Hydra & other critters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Hydra & other critters

So i've been pointed out weeks ago i have hydra, and other critters in my 20g shrimp tank. I have a little colony of pumpkin neo's, and 6 amano shrimp in it for months now. My pumpkin #'s have declined, and baby shrimp rates are very low for a bit now. I'd like to resolve this without losing anymore shrimp, and salvage the plants.

I've read the paragaurd method, goat dewormer method. What would you do, what else would you do, is there a natural way or doing this, what can i dip the plants in?

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

I would go with dog dewormer. The tank looks nice bty.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Lucubration
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

In my 37g shrimp tank (with all of 5 RCS and 3 snails in it...) I've been dosing 0.1g of "fish fenbendazole" during water changes every week, then doing partial water changes to thin it out during the week.

No harmful effects to the shrimp that I can tell, including one baby, and after it's sat for a while the hydra and other critters I can see mostly seem to shrivel up and die. I'll probably keep dosing for the next couple of water changes to see if it won't get the last few nematodes and maybe that little thing that I think might be a scud.
Lucubration is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

I used a tiny bit of dog de wormer in an empty tea bag and floated it in my hob. Hydra free within 24 hrs and 0 deaths even with oebts.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
The tank looks nice btw.
Thank you. It was much thicker in growths, but i've been removing plants, and giving plants away as i'm trying to re-vision placement, and add more plant species. This tank has definitely evolved over the months. I think the grape-wood really helps the look of it. It's my first, and only shrimp tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucubration View Post
In my 37g shrimp tank (with all of 5 RCS and 3 snails in it...) I've been dosing 0.1g of "fish fenbendazole" during water changes every week, then doing partial water changes to thin it out during the week.

No harmful effects to the shrimp that I can tell, including one baby, and after it's sat for a while the hydra and other critters I can see mostly seem to shrivel up and die. I'll probably keep dosing for the next couple of water changes to see if it won't get the last few nematodes and maybe that little thing that I think might be a scud.
I've heard of it for planeria issues being applied that way, but also heard to use it for hydra they need to be targeted individually for it to work. I will look into it though, but i want to move fast on it, and work fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0live View Post
I used a tiny bit of dog de wormer in an empty tea bag and floated it in my hob. Hydra free within 24 hrs and 0 deaths even with oebts.
Yeah i was leaning towards that, but some people have had deaths, and thats become worrisome. The last thing i want to do is re-start my pumpkin colony taking worse case scenario into account, but i am considering it strongly.

================================================== ================================================== =============================

Another option i was thinking of doing was putting all the shrimp in a bare bottom tank with all new water, a filter from a tank that has never had plants in it. Draining all the water from the shrimp tank, removing all the substrate, and let it air out in the sun for a week, and dipping all the plants, and putting them in buckets of new water for a week as well outside in the sun with daily 50% water changes to keep the temps within range, but if i did that or in the future want to dip plants for these problems what would be a good guaranteed dip for plants.

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 07-30-2013 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: ...
CrypticLifeStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Well if you are going to do that why not remove the shrimps as you planned and do the dewormer treatment and then do a few big water change for a week add carbon to remove the Meds, add the shrimps back?
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

I'm not a big fan of creating chemistry experiments in my tanks or adding chems period. I dont even use ferts :-/ . I like organic/natural approaches. It's being at ease about it that is my biggest obstacle on doing it with dewormer. I think also if i'm to catch all the shrimp i'm going to have to remove the plants anyways cause those pumpkins hide like champs in growth like that. I dont mind the work load, i enjoy it, but for the future i still want a dip.

I'm just going to abosrb all the advice given, and weigh out the pro's, and cons and either get on it tonight if i can get a dip tonight or soon after i just dont know what dip will work, or do i/should use the dewormer as a 24/48 hour dip in buckets. I need to pick up a 10g today too, i have no spare small tanks lol. Smallest one i have on location not being used is a 55g lol
Old 07-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

The organic/natural approach would be to leave them be. They're common fresh water.

:\

I also forgot to mention that tank I treated is a 7.5 gal cube.
0live is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

I have used the fenbendazole (.1g per 10gal) on both Neo and Caridiana tanks and never seen any losses in the couple dozen tanks I have dosed it in. It does work on Planaria but I have primarily used it in the past specifically to get rid of the hydra and you don't need to "spot" treat them, dosing the tank is sufficient.

I have heard nerite snails are sensitive to the dewormer but non of my shrimp have been.

Spinxi snails will eat hydra if you are looking for a "natural" solution (actually fun watch them do it too).

I don't think a dip would be a good solution because you would still have hydra on the rocks or glass or something else that you don't end up removing and would need to treat again in a week-month when they are back.
oblongshrimp is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
steakman
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)

I used fenbendazole (for puppy lower dose at Petsmart or Petco, a box costs $13.00 to $14.00) to treat hydra, and it works very well without any OEBT shrimps or Malaysian Trumpet snails dead.

- I divided 1 bag into 5 portions to treat 20 gallon tank.

- 1 portion/dose

- After the 1st dose, I skipped 1 day, but I could see hydras went limped after 30 minutes. The next day, they all looked dead (shredded threats).

- I treated only 2 doses, and that's it. I haven't seen 1 since.

Good luck.
steakman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

Ok i'm going to try the de-wormer method, and not remove anything. Going to pick up Safe Gaurd 4, its $13-.

Problem #2: All of the plants in this tank are bits, and piece's from my other tanks, tanks that are stocked with geophagus cichlids, and other south american freshwater species fish. I tend to move plants around tank to tank, and re-arrange the aquascapes pending growth, and just for the hell of it.

That being said in the long run all the plants i own, and tanks i own will need to be treated if i'm to completely stop this infestation, and any further purchases of plants will need to be qt'd in some form or another. So with these other plants, and future plants i should qt them in buckets with the de-wormer or has anyone risked this stuff with fish?

I'll share my success or failure in 24-48 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0live View Post
The organic/natural approach would be to leave them be. They're common fresh water.
Not dog de-wormer, nothing natural about that :p
Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Ok i'm going to try the de-wormer method, and not remove anything. Going to pick up Safe Gaurd 4, its $13-.

Problem #2: All of the plants in this tank are bits, and piece's from my other tanks, tanks that are stocked with geophagus cichlids, and other south american freshwater species fish. I tend to move plants around tank to tank, and re-arrange the aquascapes pending growth, and just for the hell of it.

That being said in the long run all the plants i own, and tanks i own will need to be treated if i'm to completely stop this infestation, and any further purchases of plants will need to be qt'd in some form or another. So with these other plants, and future plants i should qt them in buckets with the de-wormer or has anyone risked this stuff with fish?

I'll share my success or failure in 24-48 hours

Not dog de-wormer, nothing natural about that :p
Dip your plants in a potassium permanganate solution. Works great for disinfecting plants of any hitchhikers.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #13
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

Any idea where i could pick that up locally?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Any idea where i could pick that up locally?
You may be able to obtain it at the hardware store, where it is sometimes found as a water softener recharger (for those that remove iron from the water).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You may be able to obtain it at the hardware store, where it is sometimes found as a water softener recharger (for those that remove iron from the water).
Ok, thank you. Luckily another forum member read this that i know, and lives real close has 4lbs. of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.