90g Shoreline - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #31
BHolmes
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Four months into my first planted tank and things have been amazing. Ever since I switched to a dirt substrate the plants have exploded. I recently added Eleocharis parvula and Cryptocoryne wendtii green from petsmart. Its been a week and there's zero melt. They look very healthy and I almost have zero room to plant now. The breeding net in the middle is an African dwarf frog hangout. My daughters wanted frogs for the tank so I set up a "treehouse" with feeding dish, fissidens, and riccia. They sing and mate at night so we should have some eggs soon. Here's an updated fts:

The fry in the qt have been growing fast now. There are eight total that have hatched. Most of them are now developing fins and swimming all over the tank. Four more mayfly larvae have hatched too:

Anyone have a suggestion for a vibrant red stem to plant in the circled area? I think an addition like that would really look good:

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 AM   #32
trailsnale
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

never get tired of rainbows, nice tank!
trailsnale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Alternanthera reineckii would be perfect
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 PM   #34
Phil Edwards
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Rotala macrandra would be nice there. The color and texture would both be a good contrast.
Phil Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #35
du3ce
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

ludwigia red or rotala mini butterfly
du3ce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #36
BHolmes
Planted Member

Quote:
never get tired of rainbows, nice tank!
Thank you! I might add another ten bows to this tank at the max. They're very fun to watch as they flash colors and mate. Food gets expensive though because these guys are big eaters. Once these new fry grow out I'm going to start breeding a different group every four months in qt.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #37
BHolmes
Planted Member

Quote:
Alternanthera reineckii would be perfect
Quote:
Rotala macrandra would be nice there. The color and texture would both be a good contrast.
Quote:
ludwigia red or rotala mini butterfly
Awesome suggestions. I looked over some pictures this morning of each and I think I'm going to plant some rotala macrandra red. I really like the bold, bright, and detailed leaves. This plant will definitely make a bold focal point in the tank.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #38
sanj
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice Rainbowfish tank, I love the Kamakas, they are one of my favourate bows.
sanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #39
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Love the tank. Great job.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #40
Allistor
Algae Grower

I love your tank! I have a question though. I've heard a lot of talk about rainbowfish inbreeding. Do you have any problems with your rainbows inbreeding? If so, how do you deal with it? I'm a big fan of rainbows and would like to start an all-rainbow community.
Allistor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 AM   #41
BHolmes
Planted Member

Quote:
Nice Rainbowfish tank, I love the Kamakas, they are one of my favourate bows.
Thank you Sanj! That means a lot. Your tanks are a huge inspiration! I really want to purchase more Kamakas. Every month they shine more and more. How are your tanks progressing?

Quote:
Love the tank. Great job.
Thanks! Your 125 is amazing. I really like what you did with your moss. It gives me some inspiration for my sand/soil divider.

Quote:
I love your tank! I have a question though. I've heard a lot of talk about rainbowfish inbreeding. Do you have any problems with your rainbows inbreeding? If so, how do you deal with it? I'm a big fan of rainbows and would like to start an all-rainbow community.]
Thank you. I'm currently raising fry right now so I will keep you updated. There are no physical deformities in my mature bows. I would highly suggest an all rainbowfish community.

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and everyone who views this journal. This is definitely a learning experience for me and all of the praise and suggestions pay off. I really want this to be a work of art. There are still some parts of the scape that I want to improve on. If anyone has any ideas for new plants or to replace plants with others let me know. I really need to get a co2 system...

Last edited by BHolmes; 07-30-2013 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: .
BHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
Galaxy Hunter
Algae Grower

Wow has that grown in nice! Looks great !
Galaxy Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 AM   #43
BHolmes
Planted Member

My first massive trim, rescape and bow breeding idea.
Here's a shot from the night before:

I wanted to change things up so I started with my battle against BBA, GDA, and stag. Instead of trying to kill the algae with chemicals and tricks I decided to focus on the plants. My first problem was that I was lighting my tank with four t5 HO bulbs and no pressurized co2. Since it will be awhile before I buy a co2 system I dropped my lighting from four to two bulbs (my two floramax). Those are now a year old so that might also be contributing to the algae. My next purchase will be two giesemann bulbs. I'm surprised that someone didn't gig my on that mistake.
Next I increased flow by removing my UV sterilizer. I added that to my system because of my bows. I didn't want any disease spreading through my tank and wiping them out. Little did I know that uv messes with the different aspects of a planted tank so I'm moving it over to qt (makes more sense, I'm smart). I also doubled the size of the spray bar and positioned it towards the front glass so all the plants receive equal flow. The improvement in flow and distribution also maximises the next upgrade, fert dosing.
I just started dosing NPK + Fe and micros with a double dose of liquid co2. Algae was taking over my plants, lower leaves were dying, pinnatifida was melting, and pinholes were showing up. Now I'm slowly learning this mysterious balancing act of the planted tank. With everything now mostly firing on all cylinders, and a little bit of patience, I should see plants exploding and algae becoming a controlled snack.
Now on to the trim and new additions! First, the tasty snack I was cooking up to fuel this eight hour adventure, applewood smoked ribs

Back to work. I needed a way to break up the border between the sand and add depth. This also sparked my idea for a mobile breeding medium for my bows. Dewalltheway's 125g tank gave me the inspiration and Jason Baliban showed me how to execute the idea. I planted the fissidens, riccia, and mystery moss (need help with ID) on slate tiles

You recieve very strange looks while buying zipties and a lufa

Help with mystery moss ID:

Now when the tiles grow out into lush mats, the bows will spawn on them. I'll transfer the tiles over to qt and hatch the fry. Once that's done I transfer them back over to the main tank and start the process all over again.
On to the rescape and trim:

I moved plants around to smooth out the scape and replanted fresh tops. Everything should grow back nice and dense and "flow" better than before. Here's the finished product at 5am:
Water murky from planting, trimmings everywhere, and glass not cleaned

I'll have cleaned up pics tonight once it gets dark. I'm excited to see how this one grows out. And last but not least, more bow fry are hatching in qt.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 AM   #44
jpappy789
Wannabe Guru

Love the tank and the bows! Super cool you're getting fry too.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #45
BHolmes
Planted Member

Thanks jpappy

Here's a new fts after everything settled in

Moon lighting

Does anyone have an idea on the mystery moss? I'm thinking Taiwan.

I also need some suggestions from everyone on replacing these 90deg elbows with curved tubing for better flow

The tubing is 3/4id

Tags
aquatek, coralife t5ho, giesemann, mgocpm, rainbowfish