10g planted RCS tank, 55g community Journal (update heavy) - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #61
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

The lowest grade berried cherry... Will get better pics today

TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #62
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

I love how u can see the particles coming off the food in this pic

Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #63
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

love your stuff!
kcoscia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #64
chuboogmommy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just found this thread today-love it! My goldies seem determined to thwart my attempts at planting my 55 gal (they're lucky they are cute

I love that DIY slate tiered cave thingy in there-what kind of slate did you use? Where did you get it?

Lookin' great-good luck!
chuboogmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #65
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoscia View Post
love your stuff!
Thanks!! I try to keep up with your journal too

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuboogmommy View Post
Just found this thread today-love it! My goldies seem determined to thwart my attempts at planting my 55 gal (they're lucky they are cute

I love that DIY slate tiered cave thingy in there-what kind of slate did you use? Where did you get it?

Lookin' great-good luck!
Sadly, "mr.bill" was donated. Partly because his bio-load, partly because he was a goldfish living with tropicals. I REALLY should donate my black moor too, but he was one of my first fish, and i saved its life with my hands when it was caught in a ornament accident, i just cant seem to let go of him... But now that i just had some card. Tetras die of ich... I need to get a heater so i just might have to donate to a friend and hope he has a good life

Oh man theres different kinds of slate?! I only saw one... I bought it from Lowes and it was i believe $1.50 per slate square (12"x12") (im sure home depot has also) took it outside, beat with hammer til i liked the sizes, and used aquarium sealant to glue together. Was my first try and i love how it came out, but the sections never stuck together (it breaks down into 3 sections) which i guess is nice because i can always re-stack or rearrange it! The flowerd bed has had no luck because the goldies but now has some elodea in it just to test my bulb strength. Thanks for looking!!
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #66
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

I am actively trying to trade down on my tank...

I would like to replace it with a 20long with eheim 2213 and honestly im trying to get a rack/shelf so i can get (2) 20 longs or maybe another 10...

I just dont like how nothing changes with my 55gal and would be too costly right now to rescape with real plants and get everything setup again

But none of my friends are fish heads and craigslist doesnt seem to be hitting for me

Maybe ill save up and just take down my 55 then til we get a bigger house...

Anyone in Indiana wanna trade
Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #67
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Planning on doing my first water change in the shrimp tank today... Ive done a few top offs but never a water change. Been too nervous. Its been a little over a month :/
Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #68
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Its weird how things happen... The above post.. Was going to do a wc anyway

Got home, flipped the switch and saw tons of particles floating in my water. I dont know how to describe it, besides... Particles. Like tiny tiny white sand just everywhere! It wasnt like that when i left last night. Fearing there would be an ammonia spike or pH collapse (im a newb, who knows?!) or too high of a tds, i did my first water change. About 20%. Water automatically looks better and clearer. (I guess the IAL tinted the water more than i could see)

What happened and why did it happen?
Havent checked params yet, and ordered a tds meter, still waiting for gh/kh test kit in mail...

The particles

FTS after wc, and took my HOB out and replaced with another dual sponge filter (makes 2)

I had each filter hooked up to its own air pump, but one was more powerful and thought there was too much current. So i got nerdy for a noob... I got what i will call a "air tube splitter" so i can use 2 filters, 1 pump. And i also attached some valves that let you choose how strong its pumped. (Will take a pic for other noobs) worked out great! Have them both running but not splashing water all over the place.

As of last feeding day i had 5 berried cherries

And finally a shot of a pond snail hitchhiking on a mystery snail... (Probably going to start a journal just for the shrimp tank and let this one fade away)

Looks like i need to do a little scrubbing from that pic...

