Fallen Tree Branch 60cm - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #76
Jack Gilvey
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Today I finished off the rest of the stand. All I had left was to make covers to conceal all of the equipment. Both sides and the front are quickly removable. They are only held in with magnets, just like some speaker grills. I didn't want doors with hinges, because as you'll see in the picture below, my chair would block the doors and make it inconvenient.

Here is the full stand, new light bars and all:

Words pretty much fail me. The whole build is so awesome.
Jack Gilvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #77
Chronados
Terrible Carpenter

PTrader: (19/100%)

Beautiful, I love the look of the stand and the platform setup with the eggcrate. Do you find you have any strength concerns using acrylic tubing? Or is it mostly a non issue as the Finnex fixtures are so light?
Chronados is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #78
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Thanks for the compliments! I'm still battling some issues with the mold that grew in the brief DSM stage, but I think I've got it under control. It took all of my s. repens and about a 3x4" patch of the UG, but nothing else. The rest of the UG is super healthy, so it'll be easy to steal some as soon as I know the mold is dead in the area where the UG died. I'm still hesitant to say I've beaten it though. I'm not sure if I'll replace the s. repens with the same thing, or try something else like c. parva. The s. repens is very close in green to the UG, so I think that c. parva might look better since it's darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronados View Post
Do you find you have any strength concerns using acrylic tubing? Or is it mostly a non issue as the Finnex fixtures are so light?
I think with much more weight than the Finnex light I have on there, it'd sag some. It was an experiment, and I got lucky. If you wanted something heavier, you could probably compensate with some heavier or larger around acrylic tubing. Mine is 5/8 ID and 7/8 OD (thus 1/8" wall).
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #79
Lowe
Finnex

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love your light and all but I'm not going to lie ...I love your wood work and stand even more.

Lowe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #80
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, the death has subsided. I persevered, and I think I've won.

I don't know what the very faint white cob web looking moldy stuff was, but it sucked the life from every plant that it touched. I'm fairly certain it stemmed from the mold is the beginning, since it was there from day one, but it was evil. I took out 100% of my s. repens. All gone. It took out a pretty good chunk of my UG. Every time I took out a clump of infected UG, I'd come back the next day and it'd be working on the next row. It just wouldn't give up.

I don't know what finally did it, but my final surge was to remove all UG within about 2 inches of the stuff and then dose every area that had been affected by it for about 4 days with very strong isolated daily treatments of H2O2, followed up with the Excel each time. After that I hit it with API erythromycin and API fungus cure (victoria green b and acriflavine). I let that run for 48 hours, and then I hit it with another strong spot treatment of H2O2 and Excel. Then did a 75% water change. I've watched it for 3 days now, and no death, and I don't see it anywhere. I claim victory!

All of the plants that the death has not touched are doing great. I have a little bit of diatoms since it's a new tank, but that's about it.

Where the s. repens died, I just propagated over some hydrocotyle tripartita japan since it grows like crazy. I only had it in one small spot on a stick in the back right corner, so if it looks good here, I'll run with it. For now I'm just going to try it out. In the first pic below you can see the whole middle area where the s. repens died off (where the hydro is growing in the middle now), and then back around and behind the 2 rocks on the right it took all the UG. It also obviously took the huge chunk of UG in the front. I apologize for the dim photo, I had the light pushed back out of the way:

Some good news is that the UG is growing thick and healthy where it didn't get infested, so I was able to propagate it (after the pics were taken) back out to fill in the front again. Here is how good the healthy UG looks just 3 weeks in:

Compare that to when I flooded it 3 weeks ago:

Old 08-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #81
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Man sounds like that white stuff was the plague.

This just makes me want to grow UG in my next tank that much more

Do you think if you were to do the 'moss graffiti' again you would use yogurt? Or would you just use moss with some nutrient rich water? (like water from another tank). The yogurt is just 'food' for the moss right?

I want to try this moss thing but I'm afraid of the white blob.
Psiorian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #82
lamiskool
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Hehe next time you want to trim that UG I call dibs!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #83
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Man sounds like that white stuff was the plague.

This just makes me want to grow UG in my next tank that much more

Do you think if you were to do the 'moss graffiti' again you would use yogurt? Or would you just use moss with some nutrient rich water? (like water from another tank). The yogurt is just 'food' for the moss right?

I want to try this moss thing but I'm afraid of the white blob.
I could be a combination of many things, but I wouldn't try yogurt on wood.

The BEST thing about UG is that it's not buyout! It's so easy to replant because it doesn't just float to the top like HC and many other plants. Every single plug I replanted under water stayed put on my first try. It was seriously a joy to transplant them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
Hehe next time you want to trim that UG I call dibs!!!
Ha! It's easier to grow than I thought. Of course good lights, EI dosing, aquasoil, and CO2 helps.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:52 AM   #84
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Lighting Effects

The Ray 2 is a very white light. I'm seeing excellent growth with it, just look at the UG example from above. It's also very bright, which I don't always love at night when I'm sitting next to it. I like it for the growth, but I'm thinking it'd be fun add a bit more color to it.

