My First Planted Tank (29G)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

My First Planted Tank (29G)

Here is my first attempt at a planted aquarium, I have made a DIY CO2 system, in this photo i have an air stone for the CO2 outlet but have since upgraded to a small glass diffuser, i have a few neon tetras and 5 rasboras swimming around in there. i am using an Aqueon 24" T8 Bulb from PetCo, i put some Zebra Rock in the tank to add some character to it, i am using Black Diamond Sand (Coal Slag?) i didn't want to use regular gravel because i didn't like the look of it, and i head this sand does not compress as bad as pool sand or other sands, the gravel also did not hold my grass down very well, so far i have Dwarf Hair Grass, a bit of Java Moss, and an unidentified plant from a local fish shop, it might die though because i unrolled the foam it was growing in and damaged alot of roots, the plant doesnt show any sign of browning/yellowing yet after 2 days without the foam. im using small doses of API CO2 Plant Booster (I bought it before i discovered the DIY CO2, might as well use it right?) and some weekly API Leaf Zone Aquarium Plant Fertilizer, i am not using any other fertilizers or root tabs, do root tabs just speed up the growth or are they required for growth?

I know my lighting is on the low end at the moment, will it be enough to carpet the Dwarf Hair Grass?

Any suggestions are welcome, Thank You!

This is the latest picture of my tank.

Last edited by Moondoggie; 08-14-2013 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Updated Picture
Moondoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

I added the Glass diffuser and trimmed back half of the DHG, it has been in there for 2 weeks and hasn't done anything that I've seen at all, i purchased the DHG from Pet Smart, i read online somewhere that the DHG from them is cloned (tissue culture propagation) could this unnatural means of producing the plant stop it from "Knowing how to grow?"

I added some Water Sprite and i'm thinking about pulling the unidentified plant from my tank because i don't know what it is and i really like the look of Water Sprite so far.

I Also put in a Brazilian Pennywort, it seems to be doing just fine.

Last edited by Moondoggie; 07-31-2013 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: Edited for update.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

Default Adding some photo updates

Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
FungusTrooper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looking good! Sorry that nobody's replied so far. I haven't gotten any DHG from pet stores so I can't help there, but I can second that water sprite is a neat looking, fast growing plant!

Edit: Also, I've had amazing growth in my 15 tall with just a good bulb (hagen powerglo) and weekly API ferts. So I can say that root tabs are by no means essential, however I do expect they help a lot.

Last edited by FungusTrooper; 07-31-2013 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: Added root tab thing
FungusTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #5
keats
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

The dwarf Hairgrass I purchased from petco was fine and carpeted super fast. You are just really low on light.
keats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
GimmeGills
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

More Corona might help! ;-)
GimmeGills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

What's on the left side of the tank on the wall?
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

DHG is just tough with low light, if it does grow it gets leggy and discolored. Higher lighting would help. I'd personally suggest a dual T5 fixture or anything with a higher wattage and deeper water penetration. Carpets are hard for many folks that have kept planted tanks for years. Shallower tanks can occasionally subsist on T8 for short times or low light focused plants. It looks good and I think you'll find it doing better once you get a better lighting set up. Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
What's on the left side of the tank on the wall?
Ohh that is a java moss wall, or an attempt at it, it seems to be growing out nicely, ill post a pic of it tomorrow or this weekend when i have more time.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemenoi View Post
DHG is just tough with low light, if it does grow it gets leggy and discolored. Higher lighting would help. I'd personally suggest a dual T5 fixture or anything with a higher wattage and deeper water penetration. Carpets are hard for many folks that have kept planted tanks for years. Shallower tanks can occasionally subsist on T8 for short times or low light focused plants. It looks good and I think you'll find it doing better once you get a better lighting set up. Good Luck!

I have looked in to a better lighting system as the one i have is 17 watts... not so great at all, i cant afford much for a good light system and ill have to get one with a good hood, toddlers just love to play "throw things in the air and watch them sink in the fish tank" so i had to get a plastic cover. i have looked in to ordering a $40 dual T5 fixture from home depot and building a wooden cover to mount it in, i just haven't had the time for a big project like that yet(big for an apartment anyway). and i have read that high light promotes algae growth without the proper CO2, will the yeast CO2 be enough to hold it back?

EDIT: i have also considered CFL bulbs http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-E...1#.UfnYF43vtos If i could fabricate a quad bulb fixture i would get some really good wattage and keep the price to a minimum.

Last edited by Moondoggie; 08-01-2013 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: Adding Information
Old 08-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #11
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeGills View Post
More Corona might help! ;-)
Agreed, with enough corona everything is great!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #12
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

cool background
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #13
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Should fill in nicely.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

So i decided to build a new hood and light fixture for my aquarium, i got 4 60W 6500K CFL's for $8 and the Lamp Sockets at Home Depot for $2.50 each, $20 in lumber, two 1x6x6 shelf boards, a 1x4x6 shelf board, and a 1x2x8 furring strip.
1 got a standard light switch and a shallow 1 bay gang box for $3 and a cheap extension cord to cut up and use as a power cord. it all came out to around $45 after taxes for quite a bit of lighting that can be easily upgraded or downgraded with higher wattage bulbs, i need to re do the positioning of the bulbs and turn them sideways and come up with either a good reflector or paint the inside of the hood white, suggestions on this would be appreciated.

The finished hood, one of my boards was warped so there is a gap on the left side of the lid... either a new board or a latch will correct this.

Picture of one of my neon's under the new light, everything is so clear now![/URL]

And after just 4 days i see new growth!

I am starting to see some reality in my goal to have a carpeted tank!
I still need to figure out what ill do for a reflector and what color to stain my hood, i was thinking maybe a satin black.

My lights are about 4.5 inches above the water so they don't get splashed on, does anyone have any idea what par i might have at substrate level? should at least be medium light i would think after i get the reflector set up.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
Moondoggie
Algae Grower

Lightbulb

changed the orientation of my bulbs, they were blocking off too much of the opening to be able to clean the tank. i also put some foil tape on the inside to help reflect light down, still in search of the final reflector..