Peat causing high phosphate levels?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Kate6790
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Peat causing high phosphate levels?

Hello,

I recently purchased an API phosphate test. I tested my 20 gallon tank and it was well over 10 ppm. I tested the water out of the tap and its almost zero. The tank is miracle grow organic potting soil, capped with sand, a canister filter with peat in it to keep the ph 6.8. The water out of my tap is above 8.0 so I use the peat to keep it lower.

Do you think it's the peat raising the phosphates? Or maybe the soil is leeching some? It's a heavily planted tank with pretty good growth.
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Peat wouldn't cause the phosphate levels you're seeing in your tank, but the MGO may be the source, are you dosing any ferts to the tank?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate6790 View Post
Hello,

I recently purchased an API phosphate test. I tested my 20 gallon tank and it was well over 10 ppm. I tested the water out of the tap and its almost zero. The tank is miracle grow organic potting soil, capped with sand, a canister filter with peat in it to keep the ph 6.8. The water out of my tap is above 8.0 so I use the peat to keep it lower.

Do you think it's the peat raising the phosphates? Or maybe the soil is leeching some? It's a heavily planted tank with pretty good growth.

there are many reasons PO4 levels can go up, excess food, waste or dosing PO4. people who use Aqua soil should find very low levels of PO4 in the water, Aqua soil absorb PO4 very fast. Peat moss should also act in a similar way and should absorb nutrients from the water. you should not dose any PO4 and see if those numbers go down, plant and soil both will uptake the po4. in my high light tank i would dose 0.5ppm PO4 per day and it would be 0 by the end of day, am using aqua soil though.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Read the label on the peat. Some has surfactants added, and some may have fertilizers added.

You can test each thing from the tank in a separate jar, and see if any one thing is adding the phosphate.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Black Pearl
Algae Grower

Miracle Gro has fertilizers. Usually high on nitrates and phosphates. I know, I used Miracle Gro Sphagnum Peat under Flourite as substrate. Phosphate levels were like yours. Over the roof. Used Seachem phosguard to bring it down. Brought down my phosphate level to 0.25 ppm after 2 weeks. Also had problems with cloudy water. Water change would clear it but cloudiness would come back after 2 days. Used purigen to take care of that. Just today, I took out the phosguard from my canister filter as I was getting too low levels of phosphate. Will see how high it gets. Hopefully, the fertilizer has run out and I wouldn't need to place the phosguard back.

Last edited by Black Pearl; 07-31-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: grammar
Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
MichaelKelley
Algae Grower

Peat would not affect the level of phosphate as I have seen many people using the same and it is not affecting there phosphate level.
MichaelKelley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Kate6790
Algae Grower

Okay, I figured it was most likely the miracle grow, but I've never tested phosphates before so I wasn't sure if maybe the new peat did it. I did dose one of my tanks with kh2p04, but I will not be doing that any more now that I know my soil provides plenty. Thanks for the help every one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.