Discus in MidMO
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Missouri

Old 11-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
stev0205
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Discus in MidMO

I feel as though this is a long shot... but i was wondering if anyone keeps discus anywhere around columbia? Also I'm also very interested to know if there are any discus breeders around missouri in general? Thanks a ton.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
icegreen
Algae Grower

Don't know if this helps but Brothers Pets in Kc had quite a few types of discus last time I was in there and said they were all raised by a local breeder. You might contact them.
icegreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
jelisoner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

carousel pets in jeff city has a few ...but im not sure if they are for sell since its in a display tank ... although he said he could get them in ...i went to all the pet stores in columbia about 2 months ago and none had discuss
Old 11-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
stev0205
Planted Member

yea i work at a lfs in columbia and I know we can get them in, but my owner tells me he would never wish those fish on anyone he knows... apparently LOW quality... but if someone in KC is breeding them I'll have to check it out...
Old 11-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Dont buy any from pet treasures in ellisville. The owners an idiot. He wanted $90 for a 3-4" melon burst (best name i could think of" that was amaciated and clamped. I asked him what he would sell it to me for right then. We settled on $40. He has since fattened up but is still unwilling to fight back against my more dominant discus. I asked if he would take it back for store credit so he could have his own tank and grow more freely. He said he would only give me half credit after 2 weeks.

Andy's animals in Vally park has some nice 6-8" ones for ~$80. Maybe try giving them a call.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
fishbait
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Jack Taylor is a K.C. breeder. His site is http://www.geocities.com/kc_discus/
Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
jelisoner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

what store you work at? ill be going to columbia in the next few weeks to buy some fish for my 125
Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

I have a 3-4" white diamond you can have. Im done with discus untill I can get a bigger tank. LMK..

Here is a crappy pic. He has pretty irridescent fins.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
bradac56
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56

I lived in Mokane, MO for the last seven years (halfway between Jefferson City and Fulton) and my advice would be to order discus online. Get a good quality female and then order a box of wilds from Anubias Design and you'll be much happier in the long run.

The local stores in Columbia, Jefferson City, Fulton, are pretty clueless. The guy in Fulton is nice and tries hard but has a horrible selection (as in none most of the time) though he gets in some anibus on occasion that's pretty good.

The Fin&Feather store in Mexico, MO is probably the best in the area but it's a bit pricy and hit-&-miss on anything but standard stock fish. They do have a used equipment rack that you can find a good bargain on once in awhile but there tanks are priced out of the market.

~

I'm moving to KC (actually put the house on the market and I'm working full time in KC now) so I gave the Fulton store the last of my peacock Cichlid's last weekend - one adult striped peacock, five six month old striped and eight six month old strawberry's (albino's that turn a light peach/strawberry shade).

Once I get setup and breeding again I'll probably start taking some down to the Fulton store on a semi-regular basses which means discus, pencilfish, galaxy rasboro, betta's and cherry shrimp.

- Brad
bradac56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
GTR
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

We have a local breeder near us. He started in SW 20+ years ago a switched to FW several years back. lol
inlandempirediscus.com

SteveU
GTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
baldy1970
Algae Grower

Columbia Pets on the Business Loop is the best in Columbia
baldy1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
j0onahra3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
We have a local breeder near us. He started in SW 20+ years ago a switched to FW several years back. lol
inlandempirediscus.com

SteveU
I think stev0205 wanted to find a lfs in missouri not in socal LOL
Old 08-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #13
tankmaster40092
Algae Grower

i live in Columbia, mo i would say that Columbia Pet center is the best for fish, their shrimp are very pricey RCS $3.49 and blue velvets $4.99 each. all the fish i have bought from there lived and are doing great. they also have a great selection on aquatic plants.
tankmaster40092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
breeder, discus, missouri

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.