Overfeeding- what is it?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Overfeeding- what is it?

SO when I was a cichlid breeder the idea was you only feed what can be eaten in a few minutes. But what i learned is its not that simple for a few reasons. Some of the more aggressive cichlids would feed first. Others smaller or less aggressive would wait til they could get in there and others waited til it was dark and quiet. I have seen similar reactions with my shrimp. For example my CRS seem to atatck food as soon as it goes in. My RCS seem to have some that attack food immediately and others dont seem so interested while I have a group of CBS that some will go for th efood and then hours later i will see the fore yellows which are smaller around the food later and even still another tank that seems like no one eats except the snails until dark. So two questions. Is it overfeeding if the food is ot gone with in a certain time period and do shrimp like some fish eat as much as you will feed them or will they stop and leave it alone once they are full so overfeeding can mean to much available food? Or is it overfeeding if it sits in the tank to long hurting teh quality of the water?
gmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

To me you are overfeeding if the food is not surrounded by shrimp until it is gone. If the shrimp get their fill and leave the food alone you are overfeeding.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

oblongshrimp ... my issue is that some of my shrimp just dont surround the food or seem interested til its there for a while... so i dont know if they are not hungry, wrong food, or just a behavioural thing?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

In my experience they just aren't that hungry. My Tigers and CRS that are heavily populated will attack food seconds after it hits the water. Anytime I do anything in the tank they start swarming around looking for food, even if I am not feeding them. Within 2 minutes the food is surrounded. I have been feeding them around 8 pieces of shirakura food lately and every piece gets swarmed.

How long do your shrimp take to start eating the food and what are you feeding them? How many shrimp do you have in the tank and what size is the tank? Shrimp prefer biofilm so if the population density is low enough they will just feed on biofilm.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

My two tanks that swarm are my CRS and RCS tanks which are 20 and 15 gallons... they are them most planted but also the most amount of shrimp in them with RCS probaly 30-40 and 20-30 CRS. My fire yellows and CBS are new aboyt 25 in a 30 gallon with some plants but not much yet... I need some easy plants still looking though.
My tt and carbon rili tanks about 20 in a 10 gallon with a few plants and subwassertang. I have been feeding azoo growth and breeder. Today for the first time i tried some organic boiled spinach which every one seems to like. SO i put it in the freezer and figures i will feed once a week. I am looking to add new foods to their diets.

Tags
feeding, food, overfeeding, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.