Parameters should be right but shrimp still dying! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #16
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)

Do you have any sort of air pump? Heck just airline and a pump will get oxygen in the water while you wait to get an airstone.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i have heard to many things about ph meters. i would get a liquid test and try that just to be sure. but yeah ph is way to low. what is the water like to need an ro filter for the house?
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #18
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/96%)

Was the ph always this low? or did it suddenly dropped so low? cause the sudden drop would definitely cause death.

ph meters are really accurate if its calibrated correctly.
aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #19
Nemue
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It was not always this low no. My airline powered filter makes bubbles and I thought that was enough, maybe I'm wrong?
Old 07-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #20
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemue View Post
It was not always this low no. My airline powered filter makes bubbles and I thought that was enough, maybe I'm wrong?
Sure, sometimes its enough if there is no stress in the tank and if things remain stable. Anytime I see my shrimp acting weird or have unexplained deaths I add another airstone immediately. More oxygen is always appreciated (and raises shrimplet survival rates as well). I have sponge filters, spraybars and extra airstones in my tanks. Plus you should always have one on hand (in my opinion) in case you need to isolate a shrimp, get shrimp shipped in (putting it into their container while they acclimate cuts down on stress). It's just one of those things I always keep extras on hand of. That and extra air pumps. That's just me though

Just the other day I had a couple of shrimp acting frantic, and heading towards the surface. I had a shadow panda sitting quite still, the complete opposite. I had done a water change the day prior but do slow drips on them so didn't feel it was an issue. I checked params and everything was as it should be so I added an extra airstone right away and they immediately calmed down and went back to normal, the shadow panda went right back to grazing and acting normal. Some dechlorinators such as Prime can lower the oxygen level in the tank. I use RO water and half dose Prime but it still might have been the cause for my problem as the only thing I'd done was a WC as normal the day before. At any rate, the tank has a spraybar running the full length breaking the surface as well as a sponge filter. That's plenty but at that moment in time apparently the extra airstone was appreciated and got them all back to normal. Worth it to me to keep them on hand

Also, I didn't look to see if you listed the size of your tank but if you just have one sponge filter you may have dead spots in the tank. I run a sponge filter on one end of my tanks and airstone on the opposite end. You could do a sponge on each end. I like to over filter and over oxygenate. I don't on my neo tank and it's something I actually need to resolve.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #21
Nemue
Algae Grower

Ok I'll add an airstone and see what that does and recheck the ph with a liquid test. I've also added paraguard just in case its an infection of some sort. If the pH really is that low how do I raise it?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldn't suggest just randomly dosing meds 'just in case'. I have lost livestock through a course of Paraguard, it's not a little wimpy chemical. If you want to do something completely harmless but possibly beneficial stick to Indian almond leaves, Alder cones, and adding an air stone. As far as pH first you need to confirm without a doubt what it is. Mosura make a product called pH Up that you might try but it's a giant PITA to use/figure out (to me anyway).
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Also, these are new shrimp to you correct? How did you acclimate them?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 AM   #24
Nemue
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Also, these are new shrimp to you correct? How did you acclimate them?
Correct, I acclimated them over a whole day of drip. Also it turns out my pH isn't bad my digital tester is off. I swear those things are always malfunctioning..... So my theory is that they got a bacterial infection. I added airstones and dosed with some paraguard. So far I haven't lost any new shrimp today so I think the paraguard is working. Will do a water change as well just in case.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #25
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemue View Post
Correct, I acclimated them over a whole day of drip. Also it turns out my pH isn't bad my digital tester is off. I swear those things are always malfunctioning..... So my theory is that they got a bacterial infection. I added airstones and dosed with some paraguard. So far I haven't lost any new shrimp today so I think the paraguard is working. Will do a water change as well just in case.

You aren't going to know if they have a bacterial infection for a couple of weeks. They don't act lethargic or any different for quite some time before it starts wiping them out.

You could have just been losing weak shrimp. At any rate, good luck with it and glad your pH isn't off. With a reading of 5 it was pretty much a sure bet it was your meter. Only a small amount of substrates will even buffer that low.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #26
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Is it just me or the whole day acclimation is way too long. Might do more harm than good.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #27
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (103/100%)

I do 30 min now a days and plop them in
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #28
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Is it just me or the whole day acclimation is way too long. Might do more harm than good.

Depends on how far off the parameters are. If I have parameters that are WAY different than where they are coming from then I drip for 4-6 hours. If things are close (TDS within 50, pH close) then I drip for 1-2 hours. Everybody has a different way of doing it, I honestly don't think there is a wrong or right way. I've noted truly ZERO difference in long drips vs short ones. I'm not in a big hurry so if they drip slow I don't really care. I've done plop and drop with neos and amanos and haven't lost a single one. Everyone will have different experiences I'm sure