75g salt to fresh conversion/build. Advice welcomed! - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #46
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (49/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugman View Post
Sort of off topic but why did you put a CA reactor on a reef full of soft corals?
I was wondering the same thing after seeing softies in the tank but sometimes coralline can consume a lot of alkalinty /2 part. Using 2 part can become more expensive than using a calcium reactor in the long run.

Is it a necessary piece of equipment for keeping soft corals? No

but then again in this hobby we sometimes buy equipment that isn't needed.

I have a co2 controller that if you ask me is a piece of equipment that isn't needed but I like to spend money on my hobby, even if sometimes it's a waste.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #47
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I bought it because i was on my way to set it up as a fully dominated SPS reef tank. It was an advanced purchase. I did set it up and toy with it some and it did help me level off my calcium and alkalinity numbers and kept them stable. I didnt feel like it was a waste at the time since what i wanted was a tank full of hard corals. Then I had my funding taken out from under me so i decided to convert to a planted tank than to have no tank at all.

And yes, i also enjoy the bells and whistles the aquatic hobby has to offer.
Snakeblitz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #48
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

I bought some prime tonight and filled the rest of the tank up. I obviously didn't wash the lava rocks well enough cause the tank has a reddish tint to it. But, it's fine for now. Should I use a clarifier and change the filter out?

I turned on the pump and man, it's SOOO quiet! I put some silicone strips all the way around the pump wherever it would touch the glass and there are NO VIBRATIONS!!!! I am so happy with that decision! I haven't been this happy with a pump in a while!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #49
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

SO, does anyone want to help me with a fish list?

Anything eat dead leaves?

Top, middle, bottom dwellers? I like every fish I have to have a purpose...

I have three decent places to buy fish at that I trust... but they don't have specialty stuff like I see mentioned around here. I'd rather not buy fish online.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:00 AM   #50
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

Took a pic of the tank after I got it filled. As you can see, it's a little cloudy. It's hard to take pics of tanks with LEDs.

I like the new sump configuration. Looks like a lot of places for bacteria to build up.

How long should I wait before adding fish?
Old 08-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #51
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

Everything looked good this morning. I might go buy a few fish today to get started. Maybe a plant or two. Who knows. I found an aquarium plants good for IDing plants. I might get it.

I found a worm in the tank swimming around. Probably came from the dirt in the tank? I dunno. Is it common for a new tank to have parasitic worms?
Old 08-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #52
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

My ac broke down for the fourth time this Summer. My ten gallon reef melted down. Everything is dead. This 75g planted tank is doing pretty well though. No yellowing or whatever. I hope that my ac gets fixed very soon. Im pissed at my landlord for not properly fixing it the first time. My electric bill has been $300 a month lately because of the air conditioner. Its 90+ in my house right now. I hate to work outside half the day and come home to a hot house.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #53
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

So, I went by the fish store and got a small batch of fish to put in the 75g today. I figure that I willhave a few fish for the time being while I am saving up some money for an online plant order. I figure if I save $20 a week I can buy a batch of plants at the end of this month.

I added a water clarifier this evening as well so that the dust can start settling. I will change the filter out in the morning. At the fish store they have these faucet adapter things for $15 that have no hoses or anything on them - you have to buy the hose yourself. I think that's a pretty good investment, and will look nicer than me trying to rig up some PVC. I also have a gravel vac attachment that I can already use on the system. So, by next weekend I should be able to do a water change on the system.

A little at a time goes a long way. I have realized that fast and hard gets you nowhere in the aquatic hobbies.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #54
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

The water is really cloudy. Anything i can do about that? Im thinking about doubling or trippling the filter and doing a water change and adding a water clarifier if it needs it. Suggestions welcome!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #55
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

I added a few more fish. I bought another nice looking plant. I added glass tops to the tank. Im having a custom piece of glass cut for the sump. So far it has gone a werk without topping off. Im happy about that. I added a pleco. I know that is frowed upon, but thats the only algae eater and detrivore that i have found locally.

How do yall clean up old dead plants, roots and stuff out of the tank? With the nozzle on the thing when you are doing a water change?

How long should i be running my leds per day? Should i be dimming them or lettig it run as high as possible?

So far so good. I like the progress and im enjoying the hobby. Having a bunch of little fish schooling around the tank looks really nice.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM   #56
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

What's up with the cloudy water?

My city water is brown...
Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 AM   #57
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

Is anyone interested in me continuing this build thread?

I switched out the filter tonight with a fresh one. So far only four fish deaths that I can count. I'll be buying a few new ones this weekend. I'll also try to get the nozzle attachment thing for the sink as well. Every weekend I'll be getting a couple more fish and another plant or two. Taking the build pretty easy as I go.

A lot going on in my life right now.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #58
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

Some algae starting to develop. Little patches here and there. I guess i need to add a lot more plants. Im not goin to turn on any co2 until i can decrease my algae bloom.

I gotta do a water change soon i guess. I assume that if the water is a bit murkey, the light isnt penetrating the water properly.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #59
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

wouldn't turning on the co2 help combat the algae bloom though? I haven't read this thread through all the way, so idk what you've tried to clear up that water.

Try either an extended black out, or the one two punch.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #60
Snakeblitz33
Algae Grower

I really dont know. Lol. Im adding a couple plants a week which is all i can really afford at the moment. Im using RODI water to top thr tank off with. Im guessing like most tanks, mine will also go through an algae stage while it grows in?