Aluka's Aquarium Rack - Update 8/1/13 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

I'd go with the second one, as it will be easier to get down inside the tank when necessary with nets and such. Also makes it easier for light to penetrate to the substrate.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #17
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

well, all done with the 2 gallon.

To moss or not to moss? I have some willow moss from a 2.5 i am going to take down, should i tie it to the driftwood or no?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1580[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	169521  

aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
GreenBliss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think it looks great as is.
2g (Snails)
11.4g (new home soon for the Pumpkin Neos)
GreenBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

Since you have a great piece of wood, it will look terrific as it ages without anything attached to it.

If you ever have leftover Fissidens or something, little patches of it could look cool. Looks perfect as it is, though.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 AM   #20
aluka
Wannabe Guru

So heres an update!

I got the rack up and mostly running =).

Even with about 2 inches of water, it was VERY HEAVY!!! I think i might have distrubed the substrate, cause i losted 2 pfr and 1 crs the day after the move =(. They probably ate a few toxic bubbles.

I am probably going to move my pumpkins in the 2 gallon cube, once it finishes cycling. It shouldn't take to long. I had all my extra filters running in my betta sorority the last few weeks, lol.

I'm lighting all the levels with a florescence tube, with the exception of the crs and the cube. I brought a solarflare goose neck led, for the cube, but because of the way the driftwood is, either the stems behind the driftwood gets shaded or part of the foreground gets shades. So i am just using a desklight for now, until i find something better. Tho i am liking it alot.

I am using the http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2031243...80&R=203124380 fixture from homedepot f. Its pretty great and very easy to install and put together. There is a two bulb version, but my tanks are all so small, i think 2 bulb might be too intense. OH it even comes with a 6500k bulb =D!

The top shelve where i have the opae ulae jars, i'm using a pink grow light someone help me buy a while ago. Its a bit werid cause the color is different, so i might switch it back to the 6500k. BUT i enjoy how it accentuates the red in my opaes.

I only had time to set up one of the 2.5 gallon, when i put the rack together last week. But seems to be cycled, of course its using old substrate, plants, filter and water.

I took apart my no tech cherry/pfr to put in the rack, because that tanks's footprint doesn't fit, so i moved them to the newly cycled 2.5 gallon. I kind of regret it. That tank apparently was doing much better than i thought it was. It was a jungle, i can barely see the shrimps unless its feeding time. I thought there was about 100 in that 2.5 gallon tank, since there was no filter i figure moving them would be a good thing to do.

I ended up moving over 300 shrimps. O.o Most of them under 1/2 inches tho. But the population expolded!

I really need to set up the other tanks so they can cycle too, and so my bettas don't have to tons of sponge filters in them, lol

OH OH heres my favorite snail! lol I think he is only a pond snail, but he hitchhiked from something and he is the only one there! he has gotten so big and he never lays eggs =D. He is absolutely lovely when he crawls around =D.

Okay i need to set up at least one more 2.5 so i can start cycling it =<.

Any opinions?!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1592[1].jpg
Views:	20
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	173497  

Old 07-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #21
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

Golden pond snail? I think it depends on the way the shell twist. Awesome set up. I totally wanna copy you except I want two shelves for emersed. Subscribing to this thread
Old 07-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #22
I<3<*))))><
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to I<3<*))))><

Wow, this is looking great Aluka! Def inspiring, can NOT wait to get my own rack up & going!
Stephanie - RAOK Club #130
FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
I<3<*))))>< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #23
aluka
Wannabe Guru

thanks =)
Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

How's the little cube doing?

I'm toying with filling an extra cube I've got with Hair Grass and am looking forward to seeing how yours grows in.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 AM   #25
aluka
Wannabe Guru

its doing pretty good, the yellow leaves (from shipping) has died off so its looking a lot more green and lush, but the roots are not completely settled yet. Not much new growth but i think its just trying to establish growth right now.

i love dgh belem, lol =)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1639[1].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	178201  

Old 07-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #26
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

I love that little cube tank. Where did that piece of wood in it come from?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
hambone870
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluka View Post
well, all done with the 2 gallon.

To moss or not to moss? I have some willow moss from a 2.5 i am going to take down, should i tie it to the driftwood or no?
that wood is awesome without moss, i like it as is

[Hambone's House]

[Culture Club]
hambone870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #28
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
I love that little cube tank. Where did that piece of wood in it come from?
I think my parents went on vacation and brought it back for me as a present (yes, I'm that obsessed that aquarium things is what people gives me as gifts)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Interesting thread... following
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 AM   #30
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Update: 8/1

My opae ulae are berried!!!! Which is super surprising since i have been extremely busy lately and completely neglected them. I haven't topped off their water in weeks and haven't fed them in at least a month or two =<.... its also covered in algae, lol.... The bowl is too tall to fit in where i planned it to go, so i was force to put on the top shelf.

I am 4 11, sooooo i can't reach it =(..... i need to... move it to another spot.

Good news is, my friend julianzh gave me some algae powder to feed them =D! (cause they seem to never touch my other shrimp food), so we'll try that! (thanks zizi =D)

anyways, i have finished the other 2 2.5 gallon. one is in dry start with rocks from h4n, and fissiden on them =). I am thinking of putting a carpet plant in front of it. What foreground plant would you guys suggest? I will likely move the rocks further into the back corner to have a better slope and a bigger foreground, but i will let the fissiden take roots. any opinions?

So far i have 4 2.5 gallons set up, 1 with chrismass moss, 1 with willow, 1 with fissiden, 1 with mini christmas. They are filtered by a sponge filtered connected to one air pump with a 5 split manifold. Its a tetra whisper air pump. It is surprisingly quiet, i actually can't even hear it over the bubbles.

I will try to take pictures of the other tanks once i remove the plants i have placed there temporary. My other 10 gallon crashed when i spilled my diy co2 solution into the water =<..... slime covered EVERYTHING and suffocated most of my plants in 2 days, killed my one and only male lime pure endler =(!!!!!!!!!! ( i am hoping one of my 6 females are pregnant and will give me a male or two! wish me luck!)

Also, my blue diamonds from speedie has arrived! =) they are currently in the breeder net in my crs tank. I am going to move them into one of the 2.5 gallons soon. The one i want them in is already cycled, but nitrate is really high. So i plan on doing a few water changes over the next week to lower it before dripping them over. Sadly, i brought 11, only 10 arrived. I guess it must have died in transit and got eaten. Then over night i lost 3 of them =/. Its been over a week now, and they are active and eating well. So there is hope for them!

My oebtxcrs also hatched sometime last week! They are in my cube right now. They have orange eyes and have the crs s grade tiger tooth pattern and colors of a normal tiger. I have removed the mommy and daddy. So when they get to adult, they will cross with each other.

Wish i can fit bigger tanks in there, but this thing is in my room, soooo this will have to do!

Oh should i switch the top light back to a regular 6500k? instead of the pink grow light?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1679.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	184657  

Name:	IMG_1677.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	184665