captain nemo prices
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Pennsylvania

Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

captain nemo prices

Has anyone noticed the pricing at Nemo's is outrageous for fish?

They've got congo tetra there for $14.99/e while petsmart has them for $3.49/e

I was also interested in some of their synodontis, but they're all $40/e where online i'm seeing them for ~$20.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

That sort of thing has been going on forever. It's also why there are few LFSs remaining in the area. Prices just way too high for what you get.

About all you can do is vote with you purchases, and buy from another source.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
briscoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have most definitely noticed. Every once in awhile you'll find something for a good price there. But for the most part, all of their stock is just too expensive. They sell cherry shrimp for something like $5 or $6 a piece. Same for their plants too.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, until the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
briscoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
robxc80
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

25% off on Saturdays. Also, most local LFS don't have the selection they do.
robxc80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

Yes- its tough. I believe in supporting ALL family owned businesses- especially those that give back to the community thru donations to youth organizations.
It's a balancing act between finding value and supporting a business. If we keep buying everything online, there wont be any brick and mortar stores around to sell things that don't ship well (like frozen food)......But I don't like being gouged or making up for incompetence....I try and buy what I can from LFS but also buy online when it makes sense
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #6
longgonedaddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

I don't know the quality of the livestock there, can only make an assumption, but I know the poor quality at the chains I've been to, and I'd rather pay extra for genetically and physically healthy fish than any disocunt for inbred, sick fish.

Of course, if nemo's has inferior stock as well, then please disregard me!
longgonedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Aheartlessfish

the original owner passed away i believe...new owner ^^. they had great selection way back when it first opened
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #8
robxc80
Planted Member

get to know the guys there. Scott, the manager, has been good to me. Prices are high...but if you're loyal, they work with you.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yeah, their prices are high but they also had the best selection of plants within an hour of me, AND I can go there and ask questions and get intelligent answers.

I moved out of the area but stopped there on the way home to pick up some plants a week ago. The guy there, who I've worked with before, was very knowledgeable about their plant selection and helped tremendously in planting my tank.

I wouldn't go there for everything (their products are outrageously priced) but when I'm looking to stock a tank, i know I can get knowledgeable help there. At least in my experience.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robxc80 View Post
25% off on Saturdays. Also, most local LFS don't have the selection they do.
25% off ridiculous prices are still ridiculous prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife_hobbyist View Post
Yes- its tough. I believe in supporting ALL family owned businesses- especially those that give back to the community thru donations to youth organizations.
It's a balancing act between finding value and supporting a business. If we keep buying everything online, there wont be any brick and mortar stores around to sell things that don't ship well (like frozen food)......But I don't like being gouged or making up for incompetence....I try and buy what I can from LFS but also buy online when it makes sense
I don't think "nemo's" is family owned any more, but Pets Plus owns them, and renamed it Natural Pets by Pets Plus, or something like that. I'd much rather purchase locally. at the very least I get to see what i'm buying exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
I don't know the quality of the livestock there, can only make an assumption, but I know the poor quality at the chains I've been to, and I'd rather pay extra for genetically and physically healthy fish than any disocunt for inbred, sick fish.

Of course, if nemo's has inferior stock as well, then please disregard me!
the livestock seem fine to me. but so did the lone congo at petsmart. I've no issue paying extra for quality, but 4x is too much. if they were 5-6/e I would've purchased 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robxc80 View Post
get to know the guys there. Scott, the manager, has been good to me. Prices are high...but if you're loyal, they work with you.
I used to shop there all the time when it was Nemo's. I spent a lot of cash there, at least for me... hundreds and hundreds. I doubt that matters much now since it's been a few years and they're a different group.

I've no doubt the quality of the employees. I spoke to one person regarding my tank and synodontis, and he seemed very knowledgeable. but that has nothing to do with the obscene pricing. they're still in business and seem to be doing well, so more power to them for getting those prices. no hate here...
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
eaking
Algae Grower

I was just at Nemo's over the weekend very helpful I think. I'm very new and can be somewhat nieve. There is a store in Lancaster called That Pet Place. The fish department is about the size of a Petsmart. Huge selection decent pricing but for me its about a 90 min ride... not so local but if a few ppl go it makes it worth it!
eaking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #12
Aheartlessfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Aheartlessfish

my theory is, sell your fish cheaper, get more customers and in return they buy more products on the shelves, get rid of your stock faster than having them die one by one each day...maybe i have the wrong idea of business haha.
Aheartlessfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I stop at Nemos a few times a month sometimes 2 times a week. They always get some oddball stock that no one else gets. I only live 5 minutes away so its on my way home from work. That pet place and the Aquarium center in Jersey have great selections but does the gas money outweigh the savings?
Psycofc1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
robxc80
Planted Member

Again. To each their own. Jim, the Cichlid guy is awesome. Scott is a great guy...

They work with you. They have to know that you're a serious customer. I never over pay for anything there and I get deals on tanks that nobody can even get close to matching.

ALso, they have a good number of Cichlid guys that regularly trade there so if you're into cichlids, they got some good stuff.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
druknmonkey

I've given up locally. I'm in the Lehigh Valley and there is seriously 2 good Aquarium shops any more and 1 is exclusively Salt and the other is fairly small. I work anywhere from Reading to Philadelphia and i'm always looking for shops anywhere i am. They are all horrible. The smaller shops that used to be decent are trying to do more Salt, Corals, etc., and it's taken away most of the fresh inventory. I stopped at Nemo's already and it is a beautiful shop and has most everything you could want but it is ALL terribly overpriced. I think they take advantage of people like my wife who are impatient and want things immediately. I have taken trips to ThatPetPlace as well and i love it. Very good prices and AMAZING selection, just wish it was closer.
druknmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.