Returning to Aquariums After Four Years (29 gallon Pseudomugil Tank)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
Chichevache
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Returning to Aquariums After Four Years (29 gallon Pseudomugil Tank)

I'm in the process of starting up a new 29 gallon tank after being out of fish keeping for four years. I'm planning on keeping Pseudomugil Gertrudae, carbon rili shrimp, and a clean up crew, as well as a single male betta, assuming he plays along with the rest.

Hardware:
Eheim Classic 2213
Hydor Inline Heater
Finnex Ray 2 LED light

The tank has 30 pounds of red flourite as substrate and several pieces of Ohko stone. I'm in the process of scaping the tank and would love some input on where to place my stones.

I spray painted the back of the tank matte black.

My biggest problem is finding how to place the largest piece of stone. It is absolutely gorgeous and has wonderful divots and pits throughout as well as a lovely yellowish orange tone.

The tank will also be heavily planted as well. I plan on starting a carpet of dwarf baby tears in the next week or two. If any one has a link to a good FAQ on how to do a dry start that would be wonderful. As for the rest of my plants, I will start placing them after filling the tank with water. I haven't decided on anything for sure besides some red root floaters for the betta and a few other assorted reddish plants.

My goal is to have a very high contrast tank. The reddish rock, substrate, and plants should stand out strongly against the green plants and blue-black shrimp.
Chichevache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

PTrader: (18/100%)

The dwarf baby tears probably won't grow well in the fluorite, a few years back I tried for months to get it to grow. It didn't die but didn't really grow either, the substrate wasn't rich enough in nutrients. After switching to aqua soil there was a world of a difference!

Also, this tank is pretty tall, so having enough light at substrate level for baby tears will put you in the "high tech" category, and all that comes with that. Good luck and welcome back!

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Chichevache
Algae Grower

Thanks. I'll give the tears a shot and if they fail I can switch to dwarf hairgrass. The baby tears are something my girlfriend loves. Do you think root tabs will supplement enough minerals to make up for the flourite?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichevache View Post
Thanks. I'll give the tears a shot and if they fail I can switch to dwarf hairgrass. The baby tears are something my girlfriend loves. Do you think root tabs will supplement enough minerals to make up for the flourite?
Nope, I had root tabs in mine too. Dwarf baby tears aren't the easiest plant to grow, but damn they look good. Sounds like you are pushing into high tech territory, soon you will be dosing ferts and running pressurized CO2 like so many of us.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
Chichevache
Algae Grower

I am going to do DIY for starters and if it doesn't work out for me I will probably upgrade.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
bitFUUL
Aquaponics FTW!

If you really want to try growing baby tears, try doing it emersed in soil. Sure it's not in the aquarium, but if you can keep them alive you will have a nice carpet. Then you can always do a baby tear tank in 9 months when you've grown so much it's coming out your ears.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Chichevache
Algae Grower

I want to try that. Do you have a FAQ so that I can get a good breakdown of the best way to do that?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #8
redeye
Algae Grower

I like to chime in on growing baby dwarf tears on flourite. I'm currently growing baby dwarf tears on straight black flourite. It does take time and mine is working out fine. I guess it really depends on the conditions. I didn't add any root tabs or nutrients. I was using a spray bottle with old aquarium water. Not sure it helped at all. Some people may have luck growing with flourite ... others might not. You'll have to find out yourself if it works for you. Here's a link to my tank journal on growing HC. Best of luck.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=345994
redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
redeye
Algae Grower

Thought you would like this link
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...w-planted-tank
redeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
Chichevache
Algae Grower