The Planted Tank Forum banner

Confirm my pregnant black molly?

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  TankYouVeryMuch 
#1 ·
Heres a video, hoping someone will confirm for me...

She(?) got fat about 3 weeks ago and it hasnt gone away. Acts pretty normal and eats normal... She has been staying towards the bottom of the tank lately, and has seemed to pair up with a guppy?! They are constantly swimming/playing together, which leads me to my next possibly dumb question...

Did my molly get pregnant by a guppy?? Is that even possible?! I dont think so but I dont understand how she could be pregnant, havent had any other mollys and ive had her for at least 2 months now and was never pregnant before so she wasnt bought pregnant... Or was she? :eek5:

#2 ·
Looks pregnant to me.

For a Livebearer fish to make it to a local fish store and not have come into contact with the opposite sex would be unusual. This is probably not the first time she has gotten pregnant and they can hold sperm for up to 6mos or so. That is to say that in about 30 days after she has them, she could be having more.

#11 ·
Sorry meant breeder net, not box...

I have it setup above my airstone and the surface water inside is constantly being moved... I also tossed a bunch of moss in there...

Question is, how long is it safe to keep her in there if she doesnt give birth soon? 2-3 days? Just leave her in there? I dont want too much stress but this net is my best option... Not going in the 10gal and my 50g isnt planted and has 2 goldfish, they wouldnt last long.

#16 ·
Nah, im pretty nerdy and think i wouldve seen at least 1 fry... I saw a few before in a different tank before my black moor devoured them :/. And shes still huge in the gut... Never stopped eating or swimming with other fish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.