Relocating 40G tank question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 08-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
MKNguyenV2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Relocating 40G tank question

Good Morning,

This is my first thread after looking around the forums for a while. I tried search around with no luck. I plan on relocated my 40G breeder tank from one side of the house to another. I know that I should keeping as much of the old water as possible.

When I first bought the substrate I got flourite and I didn't know I need to rinse it out. Well after a year, there is still dust/dirt stuck in the substrate and it bothers me a lot when I escape. Would it be safe for me to take out the substrate and rinse it out during the move, replant, and then add the water in?

Personally I prefer eco complete but I canít afford to completely replace the substrate at the moment. How would you recommend me to change out the substrate later on if I ever decide to change it?

The Inhabitants:
-1 Angel Fish
-4 Platies
-7 Serpae tetras
-2 Amano Shrimp

Lightly planted at the moment

Thanks in advice guys
MKNguyenV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Depending on how much of a rescape you are doing. Since you have your substrates for over a year, those aren't dust. They are just simply mulms and debris and waste trapped underneath it. Regardless what substrates you use, a major rescape will stir up tons of debris. I say leave the substrates alone. Rescape as you please and try not to dig through the substrates too much.

This is what I would do. Get a 15g or 31g square storage box from Lowes or Homedepot. The 15g is about $7 and the 31g is about $15. You can also get a large 29g round plastic garbage can. They cost more, something like $30. Fill them up with your tank water. Use your head now...the square one it would deform a bit when the water is pretty filled up. So, don't fill them up too much. With the round garbage can, you can fill it up higher. Put your fish in there as well as your filter. Keep the filter running in it. Then, drain whatever the water level needed to enable you to move the tank. After you are done, put fish and the old water back to the tank, and followed by filling up the tank new water. Next day, do another 40% water change. After your rescape, you would experience a spike in your ammonia level. Your may experience a sudden outburst of algae. Doing one or 2 40% WC after the rescape should help.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Last edited by tetra73; 08-02-2013 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: typo
tetra73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
MKNguyenV2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you very much! Will do!!!
MKNguyenV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flourite, moving, substrate