120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137 - Page 128
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #1906
stonevs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

What kind of substrate do you have?
stonevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #1907
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonevs View Post
What kind of substrate do you have?
ADA aqua soil.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #1908
Rion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Tom, just wondering, is this thread the most popular in TPT history?
This is the 3rd most viewed thread on TPT. But probably the most popular thread that's still running.

Tom, have you had problems with your substrate breaking down or it lacking nutrients with it running for so long? I don't remember if you've replaced any or what you use for a root fertilizer.
Canon Pimp Club #032
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #1909
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rion View Post
This is the 3rd most viewed thread on TPT. But probably the most popular thread that's still running.

Tom, have you had problems with your substrate breaking down or it lacking nutrients with it running for so long? I don't remember if you've replaced any or what you use for a root fertilizer.
No and no.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #1910
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Made some changes, like about 1 hour ago.
Water is still pretty cloudy after the rework.
Added some different wood slats to border the plant groups.

Added the red pantanal weed back, at least for now till I figure what else to do with it or find a new plant to take it's place.

The wood, I'm much happier with. the MC really got going and was over takign the front, so I sold most of it and replanted the new sprigs and it a month or so, I'll have a nice lawn again.
Repositioned Erios.

You can see the difference in the Downoi from a couple of weeks ago, lots of new growth.
Removed the Ech. agustafolia variety vesuvius.

Tank is pretty close to where I'd like it to be once a few of the groups grow back in, UG, MC, some of the back ground plants. I might add some more Mini pellia on wood here and there.
I can alwlays swap the mini reineckii for the R macrandra also.

The new pink ovalis Ludwigia is a nicer plant than the old Ludwigia red. It grows slower and denser than the red type. Not really pink however.
I may add the pennywort in the Right front corner or a mini Riccia or something.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #1911
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Oh yea, I forgot to mention this:

Scaping, this is reverse from nature style actually.

I chose the plants.............. then added and changed the hard scape to suit the plant species I wanted.
Most tanks and nature style does the hardscape 1st, then chooses the plant species afterwards to accent the hardscape.
They might chose a foreground type plant, but the species is often not always known.

If you chose the plant species 1st, then I think this would be closer to the dutch style and approach., which is to highlight the plant species that interest you.
To a lesser degree, the hardscape. It's a different emphasis and approach.

However, the wood and positioning is far far from a simplistic thing. You can go very simple in either case, or go to the really sophisticated.
Still takes a lot of work and thought to make it look good in both areas. One is not superior to the other, they just have different areas/goals/emphasis.
It's also a long term garden for me, many of the REAL Japanese landscape gardens are old, very very old..............they are not these short lived tanks many scapers often do for 6-18 month time frames.
If you cannot maintain the garden indefinitely.................without breaking the tank down, then you are not really focused on Japanese gardening. There is a very strong emphasis on long term care. Imagine if these tanks were bonsai trees?
These gardens also require a lot of manual care, no whining about water changes and cleaning the tank/filters on a very regular basis. You put in a lot, but....you get a lot out, regardless of the style.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #1912
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (126/100%)

Lookin great...this is my favorite look so far... whats the difference between red pantanal and pantanal
Old 08-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #1913
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Some plants need to grow out some more yet, and then a clean tank for 2-3 days without me making a mess.

The Erios I got from you have fattened up quite well.

The UG is on the march and the MC will grow into a nicer thinner lawn in about 1 month or thereabouts. Some of the back ground plants will climb up and then the Tonina will get another trim along with the red pantanl/Red mac.

Most other things will be pretty stable otherwise.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #1914
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

yo tom, you use RO in that tank? Or any of your tanks? What yours

PH
KH
GH

Any idea what determine leaf size? I'm getting different size leaf within the same tank, no idea what happening. How does a person get compact growth, shorter internode and uniform shape.