I'm in the middle of an arduino dosing pump project, and realized I have a controller, the power supply, and all the parts, and all I needed was a
$13 waterproof RGB LED strip $13 waterproof RGB LED strip
light to play around (price jumped $1 since I bought it).

Below are some examples of what I'm messing with. In conjunction with the Ray 2, they add very noticeable color to the tank for the regular photo period. With red running at 100% and green at 20% and blue at %2, the character of the tank changes and feels warmer. I don't feel like this does it justice, but here is an animated gif swapping between the Ray 2 alone (the cooler image) and the Ray 2 with my RGB light (the warmer image). It's subtle, but really noticeable in the reds and on the wood in person.

Here are 4 images of examples that I plan on programming as part of their daily schedule. The RGB is not bright enough to drive any growth on it's own, so I can run these outside of the Ray 2 without any worries. I can run the RGB lights from 6 am to midnight if I want.

Early Sunset:

Late Red Sunset:

Sun has set, civil twilight:

Moonlight:

I still have to figure out implementation and how to mount it to the Ray 2, plus write all of the code, plus wire up everything professionally, etc... so I have a bit of leg work yet. I can say that I am really happy this "proof of concept" so far.

At night with just these LED's it looks stunning. Very dimly lit, dark shadows, and mysteriously deep.

Seriously... $13, and I can schedule them and program them to do whatever I want.

Last edited by AnotherHobby; 08-02-2013 at 03:23 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #85
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Man just when I am already amazed at this tank you take it up a notch.
Those LED lights are awesome.

What do you use as a controller and to program them?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #86
borgie28
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Seriously let me know when you get the new LEDs all running I'm go name buy a ray 2 for my 55 gallon and I would love to do this same thing! Maybe I'll have to shoot up to the cities and you could help out a fellow hobbyist wire me up with it!
borgie28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #87
SomeCanuck
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Very beautiful work with that LED strip. It changes the mood and feel of the tank immensely with such a small (monetary) investment. Look forward to seeing details about the programming and what not.
SomeCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #88
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Man just when I am already amazed at this tank you take it up a notch.
Those LED lights are awesome.

What do you use as a controller and to program them?
Thanks! I'm using an Adruino Uno as the controller. I'm already working on my dosing pump project, so I had it handy. I got it for $15 of dx.com (slooooow shipping though), along with a prototype shield for $5.50, a DS1307 clock module for $3.50, and a bunch of cheap diodes, resistors, transistors, and voltage regulators. Probably a total of $35-$40 invested in the controller setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgie28 View Post
Seriously let me know when you get the new LEDs all running I'm go name buy a ray 2 for my 55 gallon and I would love to do this same thing! Maybe I'll have to shoot up to the cities and you could help out a fellow hobbyist wire me up with it!
I'll post in here when it's all done. The wiring is super easy. The code is obviously more complicated, but I'll share that when I'm done. It'll be pretty easy to copy what I'm doing, but if you struggle with it I can help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeCanuck View Post
Very beautiful work with that LED strip. It changes the mood and feel of the tank immensely with such a small (monetary) investment. Look forward to seeing details about the programming and what not.
Thanks! The mood change is awesome. We keep our house generally lit very dimly (we don't have kids), and sometimes in the evening after sunset the Ray 2 is like having own personal sun in the room.

I'll probably end up shifting the photo period earlier so I can run these dim lights after the sun goes down. I really think I can run these things on off peak hours with no concern for algae. They are not that bright at all. For reference, in the pictures above I had 4 of the strips running over the tank (so a total of 96" or 8' of LED strip).
Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 AM   #89
AnotherHobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ONE MONTH

Growth is really strong. Very little if any algae so far. Some brief diatoms came in and were gone quickly. And I did officially win the mold war as I had thought.

To be honest, I couldn't be happier with the plant growth. Everything is so healthy right now. The UG literally looks like shag carpet in the areas I didn't have to replant. The center area of UG is thin due to the mold die off, but by looking at the rest of the UG, filling back in shouldn't take long. The only thing working against me with the center replanting of UG right now are my panda corys. They love to root around and keep popping it loose.

Here is how it looks as of tonight (the color is now warmer because I mounted my RGB LED strip lights).

Here are the new arduino controlled RGB LEDs mounted to my Ray 2. I created an aluminum structure to mount the lights to, and then I cut the lower portion of the legs off of the included plastic leg stands, and then mounted my aluminum structure to it. It looks really good. As you can see, I still need to clean up the wiring, but it's mostly done at this point. Best of all, I didn't have to modify my actually Ray 2 light I can slide the RGBs right off since they are mounted to the old legs.

The RGB's are not bright, but they really warm up the light in the tank. I'm currently running 100% on red, 30% on green, and 0% on blue when I run them with the Ray 2. The top pic in this post is not "photoshopped" to look warmer. That's exactly how the color looks now. I'm super happy with it.

One more full tank shot looking up to see the water line:

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 AM   #90
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Looking great. Thinking about going the same route as you with the RBG Led's in my fixture, going to try to back light first but looks great how you did it.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.