ADA 60P|MicMol AquaMini X2| PurpleMonkeyDishwasher - Page 8
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #106
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thank you,

How much Boron do you think is too much? My tap water has 0.023 mg/L and I dose Flourish 3x a week.

The Zinc theory sounds plausible, my tap has zero zinc, I'll cut down on the Flourish and see what happens. The higher P didn't do anything, higher Co2 gave me bigger leafs and faster growth though.

I'm also trying a higher level intensity on one side compare to the other, one of the few benefits of desk top lamps. During the last 3 days, the side of higher light had BIGGER leafs and HIGHER growth, weird. Lower light + High

Co2 = compact growth? Can't be?
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 04:36 AM   #107
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Yeah, they are a bit crazy. With the way the world economy's going toilet paper may end up being worth more than paper currency.

Now for the fun. It's time for everyone to name their tanks!

1- Your favorite color

2- Your favorite animal

3- Your favorite home appliance

Mine- Black Cat Gas Range
Blue Fish Refrigerator
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #108
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your seeing deficiencies you don't want to cut down on your fert's but perhaps increase them. One of the problems with using pre-mix is that you can't adjust it for certain issues depending upon your specific tank.

As for the leaf size fluctuating depending upon light concentration this is completely normal. When the light levels is lower plants grow fewer, larger leaves to capture as much light as possible. The stems also are more elongated as the plant reaches for more light. Under higher light the stems are shorter and the leaves are smaller.

In nature if a plant is in too shady of a place it elongates toward the light. Once it reaches the light levels it wants, it shortens down and grows happily.
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2013, 02:25 AM   #109
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ I'm getting completely different results. The shaded areas have smaller HC Cuba and the sides where I increase the light has bigger leafs and stem.

I'm trying to get a stunned yet healthy look, I did it before in another tank. I'll continue with the same routine of high light on one side compare to lower light, a few more days and it'll be noticeable.

For now, in my older pictures, the middle has the most dense growth compare to the sides which is growing HC like they were on steroids (big big leaf size) not a great look at all.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #110
hunterlook
Planted Tank Obsessed

I still can't get past the fact that your carpet is growing so well with CFL's.

Idk if you're still considering the jump to LED's but when I did it in my 40B, it was outrageous. I know everyone says that but after personally experiencing it, it was well worth it. My tank turned into a freakin madhouse jungle in literally a month. A lot more maintenance required but great end results if you go that route.

Unfortunately, life happened and I neglected the tank for a month and it completely fell apart. Had to toss half my plants and ultimately ditched the tank altogether.

My 40B Work In Progress
hunterlook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #111
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
I still can't get past the fact that your carpet is growing so well with CFL's.

Idk if you're still considering the jump to LED's but when I did it in my 40B, it was outrageous. I know everyone says that but after personally experiencing it, it was well worth it. My tank turned into a freakin madhouse jungle in literally a month. A lot more maintenance required but great end results if you go that route.

Unfortunately, life happened and I neglected the tank for a month and it completely fell apart. Had to toss half my plants and ultimately ditched the tank altogether.

I did my first scape with LED's, I find them more vibrant with extra-pop compared to CFLs.

Lighting is a weird issue for me, I been trying to find the right spectrum, intensity and photo-peroid with no luck. My plants truly did not care, my water parameters had a bigger effect.

I believe you can grow plants in a wide number of spectrums as long as the intensity is right. You make up for the lack of spectrum (red or blue) with having a higher intensity of light.

It's like having a light that looks dim to the eyes but peaks in spectrum area that plants can use most. I'm also starting to think that maybe the 'blue' range is "where it's at".

I'm thinking higher kelvins and a peak in blue (400 - 450 nm) with a modest level of red (600 nm) could be the sweet spot.

On a side note, a while back I went out and brought full spectrum CFL made for seasonal depression (does that even exist?) and it had no noticeable effect. I had some BGA but I think it came with the new plants, BGA disappear with EM treatment but I also went back to old house-hold CFL, so I don't know.

Aquatic Plants are weird, high light is great if you can control it, I'm going try going low light with high co2/lean fertilizers.

High light/High Co2/High Fertilizers works, I tired it and yes it works, but I'm going to see with the other side can offer.

Everything in this scape is done with the same bulbs you use in your kitchen and lamps.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #112
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Green bottom, Red top, apple bottom jeans....

=======

=======

How do they create the ball of stem plants? My growth is all over the place?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #113
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Carpet.... Carpet.... Carpet..... need mowing.

Last edited by FlyingHellFish; 08-08-2013 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: What's your sole purpose in this Army?! Forrest Gump: To do whatever you tell me, drill sergeant!?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #114
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^
So True

Last edited by Bserve; 08-11-2013 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Messed Up
Old 08-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #115
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

I mowed the lawn, I just hate how I can never get a uniform look like the pros. It's as if every part of the lawn is in a different phase, from growing - to half trim.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:03 AM   #116
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was talking about Forrest Gump :P
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #117
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
I mowed the lawn, I just hate how I can never get a uniform look like the pros. It's as if every part of the lawn is in a different phase, from growing - to half trim.
let it all overgrow then cut it down evenly across, and it will grow back at the same rate. you can also do things like use a wide putty knife to gently press the front edge of the h.c down to give it a more even look against the glass. i personally dont like it pressing up against the glass, it looks cool to trim the front 1" away, then tuck the front edge down into the gravel with a putty knife.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #118
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ What does trimming it 1inch from the glass do? You mean making it into a mountain or something?

I trim the entire carpet at the same time but it still grows in different rates and shape. I'm either messing around with the fertilizing doses too much, or my lights are not giving an even spread.

Some weird results -

1. Shaded glosso is growing side ways.
2. Glosso with tall stems continues to grow upwards until trim, then grows side ways.
3. Shaded HC Cuba is more compact with unhealthy growth.
4. HC Cuba exposed to light has bigger leafs.
5. HC Cuba exposed to low light with high Co2 has more compact growth.
6. Lack of Zinc results in a shorter internode with more leafs.

Just my experience ...
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 AM   #119
Ach1Ll3sH33L
Planted Tank Obsessed

could be lack of flow, could be low spots of co2 in the tank, or uneven lighting.

First the lighting, i would re position the two lights so they are on the sides pointing more or less straight down, this will be much more even spread and equal par, and thus rule this out/fix any lighting issues.

inadequate flow has a large impact on co2 distribution, as well as nutrients, so maybe the rocks are blocking flow and slowing it down in those areas, maybe flow is fine but co2 isnt reaching it very well. co2 isnt always equal throughout the tank, just cause the drop checker is green, doesnt mean there is 30ppm of co2 around the substrate, it could be much lower. my suggestion would be to ditch your current co2 injection method, and spend the $10 on a proper diffuser(your running pressurized co2 i think?) this will give a much better mist, and place it opposite your hob. every other week or how ever often you feel, you can swap which side your hob is on, this often helps kick up mulm that gets trapped as well, and can change co2 flow in case there are low areas.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #120
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

^ Could very well be, you got any good diffuser in mind? Maybe a reactor would help, I seen some of ADA's gallery 60P and they have less bubbles than what I have. I dare to say, I even have smaller bubbles. But their tank is a million times better, what in the world do they do?

Tags
ada 60p matheson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.