Noah's 40B Rainbow Garden - Page 10
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #136
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Update time.
The Kliner Prinz swords are growing very well. They have a nice burgundy color to the leaves (forgot to snap a pic this time around.) They grow at a medium pace, so it will be some time until they fill in there space well. Hopefully tomorrow I will get my Franz stoffels from the LFS I have one ordered through. it will replace the Giant hygro in the back mid point. The Ludwigia 'cuba' is growing very well in its new location. I thought I was going to loose all of the plant, but once I moved them up front they are growing very well, I have doubled the amount of stems in about a month. My Stellatus is growing very well again too. I moved it to the mid tank, mid ground location from its back area. I have also doubled that one in about a month too. The only plants struggling now are the giant hygro. I continue to battle the BBA, its not attacking the plants as much, though I do have some on my very slow growing plants. Mostly its an eye sore on the hardscape only. My crypts of course still seem to get it on the leaf margins. I just take the leaf off and all is well lol. The fish are doing great. My bows are doing what they usually do, eat and mate lol. I plan on getting some oto's, and a couple of peacock gudgeons for the tank. I might get ahold of a small school of Danio Choprae for a top level swimmer. They with the exception of the oto are from the same part of the world (which I am going for) The Nigrans are also a top priority to breed here soon. This weekend I will put the sponge filter material in my canister and seed it for a week or so. I need to clean the Q tank and make some breeding mops and then condition the nigrans. I will probably do that before I get any other fish, since I have only one Q tank they are the top priority.

Well.....

Here are a few pics. More than just fish this time.

Full tank shot

1/4 tank left

1/4 tank right

ludwigia 'cuba'

Stellatus

Male herbertaxelrodi and Male Nigrans
Noahma is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #137
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Looking good Noah!
I got some hygro from Zimbo a while ago, stuff grows like a weed. I am still trying to figure out the best way to prune it. I have it growing out in the sun and it is a beautiful red/brown color. I also have some growing in a low light tank where is doing very well. I think slow is good in this case. With better light and nutrition the lower leaves just keep making trouble.
I have lots of sunset these days if you’re interested in trading for some stellatus.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #138
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceF View Post
Looking good Noah!
I got some hygro from Zimbo a while ago, stuff grows like a weed. I am still trying to figure out the best way to prune it. I have it growing out in the sun and it is a beautiful red/brown color. I also have some growing in a low light tank where is doing very well. I think slow is good in this case. With better light and nutrition the lower leaves just keep making trouble.
I have lots of sunset these days if you’re interested in trading for some stellatus.

Thanks!

now that's what I call full circle lol I gave Zimbo some of the hyrgro. sunset about a year ago lol

As soon as I get some of the side shoots larger for the stellatus I would be happy to throw a couple stems your way.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #139
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Pictures!!!

I stopped by Catfish Charlie's and purchased his last two M.Kamaka rainbows. They are doing very good in my Q-tank, I usually Quarantine new fish no matter the source for a month. These two have already colored up and are eating VERY well. I am very happy that it is a male and female so some Baby Kamakas might make it out of the tank

I have my spawn mops ready and once the Kamaka are in the display tank I will try to catch the nigrans and start the breeding of them.

he tank is doing ok. I have this devil algae that looks like brown fuzz. It is a pain I suck it all out, and the next week its back in full force. I am going to try an Excel overdose in the tank this week to see if I can eliminate it. The BBA I do have is growing very very slowly so I might be able to gain the upper hand. It is really not attacking plants much, but the hardscape gets the worst of it. My crypts are suffering a little too

All my bows are doing great. I find eggs scattered around the tank every day, although I do not want to hatch them not knowing which bows produced them, and if they are hybrids or not. So... they stay for bow omelets lol

I am still waiting for my Franz Stoffels, my LFS Is having a hard time getting one in for me. I have a place holder ( Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar') to fill that place in until. I get it, and I will either give the Kleiner to a local or put it in another location in the tank.

I will post very recent pictures after my hack fest tomorrow. There are several plant groups that are ready to be replanted, and trimmed badly. as well as a couple movements.

Here are some from a couple weeks ago though.

FTS

Night Shot (it is very dim in person, this is taken with a lumia 920, which takes excellent low light photos)

Right 1/4 side

Herbertaxelrodi male

Herbertaxelrodi and Nigrans males

Male Nigrans

Kleiner prinz swords (getting moved tomorrow to a nicer location
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #140
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

Looking good Noah. Nice new additions.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #141
Roshan8768
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Awesome tanks, love the rainbowfish!!! Definitely my favorite type of freshwater fish, and their colors really pop in planted aquariums. If you had some kind of red plant near the center of your tank, it would really help create the illusion of depth by breaking up the sea of green
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #142
kamikaziechameleon
Algae Grower

Quite an inspiration. I'm surprised you don't have issues with them in a 40. Dwarf Neon rainbows seemed cramped in my 40b. At any rate your aquascaping is impeccable.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #143
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Looking good Noah. Nice new additions.
Thanks!! You going to the fall auction? I might go to see about snagging some of the smaller bows if Whats his name is there again lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
Awesome tanks, love the rainbowfish!!! Definitely my favorite type of freshwater fish, and their colors really pop in planted aquariums. If you had some kind of red plant near the center of your tank, it would really help create the illusion of depth by breaking up the sea of green
Thanks, I am certainly a bow head lol. If only I could have more tanks for more species. I have a list of 30+ that I one day would like to own.

