GBR questions!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
CTet
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

GBR questions!

Hey guys, so two days ago I just picked up a mated pair of German Blue Rams. I am so freaking happy and I'm already in love with their behavior and personalities! I was really worried that they wouldn't adapt well as I've read that they're so finicky when it comes to parameters, stress, etc..

I'm happy because today is day two and theyve already come out of hiding and actually eaten some flake food from my hand. I guess I must be doing something right!
So here are my questions.. What is a good temperature compromise for my community tank. I am currently housing about 13 cardinal tetras, 2 guppies and now the rams. I have the temperature set to 78 but I've read that they are much happier around 80 or above. I would like them to breed as I think that will be really cool. Should I keep it at 78? Should I bring it up to 80?
I'm pumping DIY CO2 (only a little, just a Hagen with DIY mix) and my pH hangs around 7.6. I was thinking about lowering that as well since I've read they like softer water. Although I don't know a solid way to lower pH without adding AS or changing sub...
I also feel like I could just leave the parameters where they are as they seem very active already..
Thanks for any input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-20.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	186041  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	186049  

CTet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
pantherspawn
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

My opinion.. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
14 gal cf newly planted
10 gal Marineland led low tech low light
10 gal Marineland led qt tank
6 gal snail breeder
5 gal fluval chi dust collector
3 gal beta tank
pantherspawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

pH just leave it alone those gbr don't care unless they were wild caught, which they aren't.

temp? what compromise? sacrifice a 20.00+pair of GBR for a couple of 2.00 guppies?
just raise the temp to 80-82 I'm sure everyone will be fine and the rams happier.

add some live brine shrimp, white worms, cut up blackworms to get a good spawn. or add some frozen
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Mine were fine at 78-80, but I would be worried if it dropped any lower. Just bump it up a few degrees...chances are the other fish will be fine.

I also agree that there's no reason to mess with your water chemistry. Not to mention targeting the pH wont necessarily mean you have soft water. You may see a pH drop from the CO2 anyways.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
JJBTEXAS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Mine spawn around 81 degrees so I would say atleast 80. Everyone else will be fine at 80.
JJBTEXAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
CTet
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the tips guys!
So I just checked my tank and I guess it's already up around 81 because its warmer in my place! It was the perfect opportunity to raise the temp to 80
I'm so happy, these guys are super active and already following me/begging for food!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #7
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I keep mine at 84F and 86F in both tanks and breeding is going on every week now. I am currently raising 3 spawns of different sizes in 82-84F tanks all are growing real good.

I have rice fish and kubotai rasboras and runnynose tetras in these tanks too and no problems...haven't lost any....in fact I think my ricefish are pregnant.
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
CTet
Algae Grower

Okay, so I'm noticing some interesting behavior:
Both of the rams seem to be building a "nest" in the back corner of the tank. They seem very happy and are eating well. I'm noticing this strange thing where one will hang down by the nest and the other will swim up to my nano CO2 diffuser and peck at the bubbles. They will take turns going back and forth for hours! Any idea what this means?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Probably getting into breeding mode and defending their new territory. You may see eggs soon.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTet View Post
Okay, so I'm noticing some interesting behavior:
Both of the rams seem to be building a "nest" in the back corner of the tank. They seem very happy and are eating well. I'm noticing this strange thing where one will hang down by the nest and the other will swim up to my nano CO2 diffuser and peck at the bubbles. They will take turns going back and forth for hours! Any idea what this means?
They probably think the CO2 bubbles are trying to invade their turf. Or they might just be playing around.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
CTet
Algae Grower

Eggs would be great!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
CTet
Algae Grower

So... Lately these two seem to be having issues. I think.
The males seems to have set himself up in the corner of my tank. He is very big and vibrant and the female seems to be losing color over the last few days. She seems healthy but he has been constantly chasing her out of his corner and around the tank. Any thoughts on what might be going on or what I should do? I rearranged but that doesnt seem to help much. Here is a crappy quality cell video..

http://youtu.be/8MKTwLUiaYg
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Blueangel
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Umm maybe you got eggs or wigglers or even young fry. That's what it seems like to me. But I am no expert on rams. Some one else probably will be around soon.
Blueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #14
garloki72
Algae Grower

How long have you notcied this behavior for? Rams tend to their young together as a pair so if they do have eggs or fry you would be seeing them chase any other fish that come too close to their nest. Are you positive you have a male and a female? My best bet is that the male is ready to breed but the female is not and the male will not allow her in his territory until she is ready to spawn. If this is the case, then you will need to condition them. Feed the rams frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp 3-4 times a day along with their regular staple food. Do frequent ~20% water changes, around 2 or 3 times a week with slightly cooler water, and finally, raise your temperature by 1 or 2 degrees. If that doesn't work then I would imagine your rams do not want to form a pair, being that they pick their mates for life.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
CTet
Algae Grower

The behavior has been going on for about a week. I've had them for maybe a month now. My lfs (I trust/know them well) sold them to me as a mated pair. When I brought them home, they originally swam together, never fought, etc. it just seems like the male has only recently become aggressive toward the female. I can't find eggs but I'm concerned because she has very little color now. She eats well and acts healthy but you can tell she's stressed. I'm also positive she is a female.