale or several smaller bales. I thought the principle behind this was microrganisms lived in the barley that consumed green algae. Maybe it's something different.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
tombsc
Planted Member

I'm going to try it when I get my new lights, wipe out the hair algae and hope the plants use the increased light before the algae comes back.

When I was growing my algal cultures for my thesis Porphyra leucosticta (a marine red alga) I managed to kill a whole batch as I touched the sporangia with my fingers after having a cigarette - the nicotine completely killed it. Would this have any affects in the freshwater aquarium - on algae or plants ??
Old 12-17-2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Minders
Algae Grower

Nicotine is very bad in an aquarium. Just as it hangs in layers in the air of the room where someone is smoking, so also does it dissolve in the water of your tank (despite a hood/cover). It's toxic and builds up over time. Bad news... I have a friend who said he had a friend 'round once, who sat next to his tank all night smoking a cigar and apparently, it wiped out his whole tank. Who knows... I read a post on another forum recently where people were discussing this very topic, i.e. Is smoking bad for my tank? There were a lot of varied opinions.
4ft tank - Keyhole Cichlids, Marbelled Hatchets, Corys (trilineatus, sterbai, albino sterbai), Brochis Splendens, Emporer Tetras, Golden Pencilfish, Glowlights, Rummynoses, Ottocinclus, Endlers Livebearers, Amano Shrimp (4x 30w Aqua-glo & Power-glo, laterite under sand substrate, Eheim Ecco 2236 and Fluval 4 plus filter)

Old 12-17-2003, 03:50 PM   #8
tombsc
Planted Member

I know smoking near the aquarium is dangerous, and I don't let anyone smoke near my tanks....but surely thats mainly from the CO and nitrosomas that saturate the water and cause asphyxiation. I was thinking more of the affects of nicotine resin, would it affect higher plants, or just algae ?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:58 AM   #9
tombsc
Planted Member

Tried the Interpret Anti Hair algae. Gave the tank 3 doses and voila..all the hair algae died and could be rubbed off the plants very easily. I still can't afford a light upgrade to fit in my existing hood so I know it will come back in a day or two, but at least I know it works.
BTW all the palnts seem OK, so do all the fish inc. discus + clowns
Old 01-27-2004, 02:45 AM   #10
g8wayg8r
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Minders, try using a bigger bale or several smaller bales. I thought the principle behind this was microrganisms lived in the barley that consumed green algae. Maybe it's something different.
Free oxygen
This site claims that free oxygen is released when it decays. It acts like peroxide. I can't say it's right or wrong.
g8wayg8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
Minders
Algae Grower

Well, I need to do SOMETHING. I go in there and try to pull out every strand I see... and within a few weeks, it's all over the place again. :x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.