New member and his 7,8gallons
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
bonsaitree
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New member and his 7,8gallons

Hello!

I'm new here and I wanted to show you my tank and ask questions.

This is my 7,8 gallons tank from fluval. I started it in october 2012 as a ''high tech'' tank with 2X13W lamps, co2 injected, 8hours of photoperiod, Potassium, trace and iron ferts added everyday. But I think it was unbalanced and too much. I had lots of trouble with hair algea and later, I introduced by mistake (I still don't know how) some cyanobacteria that took over my tank. If cyano wasn't enough, my co2 system (fluval 88g) system broke so I shut one of my 2 lamps, stopped completely fertilizing and did the couple of black outs to get rid of my algea problems. It worked but now my tank is low tech and almost algea fee for 3 months now. Here some pictures I took 1 month ago (there was still a bit of hair algea but now there's none and I cleaned my glass pipes I know they are filthy):

I'm using a eheim 2211 canister filter, ADA amazonia II substrate and a fluval 75 W water heater. There are only 2 amano shrimps in there and a hroned snail.

Plants are eleocharis parvula on the front, pogostemon helferi on the side and rotala marcrandra in the back.

Yesterday I bought a bottle of excel and restarded fertilizing. I follow as mentionned behind the bottle of excel and I'm really gentle on ferts (only once a week for now). The tank is so clean I'm scared of doing anything but my rotala marcrandras are bending (not enough ferts maybe? They are still bright red though).

What do you think I should do?

And I removed my cabomba coraliniana because I didn't like the effect. It broke the sense of scale. If you have any suggestions for a nice background plant I"d be glad to hear it.
bonsaitree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
plecostomouse
Planted Tank Obsessed

first off, the tank looks pretty nice

so atm are you just using excel as a Co2 source?
can you tell if the Macranda has any dificiancies?

sunsun pimp #62

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tranq...2603914?ref=hl
plecostomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
bonsaitree
Algae Grower

Thanks!
Yes, only excel for now. For the marcrandras they've been ok for a while, regular pruning until one time I pruned them and they started to bend. Would it be caused by the heat? It started bending at the same time the heat wave came in (for 2 weeks now) it's 30degCelcius+ (86F) during the day. So the water tends to get up to 28celcius (82F). My water heater is set at 24celcius.
bonsaitree is offline   Reply With Quote