Also, I see you have some plants that like soft water, how do you keep both soft and hard water plants happy in the same tank?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #1915
pandacory
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I really like how this tank continues to evolve, but seems to have a kind of core character that always shines through.

It's like watching someone grow up.

I have been keeping a spreadsheet with notes from this tank for use when I am ready to try my hand at an intensive gardening effort. I really hope all of the interesting species that you have cycled through here will continue to be available in The Planted Tank community.

I don't see it in my notes anywhere, but what are your thoughts on flow? is there a turnover rate, or plant movement that you target? The pics seem to stand perfectly erect as if it is very calm.
pandacory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #1916
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Tom,

Would you please post detailed pics of your overflow and tell us how you implemented the beananimal design in the tank?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #1917
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
yo tom, you use RO in that tank? Or any of your tanks? What yours

PH
KH
GH

Any idea what determine leaf size? I'm getting different size leaf within the same tank, no idea what happening. How does a person get compact growth, shorter internode and uniform shape.

Also, I see you have some plants that like soft water, how do you keep both soft and hard water plants happy in the same tank?
I virtually never use RO and just deal with whatever tap I have, that said, I have awesome tap where I now live, but I've lived in many places with a wide range of tap.

pH- sort of depends, I use CO2 after all.
KH is about 18-20 ppm to maybe 35-38 ppm depending on the season.
GH is about 2, I add about 1 table spoon or so per 90 Gal of GH booster.
There is no such thing as a hardwater preference for planted tanks, this is a myth.

There's a few that are demanding more of lower KH's, but only a few, mostly Rotala, s and Ludwigias, maybe a a few others, but not that many. CO2, not soft or hard, that's what the plants are after generally.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #1918
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandacory View Post
I really like how this tank continues to evolve, but seems to have a kind of core character that always shines through.

It's like watching someone grow up.

I have been keeping a spreadsheet with notes from this tank for use when I am ready to try my hand at an intensive gardening effort. I really hope all of the interesting species that you have cycled through here will continue to be available in The Planted Tank community.

I don't see it in my notes anywhere, but what are your thoughts on flow? is there a turnover rate, or plant movement that you target? The pics seem to stand perfectly erect as if it is very calm.
Flow is a pesky thing.

It can lead to hair algae with no changes to th water quality, but as plants grow and alter current, this can lead to issues.

But, I uproot and mess around in this tank, replant often etc, so that plays some role in any algae, these are minor issues and easily corrected, but noted. I just do a water change after to avoid any of that. When I do not, or let things go too long, only then does algae let me know.

Some tanks are more resistant, but I do not uproot and the stems do not block the flow in such a shallow tank, it's only 18" tall, so 4-6" of growth really changes things.

I use a wide mouth 1" elbow.

I'll switch soon to a modular glass ware idea/design I have planned.
Easy to clean and add to any existing system.

You want much like reefs, high low pressure flow, not a high pressure blast.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #1919
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Tom,

Would you please post detailed pics of your overflow and tell us how you implemented the beananimal design in the tank?

Thanks,
Phil
I added another stand pipe and bulk head and drain pipe into the sump.
Drilled and did it in about 25 minutes.

One standpipe is about 3/4" tall than the other, I use 1" strainers and then a prefilter sponge on them.

I could have added a 3rd overflow and pipe to the sump as well, but no need, since the 1# pipe is full bore flow, then the 2# pipe is barely trickling. so 2# acts as the emergency overflow. I do not need ball or gate valves to adjust the flow this way. This works if the 1# pipe alone is close to your full flow for the return pump. I size the return pumps accordingly rather than ball valving them and reducing their flow. I do not like to waste the energy and flow.

Simplifies things also.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #1920
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

I'll make a few tweaks with the wood in the front area, but not much.

I always have a lot of nice manzy laying around as I sell and the stock list changes, so I nab a piece here or there and see if I can work in a really nice or cool piece.

This most often DOES NOT WORK, ironically, the smaller plain pieces work the best.