Guide: Arduino based LED controller for Current Satellite LED+ - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #151
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dang, if only I'd done some coding and wiring before. This feature would be almost exactly what I would want should I go the Current LED+ route. Wish I had some of my engineering friends from school around again...might have to wait out for the new model and see how it compares.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #152
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

We will get the code nailed down... It's about 90% there now. All of the basic functionality is already working. If you can cobble the hardware together, we can help you get it running. Right now, if you can unzip files and copy/paste some code, you can get it running.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #153
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Well it might be a neat project to try then if you wouldn't mind. I'm a bit hesitant to do any wiring as I've literally never messed around with anything like this before.

Just want to make sure, does post #3 contain the up to date parts needs? I sort of read through the thread, but it's heavy text so I can't really tell what's been updated or not.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #154
Caver
Algae Grower

I just compiled & loaded v3.

My IR range improved DRASTICALLY! Easily 8-10 feet. I'm using the 2N3904 amp circuit posted earlier.

Gonna let it run and see how it goes.

My 2nd LED+ fixture is due tomorrow. I'm going to put it on my 6 gal. shrimp tank and run both fixtures off the controller.

fun...fun...fun...
Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #155
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpappy789 View Post
Well it might be a neat project to try then if you wouldn't mind. I'm a bit hesitant to do any wiring as I've literally never messed around with anything like this before.

Just want to make sure, does post #3 contain the up to date parts needs? I sort of read through the thread, but it's heavy text so I can't really tell what's been updated or not.
Post 3 will get you started, and you'll want to get an RTC shield as well. Get one based on the ds1307, and make sure it has headers attached already if you've never soldered before. Dahammer has a post somewhere in here with the parts needed to amplify the emitter if you want to, but it isn't necessary just to get it running. Feel free to link whatever you find here and one of us will let you know if it will work for you.

Don't be overwhelmed, it's really pretty simple to get going.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 08-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #156
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the assurance. Gunna have to see if it's something I have the time to do now I know that the Current timers are coming out soon. The price will certainly be nice though.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:13 AM   #157
Dahammer
Algae Grower

I copied IndyChusí idea and put a section of ink pen tube around the LED and that bumped the range up even more. It was a perfect fit, btw; awesome idea! Iím now getting a fairly reliable 15í to 16í with it. Thatís as far away as I get from my fixture without taking it into another room. Thatís good enough for me.

What I ended up with is a 120 ohm resistor between pin 3 and the base of a 2N2222 transistor. Well actually a 100 ohm and two 10 ohm resistors in series because I didnít find a 120 ohm. I didnít put a resistor between the LED and Vcc. I didnít really see the point since I canít saturate the transistor enough to pull enough current through it to cause an overload. I'll post an updated schematic in a little while.

I also went ahead and soldered everything onto a project board and installed it in an enclosure. Here she is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	187649  

Name:	IMG_2197.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	187657  

Name:	IMG_2198.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	187665  

Dahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 AM   #158
Caver
Algae Grower

Just a quick report before bed...

Compiled & loaded v3 earlier this evening with my alarm schedule loaded.

It looks like the RTC isn't running correctly. The time never displays in the serial monitor window and the controller never switched modes per the alarms set.

The manual control via the serial monitor works great, so the LED is working.

Unfortunately...being a work night, I can't stay up to play with it, so I'll dig into it after work tomorrow and keep watch here.

Night all...
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #159
Dahammer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caver View Post
Just a quick report before bed...

Compiled & loaded v3 earlier this evening with my alarm schedule loaded.

It looks like the RTC isn't running correctly. The time never displays in the serial monitor window and the controller never switched modes per the alarms set.

The manual control via the serial monitor works great, so the LED is working.

Unfortunately...being a work night, I can't stay up to play with it, so I'll dig into it after work tomorrow and keep watch here.

Night all...
Ok, thanks. I see what's happening. If you have DEBUG_IR defined (and you do since you can send in tests), then it just sits and waits on you to send it something. The Alarms don't happen because Alarm.delay(which is required to make them work) isn't being called while it just sits in loop() waiting for a command. Once you send in a command, then Alarm.delay gets called and all of your alarms you had set that have backed up should fire all at once. Not good.

The reason the time isn't displayed is because I omitted it when in debug mode. The reason I omitted it and the Alarm.delay call is because otherwise it would sit in the delay for 15 minutes before checking to see if you sent in a command. Also not good.

I should have done a better job of implementing the serial command feature. But I viewed it more as a test feature that you’d use to verify you could control the light and then you’d disable it. But I guess it is a nice a feature to have that opens up all sorts of opportunities, like enabling/disabling storm modes on the fly, changing the alarm times on the fly and so on.

So with that in mind, I’ve modified the code so that you can leave DEBUG_IR defined and still have everything else work like it’s supposed to. It should work now….maybe..

I'll update it above, instead of re-posting it. Here is a link:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...&postcount=148
Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #160
Caver
Algae Grower

Thanks Dahammer...

I certainly didn't expect you to jump on the code last night! We all appreciate the work you, Indychus and others are doing on the development of this.

Personally, I like having the serial option available simultaneously with the alarms...especially right now during development. It makes it easier to not have to load different versions of the code to test something. I'll give the code a try tonight when I get off work.

I like your packaging. I'm planning on doing something similar. I'll try to post pics when I do it.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #161
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahammer View Post
I also went ahead and soldered everything onto a project board and installed it in an enclosure. Here she is.
Where did you get that enclosure box? Hard to find good ones.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #162
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Somebody post a wiring diagram for this! I'm chomping at the bit to shrink this thing down to something tiny!LOL
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #163
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
Somebody post a wiring diagram for this! I'm chomping at the bit to shrink this thing down to something tiny!LOL

PM me your email and I can send you something once its finalized... Probably this weekend or early next week. I keep getting delayed at work. It looks like dahammer has solved the range issue, but I still want to add the LCD screen to it. After that, I think it's done hardware-wise. I think a shield is probably better suited to this application than a full board, so tinkerers can add thermocouples or other sensors to further automate their tank.

I'm thinking something with a header to wire to the Arduino, a header to wire to an optional LCD, then the RTC, transistor amplifier circuit, IR receiver and emitter all on board.

Sent from my HTC One X
Old 08-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #164
Caver
Algae Grower

Sounds cool Indychus!

What are your ideas for the LCD display?

A dual channel thermometer is on my tinker list, unfortunately my temp sensors are on the proverbial "slow boat from China" quite literally...
Old 08-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #165
Dahammer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Where did you get that enclosure box? Hard to find good ones.
It came from Adafruit. The have them in 3 different colors and they are $15 each. I like it and would buy another one but I was expecting a little better fit. The stand offs for Uno are right on the money and fit fine but the top & bottom of the enclosure don't fit together as well as they could. I also didn't like that it has cut outs for an LCD on both the top and bottom, yet they only included 1 plug with mine. So I have a hole where an LCD goes. I guess they want me to order an LCD. Haha. It might just be a missing part with mine though, because it also has 2 smaller cut outs and they included plugs for both of those.

Tags
arduino, automation, current led+, diy, light controller