Angels insane ?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
gene4christ
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Angels insane ?

WOW!!!!! I would not have believed it , if I had not seen it , with my own eyes !! As soon as the light went out , and I meeeeeen the very instant it went out , the parents turned on their own eggs and devoured every one within minuets !!Has anyone else witnessed this behavior from an established pair . :^(

Well this morning they were looking for the eggs and trying to protect them. Like they are so confused almost like they don't know. Good grief YOU GUYS ATE THEM! !!!! :^(

Last edited by gene4christ; 08-04-2013 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling
gene4christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

well from the pic the eggs looked white. if they were white like they look in the pic then they ate them cause they were bad. every time i noticed eggs i would leave the light on. but then again where my tank was it always had the kitchen light on at night any way. i think i have heard about this before but i dont know for sure right now.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #3
gene4christ
Planted Member

They weren't as white as the picture makes them out to be. They looked good to me but then I could be wrong . They normally pick the bad eggs off right away, though this time might have been different. Still seemed odd that as soon as the light went out, they turned their noses down at the same time and went at it !!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

With "established pairs" - those that have parent raised a clutch through free swimming no,,, not without something to trigger the panic response.
\
With new pairs yes, many times. Anything that changes in the environment can cause it. Many, many pairs will repeatedly eat the eggs as they transform to wigglers before figuring it out.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
gene4christ
Planted Member

Hmmm could be they are just frustrated then. They have only gotten their young to free swimming twice , and both times after the fry started venturing out into the tank, they got picked off by the other inhabitants , even though they were able to save and keep 50 or so the first day of free swimming, they did not make it through the first night of open water swimming . After those attempts they have not made to hatch . Kinda think you are onto the problem there , wkndracer , but the community tank is their only option for now . thanks .
Old 08-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #6
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4christ View Post
Hmmm could be they are just frustrated then. They have only gotten their young to free swimming twice , and both times after the fry started venturing out into the tank, they got picked off by the other inhabitants , even though they were able to save and keep 50 or so the first day of free swimming, they did not make it through the first night of open water swimming . After those attempts they have not made to hatch . Kinda think you are onto the problem there , wkndracer , but the community tank is their only option for now . thanks .

Mine regularly breed and manage to get free swimming fry for about three days, but by then, the tank mates pick off all the fry. Never had a problem with them eating the eggs.
longgonedaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
gene4christ
Planted Member

They are acting friendly again we shall see in a few days I think