Its hard to see them, but there is a bush of Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf' smack dab in the middle of the tank. For some reason I seem to only get good pictures of the tank after its been trimmed down. The crowns of the plant are a nice red color with a golden yellow the rest of the way down the stem. one of the nifty things about this plant too is at a low high light the crowns are red, but as the day goes on the red fades and goes down to the golden yellow. I usually am just getting home from work after they start to lighten up so I miss the color (I will see if I can get a good pic of it here soon.) once I get my franz stoffels I will have another redish / pink plant in the middle "row"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaziechameleon View Post
Quite an inspiration. I'm surprised you don't have issues with them in a 40. Dwarf Neon rainbows seemed cramped in my 40b. At any rate your aquascaping is impeccable.
The bows I have are doing EVERY well in the tank, each specie spawns daily in a different are of the tank. the Nigrans like the java fern and green rotala, the bosmani in the back of the tank in the hygro. and my herbertaxelrodi in the Ranunculus inundatus. I carefully chose which bows to put in the tank by growth rate, and overall adult size. I have two large bows (the bosmani), a medium specie (the herbertaxelrodi) and two small species (Nigrans and Kamakas) and they have plenty of room to swim and break line of sight during spawning time. before the tank was setup I passed my stocking idea by a very seasoned bow keeper and was told it would work. He actually poo poo'd my idea of putting some furcatas instead of one of the other species because they are jerks to larger bows lol.

Hopefully if things keep improving in the housing industry (I am a residential designer) I might be able to get a little larger home and upgrade to a 75g lol.
That's a couple years off though.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #144
Roshan8768
Planted Member

Nice, wow that sounds really cool as far as the plant transitioning colors!! Never heard of that before... pics would be great!!

And yeah, a 40b is definitely enough room for rainbows if you pick the right species and know what you're doing. I threw my boesmani's in my container pond for the summer and got about 30-40 juveniles that one season. But that was many years ago... fun project if you have the time/space/if its your kind of thing. Awesome fish to work with though.... kinda like larger more colorful danios with more personality and complex/interesting behavior
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #145
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

There was a pair of nigrans at the last mini auction during the July meeting. I will be at the fall auction I am sure. You should come.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #146
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshan8768 View Post
Nice, wow that sounds really cool as far as the plant transitioning colors!! Never heard of that before... pics would be great!!

And yeah, a 40b is definitely enough room for rainbows if you pick the right species and know what you're doing. I threw my boesmani's in my container pond for the summer and got about 30-40 juveniles that one season. But that was many years ago... fun project if you have the time/space/if its your kind of thing. Awesome fish to work with though.... kinda like larger more colorful danios with more personality and complex/interesting behavior
These things live for one thing.... food lol
I am going to be breeding my Nigrans here soon, once my Qtank is clear. should be fun.

Quote:
There was a pair of nigrans at the last mini auction during the July meeting. I will be at the fall auction I am sure. You should come.
I will be there, with a little bit of cash too lol it would be nice to get a few more nigrans, especially males since I have 1 male and three females. A bit of genetic diversity is always nice.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #147
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Love the Bows! Tank looking good as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #148
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Love the Bows! Tank looking good as well.
Thanks! I must say, your tank is one of my favorite ones on the site

Here is a quick update. A few more additions, which will probably be the last for the tank for a very long time (not that I do not want to add more) I just do not want to tax the system too much with the stock levels.

A LFS was having to close due to health problems of the owner so I grabbed a few of his remaining Bows. I grabed two Kamakas (not sure if they are both female, or one male) And I grabbed two Lacustrus. again, since the males and females of this particular species look soo much alike I am not sure what sex I got, although I am getting more confident that I have a male and female of the Lacustrus.

The plans are groing pretty good now, I am still battling this snotty brown algae (not diatoms but a fuzz type algae) And as usual the BBA, which is pretty much limited to hardscape now. I still have not been able to receive the Franz stoffels. I do have another sword growing out on the far left side, once it starts producing large leaves, it is going to the right side of the tank and to the left of the rock pile behind the rotala green. I replanted my Ludwigia broad leaf, and it did not like it this time for some reason. So my "rows" have a hole in the back of the tank as I try to save the plant. I have some red plant (labled as ludwigia red) by my LFS but looks like ludwigia inclinata (not one of the varriants) I will see if I can get that sucker to grow out. It is just to the left of my stellatus.

The Staurgyne (sp?) repens is supprisingly exploding in growth, and my pogostemon helferi is doing very good, one of my favorites so far. Whell, here are a few pics.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #149
Shimagoma
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Shimagoma Send a message via Skype™ to Shimagoma

love it! def stalking this thread, giving me ideas for a 60 gal

ahhh so nice!
Shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #150
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

Looking good Noah! I have to wonder what the local water is like after all that rain.