Thanks for looking
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #69
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

I must say, its been a couple hours since water change and the skrimps lovvvve me lol. I havent seem them fluttering around this much since i first got them and since the ladies molted. Will start a 10-20% wc weekly now that i know i can handle it lol. Also thinkin of going to the lfs and seeing if they have
1) otos for shrimp tank
2) more corydoras for 55g
Old 08-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #70
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Those white things swimming around look like nematodes to me. I just got rid of them in my shrimp tank. You may be overfeeding. I cut waaaay back on feeding and I havent seen anymore since my last wc. Dont be too nervous about wc's with cherries. They are pretty hardy little dudes.
They are fluttering around "dancing" after a wc? if so, you may find yourself swimming in baby shrimp soon. LOL. Mine do that dance when a female has molted and after a wc they have like a mating frenzy!
Looking good, cant wait for more updates.
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:46 AM   #71
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Hey tank, dunno how i stumbled across this journal read all 5 pages and most say i admire your preserverence. Shrimp tank is filling in nicely. As Chey has pointed out rcs are very hardy and your tank params seem to suit them fine. Dont give up on the 55 if plants is whats making you think of downsizing. Just keep hitting those raok's and also ive found that by posting a wtb with a request for plants saying you can pay X dollars will generate several responses from sellers and usually far more plants then if you just bought outright packages or individuals. Good luck and keep up the nice work!
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #72
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyLillymama22 View Post
Those white things swimming around look like nematodes to me. I just got rid of them in my shrimp tank. You may be overfeeding. I cut waaaay back on feeding and I havent seen anymore since my last wc. Dont be too nervous about wc's with cherries. They are pretty hardy little dudes.
They are fluttering around "dancing" after a wc? if so, you may find yourself swimming in baby shrimp soon. LOL. Mine do that dance when a female has molted and after a wc they have like a mating frenzy!
Looking good, cant wait for more updates.
Nematodes?! In the first picture?? No way, they are more like grains of sand, not moving insects... Its like someone messed with the substrate and particles are floating around (which didnt happen) and also i havent fed the tank in 3-4 days now!!! So this happened after no food for 2~ days. I do think i was over feeding tho, 50~ shrimp being fed everyday. Hope to have tons of baby shrimp soon as i already have 5 berries, so hopefully ill have even more soon hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merth View Post
Hey tank, dunno how i stumbled across this journal read all 5 pages and most say i admire your preserverence. Shrimp tank is filling in nicely. As Chey has pointed out rcs are very hardy and your tank params seem to suit them fine. Dont give up on the 55 if plants is whats making you think of downsizing. Just keep hitting those raok's and also ive found that by posting a wtb with a request for plants saying you can pay X dollars will generate several responses from sellers and usually far more plants then if you just bought outright packages or individuals. Good luck and keep up the nice work!
Thanks merth for the nice comments and advice!! I may just keep the tank and after we move next summer, start it back up as a planted tank (moving cross country) but good idea on the raoks i never even thought about looking for bigger plants ive always looked for small ones for my small tanks!

-------------------------
Oy vey, i had a jumper this morning.

Ive had rcs for over a month and never lost one. Took out that stupid HOB, and that left a gap in the hood. Who cares, these things arent smart. They wont climb or jump out...

Im an idiot. Lol. I dont know if this was a berried female or not, no eggs, no saddle... Maybe its a male (i hope) running around my tank trying to count 5 berried moms. :/. Covered gap with plastic wrap, i dont know what to do here

--------
Edit
--------
Almost certain this was one of the lower grade, adult, berried rcs

Last edited by TankYouVeryMuch; 08-13-2013 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #73
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

It happens I guess, ive been fortunate and havent had any jumpers. My top is open but i dont keep the water level all the way to the top. Good news is they are so prolific they will bounce back and if she was a lower grade saves u from culling later. I know that doesnt help when its one of your pets but there is always a positive
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #74
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Positive is theres a younger berried i found today, hope she doesnt drop them as she is prettty young/small.

The shrimp tanks in my bedroom so if the waters not full the light lights up the whole room (i work 3rd shift and lights must be on while i sleep)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #75
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

Stopped by lfs today after i shipped aome raoks and ended up getting a dozen ghost shrimp (actually 15) for $2.99. Sold as feeder shrimp!! Bahh!! Lol. I also bought 3 chinese algae eaters since i missed my pleco... (Buck each)

These went into 55gal btw lol. Anyway, ever since ive added them, my angel fish has not been seen haha, he is all over the bottom trying to catch a shrimp! (20 of them now, few berried) so i guess they might be feeder shrimp after all